WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford intercoolers are historically wimpy. The one on my Explorer ST is about 1/4 the size of the aftermarket one by Whipple that people rave about, even though it's a bitch to install: https://www.steeda.com/whipple-eb-8130-explorer-st-mega-cooler-intercooler

There will be a lot of interest in aftermarket modification. I'm willing to bet someone will make a beefier intercooler.
Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This link just popped up in my FB feed, don’t know much about them, but looks like they have some performance parts for the 2.3L

https://www.mountuneusa.com/Ford-Ranger-Upgrades-s/1895.htm
Most likely Facebook knew you were thinking about upgrades and read your mind. Or you may have said something out loud and the microphone picked it up. "Hey, honey, I'm really going to need to upgrade that Bronco and the 2.7 liter engine." <Facebook listening device activated... ad inserted>

LostInArizona

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands non-sas 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh yeah? Which turbo cars without intercoolers do "fine?"
If you're expecting me to list every car that does not use air-air intercoolers... well you can do that research on your own, as I am not that motivated at the moment lol. That said, there are a plenty of smaller cars with single turbos running low boost (stock or otherwise) that don't have intercoolers. Obviously we are not talking about high strung engines in sports cars and what not. Some cars run charge coolers without an intercooler as well. They all have issues with heat soak in the middle of summer here, intercooled or not, but generally speaking most modern engines in their stock form (especially DI engines) seem to manage fine . We seem to have more of an issue with the life of the turbos here than anything.

In any case, I hadn't seen the intercooler piping/radiator on the Bronco in pics that have circulated, so I wasn't sure what it was running otherwise. I just assume it would be difficult to fit anything (presumably bigger) under the hood there that would provide any additional benefit here in AZ. Unless you were cranking up the boost by a lot. Regardless, a larger intercooler means more turbo lag which I'm sure would not be desirable in an off road vehicle. I dont know much in general about the 2.7 as I am coming from Subraru world, but in hindsight I guess it was silly of me to assume that it might not be intercooled, particularly given the hp/torque figures its cranking out.

Last edited:

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
[QUOTE="Laminar, post: 600476, member: 3608"

Oh yeah? Which turbo cars without intercoolers do "fine?"
[/QUOTE]

Most turbo cars pre-mid 1980's and earlier were hot air cars (non-intercooled), so the early GN's, Chrysler 2.2's, whole bunch of foreign nameplates, Jetfire Oldsmobiles in the early 60's had chemical intercooling if I recall correctly... granted, not a lot of them left, but they are out there. If you are looking for a list of current models, I will list them below;

that is all.

QuitPlayinWithYourDingy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Rav4 V6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Pre-turbo? Air goes in turbo, goes in IC, goes in engine.

You should only need a larger IC if you've tuned your motor to push more than a few pounds of boost over stock along with intake/exhaust upgrades.

Sponsored

Norderwurm

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ahh cool! I hadn't seen the intercooler in the under-hood pics. Where is it? Front mount somewhere?
The intercooler is directly behind the radar pad in the center hole of the front bumper

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My rule of thumb is this: You're going to add power, you have to add an Intercooler.

As asked here, how many Ecobooms were running stock Intercooler's?

BearWithMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Most turbo cars pre-mid 1980's and earlier were hot air cars (non-intercooled), so the early GN's, Chrysler 2.2's, whole bunch of foreign nameplates, Jetfire Oldsmobiles in the early 60's had chemical intercooling if I recall correctly... granted, not a lot of them left, but they are out there. If you are looking for a list of current models, I will list them below;

that is all.
Amen. All this talk of "pre turbo" intercoolers and non-intercooled turbos in this thread is just making me wonder what planet (or decade) some posters are familiar with.

Modern passenger vehicles with turbos have intercooled turbos. Turbo makes hot compressed air > intercooler cools it down > cooled compressed air goes in engine intake.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

should have gone with a supercharger instead. Had a car once with it.. so nice.

but I guess for low end torque they had to go turbo?

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Amen. All this talk of "pre turbo" intercoolers and non-intercooled turbos in this thread is just making me wonder what planet (or decade) some posters are familiar with.

Modern passenger vehicles with turbos have intercooled turbos. Turbo makes hot compressed air > intercooler cools it down > cooled compressed air goes in engine intake.
Well if we're being pedantic.

