Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2-Door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How would you compare a sub plus passive radiator setup to two identical subwoofers
In my opinion, which configuration you choose depends mostly upon the volume of the space you want to fill (Focus v. F-150), the fidelity of the sound you prefer (classical v. rap) and how much you want to spend. You may get better performance from 2 subwoofers (or more) but probably at much greater expense and complexity. If you want to blow off the roof with rap then maybe that's your way to go. If you want a better quality of sound without having to break your bank then a sub/passive combination may be a better choice. In any case, choose better quality in materials and manufacturing. With all things audio the quality of the signal path will ultimately determine how happy you will be with your system output. Massive power capabilities mean nothing if the signal path is corrupted by distortion and noise. A good clean low power signal will almost always sound better than a high-power signal of lesser quality. A low power system will often seem louder because it can reach higher volumes without distortion.
Sponsored

DJ1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How would you compare a sub plus passive radiator setup to two identical subwoofers?
Not apples to apples, but here is what I have observed:

In the Bronco I have the 12" Kicker with passive radiator. Audio Control amp with a rated 500W for the sub. ( I know power ratings are grain of salt, but this is for comparison)
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-dsp-speakers-and-sub-lots-of-pictures.43856/

In my Tundra I have two 10" JL Audio W3s with a JBL Club amp rated at 500W for the subs.

The 2 10's are tighter and hit harder. They respond quicker and have a lot of range. Now, it is in a sealed pickup truck that has been completely sound deadened. The 12" Kicker with PR has more of a boom to the bass. However, it is in an open-top Bronco. And the Bronco system is tuned for top-down driving, which means lots of power and lots of bass and mid-bass. It also takes up less space.

Depends on what you want. I prefer the sound of the two 10s, but for the space and cost it is hard to beat the Kicker with PR. Just make sure you have decent power. I have seen people using the Kicker Key 500 to drive this setup, not sure if that is enough.