Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I admit I might have used the wrong terminology, I was talking about the difference between an "air-to-air" intercooler vs an "air-to-water" which is technically not the same thing. I have heard the latter referred to as a charge cooler, but I suppose several of those terms are used somewhat interchangeably. An air-to-water setup, does not always run what most people would refer to as an "intercooler." Although that might be more common on supercharged engines, perhaps not on turbo cars.
In industry an Air-to-Air is referred to as a CAC (Charged Air Cooler, pronounced CACK) a water-to-air is a WACAC (Water-to-air CAC, WA-CACK).

Charged air just means compressed air created through forced induction (FI), whether that be belt-driven supercharger, electric supercharger, or turbo.

OEMs love their acronyms.

Last edited:

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All ya need to know is according to Mustang6g, Mishimoto, S3 mag and a few others, an upgraded intercooler makes a world of difference

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Just thought I would put this up as no one has talked about intercoolers. Living in Arizona, an aftermarket larger capacity intercooler will definately help in the summer months. Has anyone seen a vendor promoting one for the Bronco yet?
Mishimoto has a large selection, and I'm sure will make something more Bronco specific.
Not sure how this thread got bumped up again, but as it's here. Information on upgraded intercooler piping was made in January of '21, so it's been talked about, and for the Bronco, it can take units from Ranger with minor adaption.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/mishimoto-releases-intercooler-piping-for-2-3t-ranger.10773/

There's also links to Mishimoto's research on the topic, plus the full thread on Ranger5g linked in the linked thread.

Anyway, for all the bro's broing up the broskies and their broboards to type up some broness, i'll just leave that above.

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

mustang-vs-gt-best-ecoboost-mustang-mods/

INTERCOOLER & CHARGE PIPES

-The stock intercooler on the Mustang is small. While it does okay on the stock tune, once we try and push more boost, especially in the high RPMs, the temperatures rise rapidly. With the new giant intercooler, this all changed.

-CP-E offers two intercoolers, and several charge pipe options for the Mustang. For these tests, we used our Stage-2 race intercooler. This is one of the biggest cores on the market, at 21″x17″x3.75″ or 1339 cubic inches. For comparison, the stock intercooler is 5.5″x20,6″x3,25″ or 368 cubic inches. This means our race intercooler has a 3.6 times larger core than stock! The smaller CP-E stock-fitment intercooler would have worked just fine for this test & allowed us to keep the grill shutters, but the owner of the car wanted to leave room for future upgrades.

View attachment 12864

We did several tests with the new intercooler, to compare the charge-air temperatures. The intercooler was able to pick up 30whp and 11wtq with zero tuning changes!

New numbers = 275whp and 315wtq.

The stock intercooler was really holding it back! Compared to the peak of 173 degrees of the stock intercooler, the new CP-E intercooler kept the peak temperature down at 90 degrees. Keep in mind, it was 83 degrees in the shop! We also loaded the COBB Stage-2 tune as well, which is made to optimize a larger intercooler. It picked up a few more HP here.

We then went back and loaded the stock tune – just to see if there was any difference with the bigger intercooler on a totally stock tune. Even with the throttle being closed most of the run (due to the aftermarket intake), the car picked up 10hp in the top-end vs the stock baseline. This shows that even if you don’t plan on tuning the car, the intercooler is still a worthwhile investment for efficiency, cooling, and power.
Bump
Ford Bronco Intercoolers 1625100969044

Ford Bronco Intercoolers 1625100997768

Remember, that's stock vs aftermarket and to reiterate:

We did several tests with the new intercooler, to compare the charge-air temperatures. The intercooler was able to pick up 30whp and 11wtq with zero tuning changes!

The stock intercooler was really holding it back! Compared to the peak of 173 degrees of the stock intercooler, the new CP-E intercooler kept the peak temperature down at 90 degrees. Keep in mind, it was 83 degrees in the shop! We also loaded the COBB Stage-2 tune as well, which is made to optimize a larger intercooler. It picked up a few more HP here.

We then went back and loaded the stock tune – just to see if there was any difference with the bigger intercooler on a totally stock tune. Even with the throttle being closed most of the run (due to the aftermarket intake), the car picked up 10hp in the top-end vs the stock baseline. This shows that even if you don’t plan on tuning the car, the intercooler is still a worthwhile investment for efficiency, cooling, and power.
______

That all said, who's gonna be first on the market with complete kit?

Sponsored

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I imagine an intercooler for the twin turbos would be difficult to fit under there and as other have mentioned would increase turbo lag significantly. There are a lot of cars that do fine in AZ without intercoolers. I don't think the 2.7 with it's direct injection, at least in stock form is going to have too many issues with detonation or anything from the AZ heat. In any case I'll be interested to see what people are able to come up with.
I put a Wagner CAC on my 17 F150 3.5 eb. No increase in turbo lag and IAT2 temps are way lower. Without it the pcm pulls timing in hot west Texas