Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been a licensed Amateur Radio Operator since the early '90s. I ran high-powered (500 watt) HF mobile in my 1985 F-250 for about 20 years.
Ford Bronco Low-Q Bronco Truck Farm

So I've had the Bronco for just about a year. I've installed 2 different VHF/UHF radios in it, taking apart the interior three times to install radio faceplate/main body separation and microphone cables. Ford's interior fasteners are actually reusable nowadays vs my 2010 Ranger!!!

In November of 23 I decided to get back into HF mobile operating...NOT high powered, only 100 watts. I ordered a nice, simple Bronco, this thing has about 40 computers in it, and I'm not prepared to fry one with half a kilowatt and pay for it!

I bought a Yaesu FT-891, built my own additional antenna mount, and cannibalized my Hustler mobile HF antenna bits from the F-250. That 30 year old stuff still works!!!
So I had to tear apart the interior again to run (yet) another mic cable.
The day after Thanksgiving I made a 5282 mile contact with CE7VP in Quellon, Chile.
Ford Bronco Low-Q Bronco 20231120_141643
Ford Bronco Low-Q Bronco bronco_HF_install_3

Ugliest antenna mount I EVER did build, out of a boat winch bracket, but my plasma cutter is broke, so I had to improvise/overcome/adapt.
It's STRONG tho...

Ford Bronco Low-Q Bronco bronco_HF_install_1

75 meter Hustler load subtracts about 6 MPG.
Just kidding, I haven't tested it yet.
Ford Bronco Low-Q Bronco bronco_40m
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mammal

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Nice work! I’ve been scoping installs on here for ideas since we don’t have our bronco yet. Also, nice antenna farm!
Did you do any bonding?

thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Sparkherd

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice work! I’ve been scoping installs on here for ideas since we don’t have our bronco yet. Also, nice antenna farm!
Did you do any bonding?

thanks for sharing!
The farm in the background of Old Blue, my 85 F-250, was part of the USAF Giant Talk(?) LPDAs that were at various bases...since been dismantled. Damn shame.

Funny thing, I haven't grounded doodly on my HF setup in the bronco. I can't find my roll of grounding strap. I did put a few ferrite beads in various strategic locations, seems to help, a bit.
Yesterday I talked on 40m from South Central Texas to a guy near Soper OK. I was in the Low-Q Bronco, and he was in a Road Grader...new first for me!

Mammal

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Thanks for the reply! Roadgrader?! Awesome.

That is a shame about the antenna farm. What a collection!

One of my CW instructors has a screwdriver on his car with an iambic paddle. Says before he bonded the doors he had terrible interference every time a Tesla went by! It’s a new era!

7 3
Sponsored