Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've enjoyed reading many threads on this forum, and it's been a great spot for research as I've bought a few things for my Bronco. I even purchased my step sliders on the forum classifieds. So, I thought it would be fun to start a thread for my Bronco, both to keep a log of mods and upgrades and to help anyone that may be considering some of the things that I've done.

So far, though, I haven't done much. I bought the Bronco on Halloween 2023. I got a fair deal on existing inventory and traded in my GMC Sierra towards the purchase. It's been a ton of fun, and it's slowly turning into a great family adventure vehicle.

I'll add to this thread over time with short write-ups of the mods and upgrades I've completed to date. At this point, it is not a "build," but we'll see what the future holds. For now, this is the daily driver, and I am not looking to do any major modifications: "OEM Plus" is the goal.

Projects Completed:
  • Step Sliders
  • Cargo Mat
  • Hood struts
  • Underground graphics decals and Rocker Panel PPF
  • JTops Bimini
  • Harken Hoister
  • Mabett mini bull bar
  • Bartact door pocket bags
  • Garmin Mini 2 dash cam
  • Powder-coated beauty rings
  • Ford Performance ProCal (purchased, not installed)
  • Curt tow hitch and 4-pin harness
  • Rockworkx Thumbscrews and tie-down straps
  • Hitchmount Rack
  • Garage Door Opener Solutions: Hidden clicker and Siri control
  • Tint

On order:
  • ExoShield windshield protection film
  • DiodeDynamics fog pocket lights
Ford Bronco Louisiana Area 51 Badlands 1707098768280

Ford Bronco Louisiana Area 51 Badlands 1707098824648
Sponsored

OP
OP
BayouBadlands

BayouBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ZROADZ TrailX.R1 Series Rock Sliders

I purchased the Bronco with the factory hoop steps and rail. The hoop steps are at a good height for getting in and out of a Bronco with the Sasquatch package. However, I have a few issues with it:

• The rail is not a slider and cannot support the weight of the vehicle
  • The texture and location of the hoop steps are rough on clothes (easy to drag your paints across them getting out of the truck)
  • and most critically, they do not run the length of the vehicle
  • The factory tires are horrendous for throwing rocks - absolutely unforgivable. I wanted a full-length rail to mitigate that and to reduce the risk of damage from door dings, a shopping cart, or - just maybe - trail damage

In addition to full length, I had a few other requirements:
  • Covers the pinch weld
  • Fairly wide - I didn't want a slider that could be used as a step. I wanted an actual step.
  • Bolt-on installation
  • Reasonably finished look and great build quality

I liked a number of the options, including GoRhino and Archetype Racing. However, I kept returning to ZRoadZ and, when a forum member posted a set for sale on the Bronco6G forum, I pulled the trigger.

Installation was straightforward. I did need to buy a separate bracket kit, as the hoop steps don't have the same hardware as the OEM sliders. The brackets bolt on very simply.

I did read some criticism about alignment issues with the ZRoadZ hardware. However, I had an easy time of it by leaving everything loose until all of the bolts were started.

I really like these step sliders. The steps are narrow at the front seats, but they're very usable. The extra width at the rear kick-out is great for rear passengers. They are quite a bit higher than the hoops steps, so if taking a big step up is a challenge, then these are not for you.

I like to get in and out using the step to avoid constantly sliding over the seat bolster. That should significantly prolong the life of the seat.

Ford Bronco Louisiana Area 51 Badlands 1707099627646

(edit: I just noticed a rock in the front tire after posting this picture! I think the stock tires are otherwise great... but they are going)

Last edited:
OP
OP
BayouBadlands

BayouBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Stickers.
I've ordered a few things from Underground Graphics and StickerFab.

Underground Graphics

StickerFab
FuseBox Labels, $6
Sun Visor Warning Overlays, $8

HOCKEY STICKS AND HOOD GRAPHICS
I like the look of the Hockey Sticks. It's a retro vibe, and they accentuate the body line, which makes the truck visually longer. The traditional kit has the strips extending over the hood, but I prefer the look of the stripes paired with the hood overlay. I bought these with the intention of doing a DIY install, but I had my window tint installer take care of it at the same time he tinted the windows.

When I dropped the truck off, he said he would do a wet install. However, he installed them dry and was very complimentary about the quality of the kit and the vinyl. They came out great. I coated them with 303 graphene spray coating, and that did not damage the matte finish, though it did darken them slightly.

ROCKER PANEL PPF
After just a few trips "off-road" (not much more than gravel roads), I discovered why the stock tires have such a bad reputation for throwing rocks. It is completely unacceptable, and the tires are going soon. I got one serious chip down to bare metal on the rocker. I repaired the chip, and to help prevent future damage, I installed the lower rocker PPF kit from Underground Graphics.

The rocker PPF kit is designed for a DIY install. It is very easy to do if you take your time. The precut panels line up with the body line, and they are a wet install. I do think the pieces are cut too short. They do this so that it's easier to install, and so we don't have to wrap the edges. I get it, but I think they can be just a bit bigger.

