Improving low beams with fogs?

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 WildTrak; '06 Whippl'd Mustang (sold4upgrades)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nice setup. Dumb question. But do you have each of the 3 sets of lights, hooked up to a different switch ?
For the fogs I use adapters and use the factory switch. I also have swapped my switch panel so I have the euro rear fog button and have the rear work lights wired to it. The other 2 Offroad SS3 Combo and Spot I have wired to separate upfitter switches. I bought all the adapters, harnesses and lights from John @SPVPARTS. Excellent customer service and will walk you through your setup to figure out exactly what you need.

Check this OEM Rear Fog Switch writeup I did.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You don’t happen to have a shot of low beams only vs lows and one pair of fogs do you?
Got a new iPhone 15 Pro, didn’t realize night mode was making the lights seem brighter in the pic than normal. Took some pics with night mode disabled in 4:3 and 16:9. They also seemed brighter in the pic in 4:3. 16:9 looked more true to life. Don’t mind my skelly head at the hood line. 💀

4:3
Max fog only:
Ford Bronco Improving low beams with fogs? IMG_7306

Low beam only
Ford Bronco Improving low beams with fogs? IMG_7307

Both:
Ford Bronco Improving low beams with fogs? IMG_7308

16:9
Max Fog only
Ford Bronco Improving low beams with fogs? IMG_7309

Low beam only
Ford Bronco Improving low beams with fogs? IMG_7310

Both
Ford Bronco Improving low beams with fogs? IMG_7311

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

ours are much simpler:

TITLE 49
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 9
VEHICLE EQUIPMENT
49-918. SPOT LAMPS AND AUXILIARY LAMPS. (1) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two (2) spot lamps, and each lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used upon approaching another vehicle that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam will be directed to the left of the prolongation of the extreme left side of the vehicle nor more than one hundred (100) feet ahead of the vehicle.
(2) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two (2) fog lamps mounted on the front, at a height not less than twelve (12) inches nor more than thirty (30) inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands, and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high-intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of twenty-five (25) feet ahead project higher than a level of four (4) inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes. Lighted fog lamps meeting these requirements may be used with lower head lamp beams as specified in section 49-922(2), Idaho Code.
(3) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two (2) auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than twenty-four (24) inches nor more than forty-two (42) inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands. The provisions of section 49-922, Idaho Code, shall apply to any combination of head lamps and auxiliary passing lamps.
(4) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two (2) auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than sixteen (16) inches nor more than forty-two (42) inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands. The provisions of section 49-922, Idaho Code, shall apply to any combination of head lamps and auxiliary driving lamps.
History:
[49-918, added 1988, ch. 265, sec. 244, p. 697.]

OuterJersey

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota,VW, Lexus, Triumph, Honda MC
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
And I’m sure in Idaho LEOs actually enforce laws. Here you’ll get pulled over ..maybe…if you run someone over. Traffic law enforcement has left the building.

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I run SS6 SAE fogs in a mod bumper. They are slightly aimed out to fix the terrible lack of spillover. I love them and have them aimed properly for on road use.

Ford Bronco Improving low beams with fogs? IMG_9014_Original

Sponsored

Luckylat

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Expedition, 2013 VW Wagon, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
At least in Texas, not quite how it works. They’re not illegal if over 3k lumens, they must just be properly aimed and that’s if over 300 candlepower (3,771
Lumens). Candlepower x12.57 = Lumens. This is also how the Max fog and driving are SAE compliant given the precise cutoff/pattern.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/TN/htm/TN.547.htm
Every state has a slight variation of what is legal/allowable brightness & color for head lamps, fog lights, etc.. Some more conservative than others. Before adding any lights I would double check with the state your vehicle is registered in.

Diode Dynamics

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John C.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I run SS6 SAE fogs in a mod bumper. They are slightly aimed out to fix the terrible lack of spillover. I love them and have them aimed properly for on road use.

Thanks for sharing!

We always love to see Bronco owners branding out from our pods and utilizing our SAE-compliant SS6 LED light bars :cool:

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

Many users aren't aware that our Stage Series Light Bars utilize our TIR optics just like our pods!

Did you pick up this kit from @4x4TruckLEDs.com or custom mounted?

OP
OP

a.smith

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for sharing!

We always love to see Bronco owners branding out from our pods and utilizing our SAE-compliant SS6 LED light bars :cool:

Many users aren't aware that our Stage Series Light Bars utilize our TIR optics just like our pods!

Did you pick up this kit from @4x4TruckLEDs.com or custom mounted?
Do your SS3 kits still require cutting the plastic bumper?

Diode Dynamics

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John C.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Do your SS3 kits still require cutting the plastic bumper?
Yes, there is a slight plastic trimming required for fitment.

You can see ExtremeTerrain at 3:52 utilizes different hardware for another option regarding the installation process without trimming.

It's important to note, that our Elite Series fog lamps do not require slight plastic trimming for fitment and are plug-and-play without modification.

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Got a new iPhone 15 Pro, didn’t realize night mode was making the lights seem brighter in the pic than normal. Took some pics with night mode disabled in 4:3 and 16:9. They also seemed brighter in the pic in 4:3. 16:9 looked more true to life. Don’t mind my skelly head at the hood line. 💀

4:3
Max fog only:

Low beam only

Both:

16:9
Max Fog only

Low beam only

Both
16:9 does look more true to life. Did you take any more photos of your other lights in 16:9?

Sponsored

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

16:9 does look more true to life. Did you take any more photos of your other lights in 16:9?
Man, y'all are really making me work! :ROFLMAO: I'll see if I can snag a couple of the SS3 Pro's in 16:9. My wife already asked why she saw me/Bronco on the camera sitting in the middle of the cul de sac @ midnight... :sneaky:

Hoping to get some nice trail shots in the coming month, haven't been able to get away...

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Are you guys taking about factory LED or halogens? My capable bumper fogs are normally on, but I can't complain to much on the LED low beams.
Maybe I don't know what I'm missing? I need to test drive an Audi.
I have an Audi with LEDs.

My Outer Banks LED headlights are great.

Nothing could touch my old Lexus GX 460, I always got flashed by people. Triple Xenons in each headlight….. LED fogs…. From the factory.

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Man, y'all are really making me work! :ROFLMAO: I'll see if I can snag a couple of the SS3 Pro's in 16:9. My wife already asked why she saw me/Bronco on the camera sitting in the middle of the cul de sac @ midnight... :sneaky:

Hoping to get some nice trail shots in the coming month, haven't been able to get away...
Everyone needs a hobby 😁

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for sharing!

Did you pick up this kit from or custom mounted?
Yes, I used @4x4TruckLEDs.com very simple kit.

I am shocked at how few people use this option for what seems like a much more common used case.