Sponsored

JcrOffroad Mod bumper winch plate now available!

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks again! That makes it much more clear... from their pictures it is tough to get an idea of exactly how much of that unit is blocked. Before you relocated yours, did it just not work at all or was it hit or miss?
Hey, I don't have the same setup as you, but thought I could provide some perspective. I have a badlands with lux package and recently bought the JCR vanguard bumper so I went through a similar process to you.

The one thing that I wanted to note (and you'll see this if you choose to relocate your ACC sensor) is that every ACC sensor is independently "calibrated" (really aimed) at the factory. So the sensor is mounted to this contraption with screws that can be turned to aim it properly likely due to manufacturing tolerance stack-up etc. So everybody's sensor is likely aimed slightly differently from the factory. I used the ACC relocation bracket from JCR off-road in conjunction with my new bumper and it works 100% of the time. Having said that, after seeing the guts of this thing, it seems fairly obvious that this cannot be guaranteed, and so it makes sense that there will be a few fringe folks out there that have results that do not match JCR's results.

Having said that, theoretically it should be possible to get the sensor "recalibrated" (re-aimed) in it's new position, in fact I think I've seen dealerships that advertise this capability.

One other thing, the Badlands APEX 12k lbs winch comes with a solenoid relocation bracket in the box.
Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey, I don't have the same setup as you, but thought I could provide some perspective. I have a badlands with lux package and recently bought the JCR vanguard bumper so I went through a similar process to you.

The one thing that I wanted to note (and you'll see this if you choose to relocate your ACC sensor) is that every ACC sensor is independently "calibrated" (really aimed) at the factory. So the sensor is mounted to this contraption with screws that can be turned to aim it properly likely due to manufacturing tolerance stack-up etc. So everybody's sensor is likely aimed slightly differently from the factory. I used the ACC relocation bracket from JCR off-road in conjunction with my new bumper and it works 100% of the time. Having said that, after seeing the guts of this thing, it seems fairly obvious that this cannot be guaranteed, and so it makes sense that there will be a few fringe folks out there that have results that do not match JCR's results.

Having said that, theoretically it should be possible to get the sensor "recalibrated" (re-aimed) in it's new position, in fact I think I've seen dealerships that advertise this capability.

One other thing, the Badlands APEX 12k lbs winch comes with a solenoid relocation bracket in the box.
Thanks! Just trying to figure out if I want the hoops to jump through. Does the Vanguard setup reduce the overall opening size of the OEM Modular bumper?

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks! Just trying to figure out if I want the hoops to jump through. Does the Vanguard setup reduce the overall opening size of the OEM Modular bumper?
I didn't measure it, but from memory I'd say the Vanguard opening is the same or larger than OEM. The difference is that the opening is in a slightly different location, hence the need to move the ACC sensor down about an inch.

The bumper comes with a plate to close off that area and still provide a sensor hole but I haven't installed it due to cooling concerns.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didn't measure it, but from memory I'd say the Vanguard opening is the same or larger than OEM. The difference is that the opening is in a slightly different location, hence the need to move the ACC sensor down about an inch.

The bumper comes with a plate to close off that area and still provide a sensor hole but I haven't installed it due to cooling concerns.
I couldn't figure out why anyone would want to install that plate...I imagine Ford would have issues with anything even remotely related to warranty if anyone overheats or has issues with the cruise control or early collision system with the ACC unit relocated and/or proximity sensors moved. The other thing I have to consider is that I bought a full set of Diode Dynamics fog/driving lights, and they don't fit the Vanguard bumper. Decisions decisions...

I was about to snag the Asfir setup, but that setup requires disabling the sensors.

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I couldn't figure out why anyone would want to install that plate...I imagine Ford would have issues with anything even remotely related to warranty if anyone overheats or has issues with the cruise control or early collision system with the ACC unit relocated and/or proximity sensors moved. The other thing I have to consider is that I bought a full set of Diode Dynamics fog/driving lights, and they don't fit the Vanguard bumper. Decisions decisions...

I was about to snag the Asfir setup, but that setup requires disabling the sensors.
I hear ya.
I'll just give you my opinion...
Lights should be the most flexible part of your build. There are so many constraints that you need to consider if you want to add a winch and keep all your tech active that you really don't want to add lights constraints to that equation. Buy your lights around your bumper build, don't try to pick a bumper solution based on a specific brand of lights. I'd try to return your DD lights if they don't fit, or sell after market.
I'm not sure what you bought and why it wouldn't work with the Vanguard tho. I bought a pair of baja designs fogs and LP6s and they work out and look great. I did have to drill holes in the bumper to mount the LP6s but you'll have to do that with any bumper.