Turbo takes work out of exhaust gas -> Work goes into compressor -> Compressor makes hot compressed air -> intercooler reduces compressed air temperature increasing density further -> cooled compressed air goes into cylinder -> exhaust gas goes into turbo

Sponsored

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just thought I would put this up as no one has talked about intercoolers. Living in Arizona, an aftermarket larger capacity intercooler will definately help in the summer months. Has anyone seen a vendor promoting one for the Bronco yet?
I know we've had internal talks of possibly offering one. My Bronco would be the beta. Our specialty is obviously superchargers but we know a thing or two about the intercoolers that support them and do offer an upgraded core for the Raptor.
Ford Bronco Intercoolers IMG_20210303_134514

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you're expecting me to list every car that does not use air-air intercoolers... well you can do that research on your own, as I am not that motivated at the moment lol. That said, there are a plenty of smaller cars with single turbos running low boost (stock or otherwise) that don't have intercoolers. Obviously we are not talking about high strung engines in sports cars and what not. Some cars run charge coolers without an intercooler as well. They all have issues with heat soak in the middle of summer here, intercooled or not, but generally speaking most modern engines in their stock form (especially DI engines) seem to manage fine . We seem to have more of an issue with the life of the turbos here than anything.

In any case, I hadn't seen the intercooler piping/radiator on the Bronco in pics that have circulated, so I wasn't sure what it was running otherwise. I just assume it would be difficult to fit anything (presumably bigger) under the hood there that would provide any additional benefit here in AZ. Unless you were cranking up the boost by a lot. Regardless, a larger intercooler means more turbo lag which I'm sure would not be desirable in an off road vehicle. I dont know much in general about the 2.7 as I am coming from Subraru world, but in hindsight I guess it was silly of me to assume that it might not be intercooled, particularly given the hp/torque figures its cranking out.
Bro, just stop. 😆 😆

LostInArizona

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bro, just stop. 😆 😆
Ok, Bro. :rolleyes:

You feel like you need resurrect a thread so you can call out some shit without providing context? Or are you just commenting to be a dick? As I said at the end of that comment, it was silly of me to assume at first that the 2.7 is not intercooled, but there is still, technically, nothing wrong about what I said, however it might warrant some clarification.

I admit I might have used the wrong terminology, I was talking about the difference between an "air-to-air" intercooler vs an "air-to-water" which is technically not the same thing. I have heard the latter referred to as a charge cooler, but I suppose several of those terms are used somewhat interchangeably. An air-to-water setup, does not always run what most people would refer to as an "intercooler." Although that might be more common on supercharged engines, perhaps not on turbo cars.

Last edited:

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok, Bro. :rolleyes:

You feel like you need resurrect a thread so you can call out some shit without providing context? Or are you just commenting to be a dick? As I said at the end of that comment, it was silly of me to assume at first that the 2.7 is not intercooled, but there is still, technically, nothing wrong about what I said, although it might warrant some clarification.

I admit I might have used the wrong terminology, I was talking about the difference between an "air-to-air" intercooler vs an "air-to-water" which is technically not the same thing. I have heard the latter referred to as a charge cooler, but I suppose several of those terms are used somewhat interchangeably. An air-to-water setup, does not always run what most people would refer to as an "intercooler."
Silly is not the correct word, maybe "ignorant to assume"? You said there are plenty of turbo vehicles driving around AZ without intercoolers. Name a few. Name one OE turbo vehicle produced in the last 30 years that doesn't incorporate an intercooler to cool the air intake temps. No offense but your long drawn out messages have no value.

LostInArizona

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Silly is not the correct word, maybe "ignorant to assume"? You said there are plenty of turbo vehicles driving around AZ without intercoolers. Name a few. Name one OE turbo vehicle produced in the last 30 years that doesn't incorporate an intercooler to cool the air intake temps. No offense but your long drawn out messages have no value.
You're response has no value. This conversation has no value. What's your point? You just feel like you need to cherry pick something from my comments and stir shit to make yourself feel better or smarter?

To your point I am not aware of OEM systems not using "air to air" intercoolers, nor do I research and catalog every new car that comes out with a turbo. However I have spent enough time at car/truck shows, the drag strip, and elsewhere and have seen setups NOT using air to air intercoolers. Whether they're OEM or not, I don't know, to be honest I wasn't making note of every instance, anticipating this conversation, so I could win a pointless debate. 🙄
Sponsored