Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes people need to know what they are doing here. The NEC shows how much amperage conductors can handle at ambient temperature and with continuous load. Also have to take into account overcurrent protection. Too much amperage across a wire that is not big enough will act as a choke and melt the wire, damage the components(s) or start a fire. If your not sure check the OEM requirements and stay with what they ask for.
1633103705069.png
Well, since you have the diagram. You can always use existing wire to pull new wire.

K8GTH

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the table Bronco Nation provided is accurate and its talking in terms of square millimeter cross-sectional area, it falls between 16 and 14 awg and depending on the insulation type (GXL?) is good for 18-20 amps. I think that's adequate for most. If you're dropping $2k+ on a giant array, I doubt the minor amount of labor and expense of pulling new wire is going to be the end of the world.

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If the table Bronco Nation provided is accurate and its talking in terms of square millimeter cross-sectional area, it falls between 16 and 14 awg and depending on the insulation type (GXL?) is good for 18-20 amps. I think that's adequate for most. If you're dropping $2k+ on a giant array, I doubt the minor amount of labor and expense of pulling new wire is going to be the end of the world.
That table matches the information in my on board owner manual. You would want to use either switch 1 or switch 2, depending on the amp draw of the lights. Those are the ones with the higher gauge wire. All of the extenders going to different parts of the vehicle are the 1.5 mm wire.

Not sure why they just didn't use 14 gauge wire and say so. It would make life easier. Metric wire makes my brain hurt.

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

does ford really need to contend with the foolish actions of owners making bad choices with modifications? these are nothing more than signal wires to actuate a relay. if someone burns one trying to jump start another car it is on them. part of growing up is making bad decisions and learning from them. back in the day, there were some who put a holley 750 on a stock 305 in a camaro and thought it would be faster... they learned quickly it did not idle...
The switches themselves are also fused. Ford was thinking ahead on this. Lol
Fuses are present to protect the conductors only...
If you wanna hook up a 40A load to a 10A fused conductor, fine... You'll blow the fuse well before melting the conductor and starting a fire.
Hopefully by this point you'll look at the manual and make better decisions

Last edited:

mmmeff

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

regardless of gauge size the wires can be used to rerun larger gauge. It could be string for all I care.
Well, since you have the diagram. You can always use existing wire to pull new wire.
I wish. I'm installing one right now and Ford has these wires taped/spliced into other harnesses running throughout the vehicle, so you can't pull on it separately without gutting a bunch of other stuff.

danderson0868

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2.7l,SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Old thread I know...but, as I was doing research I came across this video from motoroso which details how to install a Baja Designs lightbar using the upfitter wiring.
I found this to be very informative in general.

Hopefully this helps someone else answer the questions raised in this thread.

Bronco Lou

Base
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Old thread I know...but, as I was doing research I came across this video from motoroso which details how to install a Baja Designs lightbar using the upfitter wiring.
I found this to be very informative in general.

Hopefully this helps someone else answer the questions raised in this thread.
I just need to triple check. Correct me if I'm wrong but for this lightbar they are showing that you indeed do not need a relay. Correct ?

danderson0868

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2.7l,SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just need to triple check. Correct me if I'm wrong but for this lightbar they are showing that you indeed do not need a relay. Correct ?
There was no mention of a relay during any of the video.