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hear ya.
I'll just give you my opinion...
Lights should be the most flexible part of your build. There are so many constraints that you need to consider if you want to add a winch and keep all your tech active that you really don't want to add lights constraints to that equation. Buy your lights around your bumper build, don't try to pick a bumper solution based on a specific brand of lights. I'd try to return your DD lights if they don't fit, or sell after market.
I'm not sure what you bought and why it wouldn't work with the Vanguard tho. I bought a pair of baja designs fogs and LP6s and they work out and look great. I did have to drill holes in the bumper to mount the LP6s but you'll have to do that with any bumper.
I bought 2 SS3 Max fogs and 4 SS2 pros...and they all fit like a glove in the modular bumper pockets. Too late to send them back, and I am sure I could make them work with something else. With the Vanguard I'd need the ACC relocation bracket and the camera relocation bracket, and probably an ACC calibration as well as a calibration for the airbag system, and then I'd go for a Warn winch...so probably 2500-3000 all in. I would probably also need to consider different springs up front to compensate for sag...did you experience that? Alternatively, I could go with rear winch setup, but for crawling that would not be as ideal as a front winch for me...

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought 2 SS3 Max fogs and 4 SS2 pros...and they all fit like a glove in the modular bumper pockets. Too late to send them back, and I am sure I could make them work with something else. With the Vanguard I'd need the ACC relocation bracket and the camera relocation bracket, and probably an ACC calibration as well as a calibration for the airbag system, and then I'd go for a Warn winch...so probably 2500-3000 all in. I would probably also need to consider different springs up front to compensate for sag...did you experience that? Alternatively, I could go with rear winch setup, but for crawling that would not be as ideal as a front winch for me...
Those fogs should work fine in the Vanguard. You just need a square bezel instead of a round one, which i think is user replaceable. Frankly that would just be for looks anyway as they would certainly still "fit" in the bumper and the bezel is mostly hidden anyway.

I definitely have a small sag in the front...I'd say a quarter inch-ish. The whole feel of the steering is different too, but you get over that after driving it for 2-3 days.

I doubt you'll need an ACC calibration...I didn't and JCR didn't. It's a much less invasive move than putting it behind your grill. It literally just shifts down by 0.5 to 1 inch.

I'll also give a shoutout to the badland apex winch option. All of the warn winches that will fit within a total build budget of 2-3k are built in China. I think the warn zeon line and up are the only ones built in the US. A zeon 10-s is like 1.5k by itself. You can pick up a badland apex for about $500 on sale.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Those fogs should work fine in the Vanguard. You just need a square bezel instead of a round one, which i think is user replaceable. Frankly that would just be for looks anyway as they would certainly still "fit" in the bumper and the bezel is mostly hidden anyway.

I definitely have a small sag in the front...I'd say a quarter inch-ish. The whole feel of the steering is different too, but you get over that after driving it for 2-3 days.

I doubt you'll need an ACC calibration...I didn't and JCR didn't. It's a much less invasive move than putting it behind your grill. It literally just shifts down by 0.5 to 1 inch.

I'll also give a shoutout to the badland apex winch option. All of the warn winches that will fit within a total build budget of 2-3k are built in China. I think the warn zeon line and up are the only ones built in the US. A zeon 10-s is like 1.5k by itself. You can pick up a badland apex for about $500 on sale.
I was going to go for a Badland winch but the guy from JCR explained that for 100 bucks more he'd go all day long with the Warn 10,000 pound Evo VR 10S...something about the 10k one having better spool speed and being more reliable in the long run. I'd settle for either the BL or the Warn...whichever goes on sale...and relocate the solenoid. It appears DD makes a round attachment for my SS3 square pods, but I think the SS2s are rectangular only. Still not a deal breaker. I wonder how an ACC plate behind the grille even works with the grille in front of it? I thought it needs unobstructed location...

I wonder if the sag leads to any scrub with the 35s when wheeling it hard?

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I just picked up an OpenRoad 13,000 winch with two remotes and synthetic line for just over 300...and it is waterproof/dust proof. Easy to relocate control box to the top of the fuse box under the hood. If anyone is interested they are on sale and I have an additional code for 80 off to get to the low 300s. They have been getting good reviews by folks actually using them.

Sponsored

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just picked up an OpenRoad 13,000 winch with two remotes and synthetic line for just over 300...and it is waterproof/dust proof. Easy to relocate control box to the top of the fuse box under the hood. If anyone is interested they are on sale and I have an additional code for 80 off to get to the low 300s. They have been getting good reviews by folks actually using them.
Looks like a rebranded Badland. Interested to hear your review once you check it out.

projectbadlands

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the JCR winch plate paired with a Superwinch SX12 and I have not had any issues. I recently traveled from LA to TX. On the way back, there is a 120 mile stretch of highway that is a steady climb from Blythe to Palm Springs and it was 120* the whole way. We monitored temp gauges and they hovered the 221* mark. All while consistently boosting about 7-10 psi in that steady climb. We did try to minimize heavy acceleration as much as possible as we had 4 passengers and a trunk full of our travel items so she was loaded pretty heavy.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like a rebranded Badland. Interested to hear your review once you check it out.
I almost went Badlands but missed the latest sale...and pulled the trigger on this one based on these reviews and the price:

I suspect that at the sub 1500 pricepoint most if not all winches are made offshore, just like most of our LEDs and components in our phones/computers/chips, so not a deal-breaker for me at all. 300ish made my decision much easier than even the Badlands.

I especially like the design of the engage/disengage clutch level...

On sale for 399 here https://openroad4wd.com/products/13...5bAVbYqE5u9nM2hcZC0ZUhn9EeCM5x7gaAi-BEALw_wcB

And then enter this code for another 80 off:

ATEMOFFROAD
Sponsored