David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
How quiet is the skyrider?

I'm deciding if I should go with the soft or hard top when the order banks open again in like 6 or 12 months.

A lot of forum members here are saying that the soft top is actually quieter than the hard top since the soft top is really one giant piece and the hard top has so many panels and gaps that can have pops and whistling sounds.

So for those of you that have the skyrider installed how quiet would you say it is? Any sounds coming in from the back of the skyrider where it attaches to the hardtop? I would imagine that's one of the areas where sound can leak in. I was really surprised how quiet the softop was compared to the hardtop when I test drove both back to back. Of course there was sound coming in from the plastic and rear windows on the softop but only when next to another vehicle at a red light. When driving with the softop with no vehicles around there wasn't that much noise from in from the rear windows, at least when I drove on the road (not the highway).

Also, is there a way to lower the skyrider down a bit when it's in the open position? It looks like it's a good 12-18 inches up in the air in the rear when opened and doesn't that act like a parachute? Killing your MPG?

61gF71LAGIL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
Sponsored

J Jernigan

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Platinum, 2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The bronco aerodynamics kill your gas mileage. The thing is literally a brick.

OP
OP
BaseManSquatch

BaseManSquatch

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The bronco aerodynamics kill your gas mileage. The thing is literally a brick.
I agree 100%. Not to take this thread off topic so quickly but why did Ford have to stuff a 10 speed transmission in the Bronco?

My 1997 Toyota 4Runner had a 4 speed trans and got 19 miles city/ 23 miles highway.

The new Ford Bronco has a 10 speed trans and gets 20 mpg in the city and 22 on the highway.

That's basically the same gas mileage. Ford should have done what Toyota did with their 4runner and just use a decade old trans/engine. Those are just my thoughts though. Let's get back to the skyrider topic.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The wind noise is similar on both tops. The road noise is much louder in a soft top. Passing a tractor trailer on the highway is loud. The plastic rear windows are the reason the road noise is louder on the soft top vs glass on a hard top.

Alfa

Wildtrak
First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I agree 100%. Not to take this thread off topic so quickly but why did Ford have to stuff a 10 speed transmission in the Bronco?

My 1997 Toyota 4Runner had a 4 speed trans and got 19 miles city/ 23 miles highway.

The new Ford Bronco has a 10 speed trans and gets 20 mpg in the city and 22 on the highway.

That's basically the same gas mileage. Ford should have done what Toyota did with their 4runner and just use a decade old trans/engine. Those are just my thoughts though. Let's get back to the skyrider topic.
1997 4Runner weight 3,440 to 3,940 lbs
2023 Bronco weight 4,286 to 4,945 lbs

There might be more than the number of gears involved in the gas mileage...
Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Sponsored

Xjeepowner

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 16 JKU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah, if you wanted 10 year old tech you should have bought a 4 runner.
I looked up the specs for a 97 4 runner and it's listed at 11.5 MPG on the highway and 14.4 in the City. It makes 183 HP. Yeah not sure why Ford didn't copy that great plan. Also the MSRP in 97 was $44,000 for the limited.

SaraB

Badlands
First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Sandpoint, ID when not traveling the globe
Vehicle(s)
42' Sailboat -> Sprinter Van Conversion -> Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the sunrider so it's very similar to the skyrider only smaller. Going from the hard top setup to the sunrider I notice a noise difference. It's most obvious when other vehicles are close by or right beside me. The noise is noticably louder. It's also just a different sound in heavy rain. I don't know if I would say louder, but different. I really like it but I realize it's not for everyone.

DirtyGSer

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Compass
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
1997 4Runner weight 3,440 to 3,940 lbs
2023 Bronco weight 4,286 to 4,945 lbs

There might be more than the number of gears involved in the gas mileage...
Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
....1997 4Runner weight 3,440 to 3,940 lbs ........ 150-187 HP drag coefficient of 0.36
.....2023 Bronco weight 4,286 to 4,945 lbs ........300-330 HP drag coefficient probably closer to a G-wagon at 0.55

( Max Schenkel, technical fellow of aerodynamics for General Motors, told Edmunds that a change in the drag coefficient of just 0.01 changes the combined fuel economy of a vehicle by 0.1 mpg. )

I'm surprised that Ford can even get 22 from a 300 hp ...brick.
Sponsored