Sponsored

Just another reason for additional driving lights... headlights covered in snow / ice

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Does anyone know the difference in illumination on the Standard Headlights vs Premium Headlights?
Sponsored

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Im all set
Ford Bronco Just another reason for additional driving lights... headlights covered in snow / ice IMG_2433

I got them for Deer though, drive through a town where cops use deer to enforce the speed limit basically

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Im all set
Ford Bronco Just another reason for additional driving lights... headlights covered in snow / ice IMG_2433

I got them for Deer though, drive through a town where cops use deer to enforce the speed limit basically
BET!

Ford Bronco Just another reason for additional driving lights... headlights covered in snow / ice 1 (small)

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Incandescent are the same actually. LEDs themselves don't produce heat but there is heat produced by the electronics. That's why a lot of these LED Lights are in such big housings. To help aim that light AND to help cool things down.

I've been living in NY since... well since I was born. I've always had issues with every car in the winter IF the snow and it was falling down hard.

I remember times driving in NJ in my old truck where I had to stop every few miles and clean the headlights off because the wet snow kept sticking to them.

It's going to happen unless you've got this big massive heater BUT that heater is going to cause the bulbs to fail quickly.

Incandescent have the heat AT the bulb and LEDs have them behind so yes there IS a heat difference but in my opinion not enough that it's going to make much of a difference.

People have been battling snow on headlights since the headlight was created. HID, Incandescent, LED, Laser... eventually the right type of snow WILL stick especially when you are driving down the highway and you're COOLING the housing down as you drive.
"LEDs themselves don't produce heat but there is heat produced by the electronics"

Perhaps, but it doesn't make anywhere near as much heat as halogens blubs. LEDS are far more efficient even with the electronics. If they generated as much heat as incandescent they wouldn't be more efficient. That said I agree with most of what you said, snow and ice on headlights is nothing new, but it is greatly aggregated here! I grew up in Minnesota and being a ski enthusiast have driven in more than my share of show and ice. Snow and ice on headlights has rarely been an issue, and even if there is some blockage conditions are such to require slow speeds. Aftermarket lights are almost always for off road use only, and illegal to use on the road.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

"LEDs themselves don't produce heat but there is heat produced by the electronics"

Perhaps, but it doesn't make anywhere near as much heat as halogens blubs. LEDS are far more efficient even with the electronics. If they generated as much heat as incandescent they wouldn't be more efficient. That said I agree with most of what you said, snow and ice on headlights is nothing new, but it is greatly aggregated here! I grew up in Minnesota and being a ski enthusiast have driven in more than my share of show and ice. Snow and ice on headlights has rarely been an issue, and even if there is some blockage conditions are such to require slow speeds. Aftermarket lights are almost always for off road use only, and illegal to use on the road.
Well the real problem is honestly the design of the housing.

Headlights that are ANGLED help shed that winter mix off as you drive compared to a flatter headlight like on our Broncos.

It's a large flat (well not 100% flat but you know what I mean) surface area.

Compared to a sports car for example, that is very angled. Or even on another style truck/car with headlights that are angled more.

My F150 has a BIG flat surface and im sure it's going to be prone to collect the right type of winter mix over my Bronco.

And when compared to say a 2017 Kia Sportage which had angled headlights... well I bet I can guess which vehicle will collect the most snow/ice

Ford Bronco Just another reason for additional driving lights... headlights covered in snow / ice 1704469893628

Our Broncos are basically big driving bricks. They are terrible with aerodynamics.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're either blind, have the standard headlights, or are exaggerating.

Signature lights are great on my Badlands.
By standard do you mean the stock lights? What are signatures? 🤔

I definitely agree with @CM81, I have had laughably bad throw and spread viewing issues with the stock headlights and for the first time, am considering replacing my headlights. My 2010 Chevy Silverado has better headlight performance.

The caveat is how they're being used and what conditions someone is in. I know on open unlit freeways and on gravel roads, I struggle to see beyond just the front with the brights on. YMMV.

