John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve decided to give this one with a Yakima platform a try.

IMG_3834.jpeg
For the greater 6g good, the best test would be to try that rack with a Skyrider, and see if the rack keeps the softtop from lying down. It would seem that that rack with a Yakima basket would be even worse than the TrailRax half-rack! But trying is knowing!

@TrailRax you might look at making a rack with modified front corners, so the @Besttop skyrider can lay down more fully onto the rack.

20231019_143132.jpg

20231013_130652.jpg
Sponsored

TheNexrum

Wildtrak
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco, 22 Expedition Max, 19 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

For the greater 6g good, the best test would be to try that rack with a Skyrider, and see if the rack keeps the softtop from lying down. It would seem that that rack with a Yakima basket would be even worse than the TrailRax half-rack! But trying is knowing!

@TrailRax you might look at making a rack with modified front corners, so the @Besttop skyrider can lay down more fully onto the rack.

Ford Bronco Installed our Bestop Skyrider for Hardtop 20231013_130652

Ford Bronco Installed our Bestop Skyrider for Hardtop 20231013_130652
I wouldn’t be running the Yakima platform regularly, just when I go on a road trip or off-roading.

MaximuNashville

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For those that have the skyrider - any issues with it pulling to one side? I just finished mine this evening. The right side feels tighter and it looks like it’s a few mm’s off to the right. I can also hear the cable when closing that side, but that could be normal for all I know. I’ve checked my install against the few install videos out there and everything looks good. Everything is even as far as I can tell. No idea what else to check on this thing. 🤷🏻‍♂️ It does close, have it latched up right now wondering if that side of the twill was just tighter.

OP
OP
Jo8n

Jo8n

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For those that have the skyrider - any issues with it pulling to one side? I just finished mine this evening. The right side feels tighter and it looks like it’s a few mm’s off to the right. I can also hear the cable when closing that side, but that could be normal for all I know. I’ve checked my install against the few install videos out there and everything looks good. Everything is even as far as I can tell. No idea what else to check on this thing. 🤷🏻‍♂️ It does close, have it latched up right now wondering if that side of the twill was just tighter.
We haven’t noticed anything like that. Having had it for about a year now, we recently noticed one side is louder on the freeway—the right passenger area. Not sure if it’s new or we just didn’t pay that much attention to it before.

Getting to the point, is the side you suspect is wrong any louder while driving?

MaximuNashville

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We haven’t noticed anything like that. Having had it for about a year now, we recently noticed one side is louder on the freeway—the right passenger area. Not sure if it’s new or we just didn’t pay that much attention to it before.

Getting to the point, is the side you suspect is wrong any louder while driving?
thanks for the response! Not sure what to think at this point. I’ve taken it off and started over with no luck. Even had the top confirmed at square thinking that could be the culprit. It’s LOUD at speed, but it’s all rattling and not wind noise. I sent besttop some where it’s it lining up and a video - I think at first they assumed I installed incorrectly but they’ve since escalated to their quality department so assuming it’s right. The gap on one front side seems especially large. The rattling is killing me though… about to just take it off and return at this point. Seems like a brilliant setup but I think I just got unlucky. Unfortunately it’s way to cold outside to keep messing with this thing and I’m really just wanting to return and try again in the spring.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jo8n

Jo8n

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
thanks for the response! Not sure what to think at this point. I’ve taken it off and started over with no luck. Even had the top confirmed at square thinking that could be the culprit. It’s LOUD at speed, but it’s all rattling and not wind noise. I sent besttop some where it’s it lining up and a video - I think at first they assumed I installed incorrectly but they’ve since escalated to their quality department so assuming it’s right. The gap on one front side seems especially large. The rattling is killing me though… about to just take it off and return at this point. Seems like a brilliant setup but I think I just got unlucky. Unfortunately it’s way to cold outside to keep messing with this thing and I’m really just wanting to return and try again in the spring.
That does suck and definitely get the frustration and wanting to return it. One thing that just occurred to me is if you look earlier in this thread you will see me and perhaps one or two others struggling with these two pieces. I was wondering if, by chance, you got one of these installed incorrectly because one side was either labelled wrong or perhaps even you received two of the same side (just a stab in the dark) because perhaps that would explain one side being "off"...?