I would post a picture, but they are nearly invisible. If you are standing next to the truck, you can see the borders of the film if you're looking for them, but they are very, very inconspicuous.

I think the graphics are a fantastic value, especially at Black Friday prices. Even with a pro install, they are a cheap way to personalize your Bronco. I don't feel the same way about the Lower Rocker PPF. It's too expensive for what it is, even pre-cut. That said, I am glad it's on the truck.

I recently ordered the ExoShield Windshield Protection. It hasn't arrived, but I'll add a post once I install it.

A word on Underground Graphics: They have been easy to deal with, have great communication, fast shipping, and a high-quality product. I highly recommend giving them your business.

StickerFab:

The Sun Visor Warning Overlays are great. You can see them on the visors, but they are much less intrusive than the ridiculous warning labels. I did experiment with removing the labels. I don't recommend that at all, as the adhesive seems very strong, and there's a high risk of damaging the visor.

OverlandingPastor

Heritage
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Where you located in Louisiana? I'm in Gonzales (between Baton Rouge and NOLA). My HE should be here before end of month.

Missy

Wildtrak
First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

ZROADZ TrailX.R1 Series Rock Sliders

I purchased the Bronco with the factory hoop steps and rail. The hoop steps are at a good height for getting in and out of a Bronco with the Sasquatch package. However, I have a few issues with it:

• The rail is not a slider and cannot support the weight of the vehicle
  • The texture and location of the hoop steps are rough on clothes (easy to drag your paints across them getting out of the truck)
  • and most critically, they do not run the length of the vehicle
  • The factory tires are horrendous for throwing rocks - absolutely unforgivable. I wanted a full-length rail to mitigate that and to reduce the risk of damage from door dings, a shopping cart, or - just maybe - trail damage

In addition to full length, I had a few other requirements:
  • Covers the pinch weld
  • Fairly wide - I didn't want a slider that could be used as a step. I wanted an actual step.
  • Bolt-on installation
  • Reasonably finished look and great build quality

I liked a number of the options, including GoRhino and Archetype Racing. However, I kept returning to ZRoadZ and, when a forum member posted a set for sale on the Bronco6G forum, I pulled the trigger.

Installation was straightforward. I did need to buy a separate bracket kit, as the hoop steps don't have the same hardware as the OEM sliders. The brackets bolt on very simply.

I did read some criticism about alignment issues with the ZRoadZ hardware. However, I had an easy time of it by leaving everything loose until all of the bolts were started.

I really like these step sliders. The steps are narrow at the front seats, but they're very usable. The extra width at the rear kick-out is great for rear passengers. They are quite a bit higher than the hoops steps, so if taking a big step up is a challenge, then these are not for you.

I like to get in and out using the step to avoid constantly sliding over the seat bolster. That should significantly prolong the life of the seat.

Ford Bronco Louisiana Area 51 Badlands 1707099627646
I don't know if you plan on overlanding or off roading, hubby and I each have a 22 Wildtrak and we plan on doing a lot of overlanding and off roading this spring and summer, we are in Lafayette. We are going to the Moore Expo in Springfield, MO in April, then overlanding our way back home. It would be cool to get a Louisiana group together that does not want to crazy off road. That will kick us off for the next few trips we plan on doing, mostly in Arkansas. Next year is our big one to New Mexico and Colorado.

Sponsored

OverlandingPastor

Heritage
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I don't know if you plan on overlanding or off roading, hubby and I each have a 22 Wildtrak and we plan on doing a lot of overlanding and off roading this spring and summer, we are in Lafayette. We are going to the Moore Expo in Springfield, MO in April, then overlanding our way back home. It would be cool to get a Louisiana group together that does not want to crazy off road. That will kick us off for the next few trips we plan on doing, mostly in Arkansas. Next year is our big one to New Mexico and Colorado.
That would be fun. Im Overlanding to Augusta, GA in early April for the Masters and that will be my first trip. My wife and I are planning a trip to Moab and then Vegas in late August (LSU game vs USC in Vegas). I'd be up for getting a Louisiana group together to do some local trips.

Missy

Wildtrak
First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That would be fun. Im Overlanding to Augusta, GA in early April for the Masters and that will be my first trip. My wife and I are planning a trip to Moab and then Vegas in late August (LSU game vs USC in Vegas). I'd be up for getting a Louisiana group together to do some local trips.
That would be great! My sister lives in Durango, CO, 6 months out of the year, so she will be our shower stop! We want to overland to her house, then go all over Colorado, I have never been there. Moab is on our list, also. It would be great to get locals and we could meet up in Arkansas, or the National Forest here in Louisiana. We do a lot in Arkansas, because it is beautiful and close, we want to live there, but work is here. Do you have any ideas on how we could get a group together? I am not a big computer guru!

