Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not of fan of oiled air filters with turbos, OEM filters all the way on turbos, both diesel and gas engines.

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you live in areas that has lot of dust the oil air filters not the best . lot of people think they ok in the dust but if you think about they have small holes to help the engine breath better by letting the air get in and the dust . Look on Jeep forums and see how many people find that out .

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, thanks. K&N filters are garbage on modern vehicles. They were fine for carbeurated cars back in the day, and I ran them on my 1987 Bronco, 2001 F-150, 2005 Nissan Titan. On anything with a mass air sensor they have caused me problems regardless of how careful I was oiling a removing the excess.

Ford does a damn good job of designing the intake system to support all the power the engine is capable of.

Last edited:

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Performance air filters, including drop in ones do flow more air (in arguably letting more dirt).

But the key is if your engine needs more air flow. Most manufacturers intake systems flow more than enough. You take off Bronco engine that has at least one turbo and I think you'll find that the CFM requirements are not being limited by the stock intake.

What really helps is making sure to get cold air, not more air. However that requires exposing the intake to more elements which is not something you want to do on an off-road vehicle. (Fine for mall crawling)

This does not apply, once you start upgrading your engine to a point where it requires more CFM, But unless you're planning on upgrading your turbos, are installing a tune that's going to the dump much more fuel, I don't see this happening

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, just to agree with what has already been posted. It has been conclusively shown that a good paper filter flows slightly more then an oiled cotton filter, and an oiled filter can mess with modern engine control air metering sensors. Oiled cotton filters are a no go, no point whatsoever in a modern vehicle. K&N usually offers a choice of cotton or paper filter, if you think you really need an aftermarket intake, or go with another brand.

JFelty

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yeah, just to agree with what has already been posted. It has been conclusively shown that a good paper filter flows slightly more then an oiled cotton filter, and an oiled filter can mess with modern engine control air metering sensors. Oiled cotton filters are a no go, no point whatsoever in a modern vehicle. K&N usually offers a choice of cotton or paper filter, if you think you really need an aftermarket intake, or go with another brand.
I have been running a K&N intake and filter on my 2014 Taurus SHO for all of its 97k miles and never an issue. I will have to rethink using one on my Bronco IF/WHEN it ever arrives. The SHO hasnt spent too much time off the pavement and I an sure the Bronco will :)

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been running a K&N intake and filter on my 2014 Taurus SHO for all of its 97k miles and never an issue. I will have to rethink using one on my Bronco IF/WHEN it ever arrives. The SHO hasnt spent too much time off the pavement and I an sure the Bronco will :)
I’m glad it’s been working for your SHO. My 2005 Nissan Titan was very sensitive to oil getting on the mass air flow sensor and causing a slight misfire. I was very diligent with the oil, taking care not to apply too much, then using a leaf blower to suck air through the filter and using a clean micro fiber cloth to remove any excess oil. Every time I cleaned the filter I had the same issue and had to use a cleaner on the mass air flow sensor a couple days later to clear the misfire. At one point I removed the intake tube after the filter and noticed a fine coating of reddish brown sludge when I wiped it out with cheesecloth. My buddy’s Titan with similar mileage and a stock paper filter had no sludge. That was the day the oiled filter went in the trash.

The Volant Powercore filters made by Donaldson are the only aftermarket filters I would consider running these days.
Sponsored