See this particular post:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/installed-our-bestop-skyrider-for-hardtop.63634/post-1756589

Last edited:

MaximuNashville

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That does suck and definitely get the frustration and wanting to return it. One thing that just occurred to me is if you look earlier in this thread you will see me and perhaps one or two others struggling with these two pieces. I was wondering if, by chance, you got one of these installed incorrectly because one side was either labelled wrong or perhaps even you received two of the same side (just a stab in the dark) because perhaps that would explain one side being "off"...?

See this particular post:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/installed-our-bestop-skyrider-for-hardtop.63634/post-1756589
Actually your all’s post is the only reason I did it right to begin with 🤣. They wanted pictures of the foam pads installed in their last comm. That’s absolutely not the issue but when taking it off for the 4th or 5th time (alone) to get some I put a nice ding/scratch in the bronco. 100% not their fault but it was the final straw for me to give up on the skyrider for now. I had to have just gotten a bad one somehow based on confirmation that my install was correct (really felt like one side of the twill was shorter but who knows). I love the concept so might try it again once the weather and my patience improve. Appreciate the responses here!

OP
OP
Jo8n

Jo8n

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Actually your all’s post is the only reason I did it right to begin with 🤣. They wanted pictures of the foam pads installed in their last comm. That’s absolutely not the issue but when taking it off for the 4th or 5th time (alone) to get some I put a nice ding/scratch in the bronco. 100% not their fault but it was the final straw for me to give up on the skyrider for now. I had to have just gotten a bad one somehow based on confirmation that my install was correct (really felt like one side of the twill was shorter but who knows). I love the concept so might try it again once the weather and my patience improve. Appreciate the responses here!
Glad there was some help there but really too bad this problem was not fixable. Sorry to hear about the ding/scratch and I'm sure I'd be done per that as well. I know returning it is a bummer and I'm sure a PITA.

I hope you do give it another shot and in better weather as you said because it really is nice to be able to throw the top back at a moment's notice.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ll itching to get a skyrider next spring so I’ll be watching your YouTube channel closely!
Alright it finally happened... I finally got around to removing the Skyrider, and the video is here!

I ran into some unexpected wear and tear issues (as well as unexpected weather). So needless to say the video didn't exactly turn out as planned—kind of a comedy of errors to be honest. But hopefully it'll give you an idea of what the removal process is like.

BigBlue7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Black Diamond Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Alright it finally happened... I finally got around to removing the Skyrider, and the video is here!

I ran into some unexpected wear and tear issues (as well as unexpected weather). So needless to say the video didn't exactly turn out as planned—kind of a comedy of errors to be honest. But hopefully it'll give you an idea of what the removal process is like.

Watching now!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jo8n

Jo8n

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

The weather never cooperates!

Nice to see the process. I might partially remove mine to tighten things up where it attaches to the hard top. Been getting a squeak and I can't figure out where it's coming from.

Star

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi everyone. I'm Greg, some may know me as Star on FB. Was reading this thread since I'm torn between the Sunrider and the Skyrider. I hate the idea of not having a decent sized half rack, but also hate not having a full open view above as offered by the Skyrider. I did see the Skyrider with the Trail Rax rack and I think it lays too high up for my taste. I have found two other options. The best option may be American Adventure Lab Bronco Mass Roof Rack, however I will contact them tomorrow about accessory arms hanging down from the clamps to hold Rotopax, that is important to me. The other by Badass Tents, this one does have accessory arms for Rotopax or other stuff. But this one unfortunately has the side rails that continue forward from where the clamps and cross rails connect. I'm concerned the front corner of the side rails will hit the Skyrider control link arms preventing it from lying down further. Does anyone have the measurement of the arm link from the passenger side to the driver side?

There is a last option if no half rack works well with the Skyrider and that is a Badass Tents Rotopax side mount. I attached a pic of a single one. With this I can carry a 3 gallon Rotopax on each side of the Bronco. That would save some space inside if I use the Rotopax for water. Thoughts?

