Mammal

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
You can read Ford's privacy policy to read what they collect and how they use it. There are also Sync settings you can enable/disable to turn off certain features.

If you don't trust any of it and just want to disable everything, pull the fuse for the Telematics Control Unit module. The fuse is located in the BCM fuse box under the steering wheel, you can refer to the owner's manual. (Fuse 20 I think, but might be remembering wrong.)

You will lose all FordPass connectivity, over-the-air updates, navigation, Connected Services, some SiriusXM functionality, etc. And I fairly certain you will also lose all wireless Android Auto/CarPlay functionality, but admittedly I've never tried. (The wired version of those should continue to work.)

If you do decide to pull the fuse make sure you tell the service department if/when you take it in for warranty or service work. None of the remote diagnostic and service information will be vaild without the TCU functioning, so best to just let the service folks know so they're not running down a rabbit hole trying to figure it out.
Wouldn’t the TCU module just send the data later whenever the fuse is put back in?
Sponsored

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let's see if you feel that way when they do like GM and sell it to insurance companies then your rate goes up $100/month because you are somewhat heavy footed. I am not worried about my privacy, but about my pocketbook.

If you drive like a granny then you have options. Several insurance companies will offer you discounts if you let them snoop on you to verify your driving habits. I tend to drive 10 miles over the speed limit at all times, and when I am on the freeway with a radar detector and Highway Radar running I will sometimes go 20 over the limit. My insurance company will have a field day of they have hard data proving it.
Yet you proudly admit this on the unsecured internet, where there is now a historic record until eternity! lol

AMCheese

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUR RON
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

May be best to pull fuse #20

What is the company’s known track record of protecting users’ data?
Needs Improvement

In January 2023, a group of security researchers claimed they found security vulnerabilities that would allow hackers access to some Ford users' personal information.

In 2021, a bug on Ford Motor Company's website allowed for accessing sensitive systems and obtaining proprietary data, such as customer databases, employee records, internal tickets, etc.

In 2021, a class action lawsuit was filed in Washington state alleging Ford violated users' privacy by downloading and storing private SMS text messages and sharing them with law enforcement and a private company illegally. As of 2023, this lawsuit still seems to be working it's way through the courts.

In April 2020, consumer watchdog Which reported that Ford cars could have serious security flaws that could allow them to be hacked.

OP
OP

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yet you proudly admit this on the unsecured internet, where there is now a historic record until eternity! lol
Which is completely useless to the insurance company for the purpose of rate setting.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
May be best to pull fuse #20

What is the company’s known track record of protecting users’ data?
Needs Improvement

In January 2023, a group of security researchers claimed they found security vulnerabilities that would allow hackers access to some Ford users' personal information.

In 2021, a bug on Ford Motor Company's website allowed for accessing sensitive systems and obtaining proprietary data, such as customer databases, employee records, internal tickets, etc.

In 2021, a class action lawsuit was filed in Washington state alleging Ford violated users' privacy by downloading and storing private SMS text messages and sharing them with law enforcement and a private company illegally. As of 2023, this lawsuit still seems to be working it's way through the courts.

In April 2020, consumer watchdog Which reported that Ford cars could have serious security flaws that could allow them to be hacked.
On the trucks infotainment system there is a setting for insurance data and the default is off. But check to make sure you did not turn it on by accident.

With every trip recorded and so many data leak events it would be best to turn this thing off. It is like insurance, you most likely will not need it but if you do you better have it.

In the ford pass app there are some you can turn off under privacy.

How do I turn off data sharing on my Ford?
How do I manage my FordPassÂź* data sharing?
Navigate to the Account landing page.
Select the Privacy tile.
Tap Manage Your Data Sharing.
Select Vehicle Health to Dealers.
Use the toggle switch for On/Off settings.

If there are more setting please post how to turn them off.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
With every trip recorded and so many data leak events it would be best to turn this thing off. It is like insurance, you most likely will not need it but if you do you better have it.

I don't know the setting on the truck you need to change but in the ford pass app there are some you can turn off under privacy.

How do I turn off data sharing on my Ford?
How do I manage my FordPassÂź* data sharing?
Navigate to the Account landing page.
Select the Privacy tile.
Tap Manage Your Data Sharing.
Select Vehicle Health to Dealers.
Use the toggle switch for On/Off settings.

If there are more setting please post how to turn them off.

You can do it in FordPass... If it does not time out on you. It times out for me with virtually everything I ask it to do.

I noted the settings earlier in this thread. On the Sync4 screen go to settings/connectivity/connectivity settings. You can then turn off everything or some things.

OP
OP

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

SumBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep GC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can do it in FordPass... If it does not time out on you. It times out for me with virtually everything I ask it to do.

I noted the settings earlier in this thread. On the Sync4 screen go to settings/connectivity/connectivity settings. You can then turn off everything or some things.
It doesn't look like I have the option to turn anything off in the Privacy tile of the FordPass app. (I didn't see any toggle switches?)

I did turn basically everything off in the Sync4 connectivity screen in the Bronco though. Will that do it?

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wait
how would your insurance company know who is driving? I for one couldn’t care less about data tracking. Let them have it. I think the good outweighs the potentially bad

Sponsored

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's all behind the APIM, which itself is behind the Sync screen. Will require a near-complete disassembly of the dash to get to it.

The cellular antenna are about a foot away from the TCU, also in the dash.
At the dealer in 2021 I never let the sales guy down lode the app in my phone and then never was able to get my Ford reward points for buying the Bronco. This is holding back the points as ransom if you do not down load the app.

If I never down loaded the app is Ford not getting my info?

@Ford Motor Company

meh

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Eruption Green Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Can you only opt out in the car? Fordpass just shows me a dashboard with no toggles.

AMCheese

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUR RON
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Was able to log into the Ford website, drill down to the privacy area and after clicking on every link in those pages I finally got somewhere to opt out. However, I think this is just for "Opt out of Sales/Sharing" and nothing to do with vehicle telemetry. Below is the email I received from Ford. Also this may be just for CA residents.
Ford Bronco How do we turn off data sharing? 1710353736999-dw

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Can you only opt out in the car? Fordpass just shows me a dashboard with no toggles.
Same for me.

Guess I'm just going to pull the modem fuse.

I was wondering why my insurance just went up...
Sponsored