First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2012 Ford F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Interesting, thanks for sharing, what do you and @Spiniker recommend instead? Just the OEM filter?
OEM is fine however I am a Wix or Purolator One guy. Testing of these filters over and over have shown they do a great job of filtering the air. I'd stay away from any oiled filter. Any filter that claims more flow, you need to ask yourself how is that possible. There is only 2 ways, fewer pleats in the filter or the media is more porous. I'd lean more towards engine longevity vs the 1 to 5 HP gain you'd get with a "performance" filter. Good luck
Sponsored

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco, and a trio of 80s GM's.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
There is only 2 ways, fewer pleats in the filter or the media is more porous. I'd lean more towards engine longevity vs the 1 to 5 HP gain you'd get with a "performance" filter. Good luck
More filter area is another way to let more air in. S&b (I believe) has a paper filter that appears like stock BUT the front of the 'cone' is recessed with more media. That will allow more flow while retaining factory levels of filtration.

Alanp970

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4 Door Base Sasquatch Hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Base
We are aware of the "urban myth" created by a few dealerships that a vehicle's MAF sensor can be contaminated by K&N filter oil. No evidence has ever been provided to support this "myth" and years of diagnostic testing by K&N has shown that not only is this allegation not real, it is not even possible. In our opinion, it is an excuse for a dealership and/or the vehicle manufacturer to avoid a legitimate warranty repair. In the last 4 years, we have sold over 10,000,000 lifetime air filters and received only a few hundred calls from consumers who are having dealership or service provider challenges.

https://www.knfilters.com/maf/massair.htm
Nothing like a quote from the company in question to prove their innocence 😂 Tobacco companies denied their products caused cancer once upon a time too. I’ve personally seen MAF sensors coated in oily grime with K&N and other similar filters. Some could be cleaned and returned to normal operation but some had to be replaced. Still cost the owner of the car a trip to the shop but hey they got to my shop a tenth of a second faster with that performance filter👍

drewski

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2012 Ford F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
More filter area is another way to let more air in. S&b (I believe) has a paper filter that appears like stock BUT the front of the 'cone' is recessed with more media. That will allow more flow while retaining factory levels of filtration.
Yes you are correct. I didn't list that as the OP was taking about a stock air box. You aren't going to get that much more volume in a stock box. As far as S&B's claim about "a cone" I'd have to see some independent testing on that to believe it. I have found manufactures make fantastic claims about their products that can be misleading at best and some flat out lies. I will say S&B acknowledges that they only test their filters with ISO coarse dust in the ISO 5011 testing. They do not test their filters with ISO fine dust. So be aware any test data or efficiency claims are for coarse dust only. The ISO testing they do also is in house. They do not send it to a 3rd party for an independent result.

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

(Personal Opinion) I'm never putting another oiled filter on again, that stuff goes everywhere in your intake and coats sensors, all the while filtering like crap...

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco, and a trio of 80s GM's.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yes you are correct. I didn't list that as the OP was taking about a stock air box. You aren't going to get that much more volume in a stock box. As far as S&B's claim about "a cone" I'd have to see some independent testing on that to believe it. I have found manufactures make fantastic claims about their products that can be misleading at best and some flat out lies. I will say S&B acknowledges that they only test their filters with ISO coarse dust in the ISO 5011 testing. They do not test their filters with ISO fine dust. So be aware any test data or efficiency claims are for coarse dust only. The ISO testing they do also is in house. They do not send it to a 3rd party for an independent result.
That's good info.. I was considering getting an s&b in a few more thousand miles... I guess I can trash that idea. Bummer.
Sponsored