Ford Bronco Installed our Bestop Skyrider for Hardtop badass tents half-roof-rack-blk2

Ford Bronco Installed our Bestop Skyrider for Hardtop Bronco-mass-roof-rack-rails-5

Ford Bronco Installed our Bestop Skyrider for Hardtop badass-tents-rotopax-side-mount-for-new-bronco-4

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jo8n

Jo8n

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi everyone. I'm Greg, some may know me as Star on FB. Was reading this thread since I'm torn between the Sunrider and the Skyrider. I hate the idea of not having a decent sized half rack, but also hate not having a full open view above as offered by the Skyrider. I did see the Skyrider with the Trail Rax rack and I think it lays too high up for my taste. I have found two other options. The best option may be American Adventure Lab Bronco Mass Roof Rack, however I will contact them tomorrow about accessory arms hanging down from the clamps to hold Rotopax, that is important to me. The other by Badass Tents, this one does have accessory arms for Rotopax or other stuff. But this one unfortunately has the side rails that continue forward from where the clamps and cross rails connect. I'm concerned the front corner of the side rails will hit the Skyrider control link arms preventing it from lying down further. Does anyone have the measurement of the arm link from the passenger side to the driver side?

I had an email conversation earlier this week with Raket's Derick. My idea was to use their BakRak tower but set the tower backward by one set of bolts on the mount. Derick let me know they recently changed their V2 design to have more bolts (from 5 to 7) staggered so I'd have to set it back by 2 bolts for the hole pattern to match up.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since I was looking into it.
> Does anyone have the measurement of the arm link from the passenger side to the driver side?
That said, lemme go get that measure for ya.

OP
OP
Jo8n

Jo8n

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... Does anyone have the measurement of the arm link from the passenger side to the driver side?
Hopefully, one of these is what you're looking for.

Take all measurements with a grain of salt as it was not easy with tape measure in one hand and phone in other with only one person but

First, I'm measuring from the passenger side to the driver side on the forward side of the control link (forward when open). This would be 54.5"
Ford Bronco Installed our Bestop Skyrider for Hardtop 1709334349603

Next, we have the other end of the control link further back (where it curves inward).
I'd call it 49.5-50" to be safe.
Ford Bronco Installed our Bestop Skyrider for Hardtop 1709334446290

Sitting above that, we have one of the bow assemblies. 52.5-53"
Ford Bronco Installed our Bestop Skyrider for Hardtop 1709334564857

In the next few photos, I just try to give an idea of where these guys sit relative to the start of the window, the mount point, and the forward edge of the shell itself. Obviously, it's hard to get accurate measurements in this area so I don't really want to call out any specifics.
Ford Bronco Installed our Bestop Skyrider for Hardtop 1709334746339

Ford Bronco Installed our Bestop Skyrider for Hardtop 1709334771569

Ford Bronco Installed our Bestop Skyrider for Hardtop 1709334836469

Ford Bronco Installed our Bestop Skyrider for Hardtop 1709335092181

1709334751279.png

Star

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
T
Hopefully, one of these is what you're looking for.

Take all measurements with a grain of salt as it was not easy with tape measure in one hand and phone in other with only one person but

First, I'm measuring from the passenger side to the driver side on the forward side of the control link (forward when open). This would be 54.5"
Ford Bronco Installed our Bestop Skyrider for Hardtop 1709334751279

Next, we have the other end of the control link further back (where it curves inward).
I'd call it 49.5-50" to be safe.

Sitting above that, we have one of the bow assemblies. 52.5-53"

In the next few photos, I just try to give an idea of where these guys sit relative to the start of the window, the mount point, and the forward edge of the shell itself. Obviously, it's hard to get accurate measurements in this area so I don't really want to call out any specifics.

Thank you so much. This definitely helps. I think I found a half rack that will not interfere with the Bestop Skyrider, but I'm going to install before I show it to make sure it really fits. Thanks again, I appreciate it :)
Sponsored