OP
OP
BayouBadlands

BayouBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Missy @OverlandingPastor

I'm in Mandeville, just north of New Orleans. We are planning some trips this year, though it turns out that living in a swamp with zero elevation change means we have to travel a bit. The DeSoto National Forest and parts of the Mississippi TAT look like easy destination trips. We're also considering a weekend trip to the St. Francisville area for the Cat Island River Trail.

We do have trips starting to come together to Arkansas and to Austin, TX, but those are a little further off.

The Gulf Coast Bronco Association has a busy event calendar, and they seem like a great group.

Louisiana 4x4 is also active. They have a ride on the 17th to Sicily Island.

I joined both groups, and I am planning to attend some events this year.

That said, it would be awesome to have a Louisiana meet-up and an easy trail ride.

My wife and I also hope to do the Bronco Off Roadeo in Moab this year. The plan is to fly into Denver, rent a fast car, and road trip it to Las Vegas over 5 days, with the Off Roadeo in the middle.

Missy

Wildtrak
First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm in Mandeville, just north of New Orleans. We are planning some trips this year, though it turns out that living in a swamp with zero elevation change means we have to travel a bit. The DeSoto National Forest and parts of the Mississippi TAT look like easy destination trips. We're also considering a weekend trip to the St. Francisville area for the Cat Island River Trail.

We do have trips starting to come together to Arkansas and to Austin, TX, but those are a little further off.

The Gulf Coast Bronco Association has a busy event calendar, and they seem like a great group.

That said, it would be awesome to have a Louisiana meet-up and an easy trail ride.

My wife and I also hope to do the Bronco Off Roadeo in Moab this year. The plan is to fly into Denver, rent a fast car, and road trip it to Las Vegas over 5 days, with the Off Roadeo in the middle.
We did Offroad-eo in Austin, it was a blast! I will see if I have joined those groups. We used to camp and take our 4-wheelers to Camp Claiborne in Forest Hill, but we did that for so long, it got boring, so we sold all of it. Now we are coming out of an 8 year Mustang addiction that cost us a lot of money, and we ended up only keeping one of the stangs, we sold all of our Shelby's, but it was time to move on, so we are back to off roading, but not with 4-wheelers. We did an overlanding trip to Arkansas, this fall, our maiden voyage, took us awhile to outfit both Bronco's and get all of the gear we needed. It was so much fun, we camped on a creek, and road trails in the mountains, it was so peaceful! We want to so the TAT, we thought about starting in Mississippi!

OverlandingPastor

Heritage
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Love Mandeville. My wife and I will be taking a day ride to Covington on March 9th or 10th to enjoy the lake and eat at RIPS (love that place). I'll join the two groups mentioned. I'll also DM you my email and cell phone. Would love to put a GroupMe or Facebook Group together for Louisiana folks so we can join up and do some trips together.

Sponsored

Missy

Wildtrak
First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Love Mandeville. My wife and I will be taking a day ride to Covington on March 9th or 10th to enjoy the lake and eat at RIPS (love that place). I'll join the two groups mentioned. I'll also DM you my email and cell phone. Would love to put a GroupMe or Facebook Group together for Louisiana folks so we can join up and do some trips together.
A FB group would be awesome! I am not good at FB, only joined when we got mustangs, to stay in touch with our Texas group. If you do start a FB group can you post it here and tag me?

OP
OP
BayouBadlands

BayouBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now we are coming out of an 8 year Mustang addiction that cost us a lot of money, and we ended up only keeping one of the stangs, we sold all of our Shelby's, but it was time to move on, so we are back to off roading, but not with 4-wheelers.
I've come dangerously close to buying a Bullitt and a Mach 1 (both S550) in the last year or two. The Bronco is the better vehicle for the whole family, but I am still at high risk of getting a Mustang at some point. I've rented the GT-H versions a few times... I could get used to it.

OP
OP
BayouBadlands

BayouBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A FB group would be awesome! I am not good at FB, only joined when we got mustangs, to stay in touch with our Texas group. If you do start a FB group can you post it here and tag me?
See what the Gulf Coast Bronco Association is doing - they are active by region and it may be easier to jump on that bandwagon.

Missy

Wildtrak
First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've come dangerously close to buying a Bullitt and a Mach 1 (both S550) in the last year or two. The Bronco is the better vehicle for the whole family, but I am still at high risk of getting a Mustang at some point. I've rented the GT-H versions a few times... I could get used to it.
We want to sell our 2022 Mustang GT, fully loaded with Magneride suspension, Long Tube Headers, and a lot of suspension work, it handles better than our GT350's and our GT500 that we had. We kept it for a reason, but we never drive it anymore. It is just sitting covered in the garage. Mustangs are so much fun!

Missy

Wildtrak
First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

See what the Gulf Coast Bronco Association is doing - they are active by region and it may be easier to jump on that bandwagon.
We are thinking of joining!
Sponsored