Sponsored

Limiting Tailgate Strut for 6th Gen Bronco....

JB1901

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
FYI...

I haven't opened up any other broncos but on my '21 4d the tailgate has always been a pain to open. I have 35s and a Hammerbuilt Tailgate Support so don't know if that has any affect on it. It just opened kind of glitchy, and opened too far, too, if I had a RotopaX gas tank installed so risked damaging my tail light.

Therefore, I purchased the Hammerbuilt Limiting Tailgate Strut for 6th Gen Bronco

https://hpbuilt.shop/products/limiting-tailgate-strut-for-6th-gen-bronco

It showed up and I noticed there was some 3rd party branding on the tailgate strut and some extra parts and instructions that didn't apply to my application. It appears Hammerbuilt is just buying them from this website for $30 to flip for $50:

Ford Bronco Limiting Tailgate Strut for 6th Gen Bronco.... Strut

https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/strong-arm-4806-gas-charged-hatchback-lift-support/

While I appreciate the hustle as a retailer myself, they should probably do a better job of concealing the fact they just threw someone else's product in a box without any modifications. It may be worthwhile for others to look at them for $30/ea.

This strut did seem to physically limit the strut to, basically, keep the tailgate at a 90% angle. It has ALOT more power to open. As in it may knock a small person over if they're not paying attention.
Sponsored

Tbrownski

Black Diamond
First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2019 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The strut seems like a budget friendly option that works ok. After a few months of feeling like it was running me over all the time I ended up going back to stock though and I’m not a small human by any means. It was just a little too much

OP
OP
JB1901

JB1901

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The strut seems like a budget friendly option that works ok. After a few months of feeling like it was running me over all the time I ended up going back to stock though and I’m not a small human by any means. It was just a little too much
My original tailgate setup would have me fighting it to push it open and it would swing back hard if only opened ~60*. With the new strut it feels pretty normal to close and it opens with force.

Tbrownski

Black Diamond
First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2019 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My original tailgate setup would have me fighting it to push it open and it would swing back hard if only opened ~60*. With the new strut it feels pretty normal to close and it opens with force.
Maybe mine was a little overcharged or something. It worried me a little that it’d rip the mounts off the tailgate it pushed so hard

OP
OP
JB1901

JB1901

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This option retains factory strut and gives you options between 80 and 135 degrees
https://mountains2metal.com/tailgate-range-limiter-bronco-2021/
I've seen that one but my factory strut was a bitch. This seems like the best option for me. The only downside is I assume the "hammerbuilt" strut could wear out sooner than factory with the M2M range limiter because it's bottoming out the strut to stop the Tailgate. But at $30 I'm not overly concerned.
Sponsored