Sponsored

Creative ideas to compress the gas struts on the soft top?

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
As the title states- I'm looking for creative ideas to compress the gas struts on the soft top?

I bought a used soft top from a very good dude who had it stored in his garage for many months. He decided it would be better to detach the gas struts...

Well let me tell ya... IT WASN'T. These struts are massively pressurized. I thought they were frozen so I stopped in at my local mechanics and he had to put the on a hydro press to get them to budge. When he did they moved nice and smooth and slow as they should. I think they are likely not frozen at all and in perfect working order.

That said, how the heck to compress them to length to get them reinstalled in the soft top has become an issue. I am entertaining welding some 1/8" stock to a C-clamp and boring a small depression into it to capture the round heads of the struts.

Before I get stupid I thought I'd better consult the wisdom of the group.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

BroncoA512021

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As the title states- I'm looking for creative ideas to compress the gas struts on the soft top?

I bought a used soft top from a very good dude who had it stored in his garage for many months. He decided it would be better to detach the gas struts...

Well let me tell ya... IT WASN'T. These struts are massively pressurized. I thought they were frozen so I stopped in at my local mechanics and he had to put the on a hydro press to get them to budge. When he did they moved nice and smooth and slow as they should. I think they are likely not frozen at all and in perfect working order.

That said, how the heck to compress them to length to get them reinstalled in the soft top has become an issue. I am entertaining welding some 1/8" stock to a C-clamp and boring a small depression into it to capture the round heads of the struts.

Thoughts?
I used ratchet straps to reinstall mine....

IAG Performance

Wildtrak
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iagperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Thoughts?
If referring to the struts that are included with our EZ-Lift Soft Top Assist system, there are a couple of ways to go about it. Ratchet strap will work but quite honestly I just do them by hand. Take the windows out, attach the lower ball stud mount, stand in the trunk, and use your complete body weight to compress the strut, while lifting up on the top slightly until you can get it lined up with the upper ball mount. Check out 4:25 in the video below to get a visual of what I mean.

OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hi IAG- no I’m referring to the Ford OE struts for the soft top. Your rear support struts are very easy by comparison. The OE starts are under a TON of pressure.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks ALL for the suggestions. I’m going to attempt and report back.

If anyone else has thoughts about compressing the For IE soft top struts PLEASE drop a comment

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks ALL for the suggestions. I’m going to attempt and report back.

If anyone else has thoughts about compressing the For IE soft top struts PLEASE drop a comment
I bet a ratcheting woodworking clamp would do it, but you'd have to get it pretty perpendicular not to shoot sideways on ya

OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I bet a ratcheting woodworking clamp would do it, but you'd have to get it pretty perpendicular not to shoot sideways on ya
Ya… tried that one already, not even close to enough force available. I’m contemplating using a HF style doing compressor or something like it so I can get on it with an impact.

OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
And the answer IS… yes, ratchet straps.
This is the way.

Many thanks- this forum is highly appreciated.
Sponsored