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Another reason to dislike the headlights. The other day I could see some barely visible flicker. I am more sensitive to flicker than most. It went away with lights getting slightly brighter while I was investigating. Now it seems obvious that LED lights aren't going to do well at keeping snow off the headlights.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is none. Same housing just one has a fancy LED ring
Fair enough, I was under the impression the standard headlights were halogen.

I drive on the highway at 75mph with low beams on and have no difficulties seeing as far as I need to, in fact I rarely use the high beams at all.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Does anyone know the difference in illumination on the Standard Headlights vs Premium Headlights?
If you're talking about the Bronco Base vs Signature headlights, there is no difference. The headlights on my Bronco do a better job than my last two cars, a 2012 Mazda6 with "projector" headlights and a Pontiac Vibe (same headlights used on Toyota Corolla and Camry and probably most others). The Bronco is my first vehicle with LED headlights and I love them, but honestly I am glad Ford went the minimalist route with other LEDs especially on my Base. Maybe its just me but I'm not into the geeky LEDS all over the place, and they do go out and are a PIA and/or expensive to replace. The only lights that failed on my 2012 Mazda are the LED 3rd brake light!!!

Sponsored

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

People seem to really dislike the LED lights on the Bronco, but they are the brightest headlights of any vehicle I have ever owned.
Totally agree. There is nothing at wrong with the headlights. I have the non-signature version and love them. Luckily no snow for me.

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

There is none. Same housing just one has a fancy LED ring
Fair enough, I was under the impression the standard headlights were halogen.

I drive on the highway at 75mph with low beams on and have no difficulties seeing as far as I need to, in fact I rarely use the high beams at all.
If you're talking about the Bronco Base vs Signature headlights, there is no difference. The headlights on my Bronco do a better job than my last two cars, a 2012 Mazda6 with "projector" headlights and a Pontiac Vibe (same headlights used on Toyota Corolla and Camry and probably most others). The Bronco is my first vehicle with LED headlights and I love them, but honestly I am glad Ford went the minimalist route with other LEDs especially on my Base. Maybe its just me but I'm not into the geeky LEDS all over the place, and they do go out and are a PIA and/or expensive to replace. The only lights that failed on my 2012 Mazda are the LED 3rd brake light!!!
Actually, even though they are both LED, the signature has a higher output:

They are both LED lights, the Signature do give you the LED tails vs the Halogen on the base lights. Here's a good read if you're wanting to compare the two:

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/ford/bronco-4-door-suv/2021#headlights

Signature:

Ford Bronco Just another reason for additional driving lights... headlights covered in snow / ice 1704469893628

Base:

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well the real problem is honestly the design of the housing.

Headlights that are ANGLED help shed that winter mix off as you drive compared to a flatter headlight like on our Broncos.

It's a large flat (well not 100% flat but you know what I mean) surface area.

Compared to a sports car for example, that is very angled. Or even on another style truck/car with headlights that are angled more.

My F150 has a BIG flat surface and im sure it's going to be prone to collect the right type of winter mix over my Bronco.

And when compared to say a 2017 Kia Sportage which had angled headlights... well I bet I can guess which vehicle will collect the most snow/ice

Ford Bronco Just another reason for additional driving lights... headlights covered in snow / ice 1704470941242

Our Broncos are basically big driving bricks. They are terrible with aerodynamics.
Having owned a vehicle with exactly the same headlight design as that KIA, NO -- they certainly don't do any better at shedding snow and ice. Many cars like my Mazda6 have nearly horizontal lights, if anything this has proven to be worse.

Hey Buddy

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base Model 2-Door 2.3L 7-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I wonder if Rain-X would help prevent the accumulation of the ice on the headlamp lens cover?
I use it on my windshield as well as the rear camera lens. Probably gonna test it out this weekend with the weather we have coming through NC this weekend. Be safe out there & watch out for the other guys on the road! Snow kills brain cells! :LOL:
Sponsored