Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have seen wheels spin inside the tire when wheeling with very low air pressure. Much depends on the tire, some tires are just harder to unseat and grip the wheel better. Mud and rock grit can get into the bead, between the rim and tire and cause small leaks, which is much harder to do with a beadlock. Still, this is a pretty cool idea and would work well in most situations. I'd want to carry a bag of spare O rings for the bolts, just in case. I could go down the DOT rabbit hole, but....... :giggle:
Isn't the use case for beadlock wheels to prevent the bead from dislodging in situations when the sidewall is being pressed against, like up against a rock? Which is why the beadlock is on the outside?
Sponsored

OP
OP
VelocityBrew

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Isn't the use case for beadlock wheels to prevent the bead from dislodging in situations when the sidewall is being pressed against, like up against a rock? Which is why the beadlock is on the outside?
Same for drag wheels with bead locks on the outer portion of the rim? 🤔

Both statements are true, by the way.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Yes, side loads from ruts or rocks when air pressure is low. Also the ability to run much lower pressure in snow or sand, in which case the wheel can spin inside the tire and side loads from ruts, or turning, or off camber can cause the bead to come off because of the very low pressure. With normal beadlocks, sometimes the inner bead still comes off.
Sponsored