First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Brass is a fantastic material for synchronizers. Not the most robust, but it helps to create excellent shift feel.

The S2000, TSX and to a lesser extent the US market Evo 8-9 were famous for their excellent feel and function out of their transmissions. When test driving thr mannequin rig in 2021 I had guesstimate that Ford used brass synchros in the MT88 based on feel alone. That's now been proven to be true.

Unfortunately for the S2000, they switched to carbon synchros for the mid-model-refresh and transmission feel dropped significantly.
Interesting, I’ve never dove into transmissions, not really my thing. Seems like transmission guys a pretty secretive about their knowledge and rarely like to share.
Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BTW, how many quarts were required for the drain & fill?

Spec is 5.1 quarts total capacity, but typically a D&F will be at least a quart or two less than total capacity.
MT spec is 2.5 qts. Torque for the plugs is 26 ft lbs.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
While we’re on the topic of gear oil…what about the rear diff? I’m about to change mine…I got a bottle of the Motorcraft…but a happy to be educated.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While we’re on the topic of gear oil…what about the rear diff? I’m about to change mine…I got a bottle of the Motorcraft…but a happy to be educated.
While we're at it, since I never really order stuff to change it, do I need filters or no? Oil I know what to do, it's trans and diff I'm clueless aboot

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While we're at it, since I never really order stuff to change it, do I need filters or no? Oil I know what to do, it's trans and diff I'm clueless aboot
Neither has a filter. Watch some Youtube videos on changing the fluids, see if it something you can do. The MT82 Mustang transmission is pretty much the same as far as changing the fluid goes. Lots of videos on there of that. Only difference I see is that they take 2.7 quarts where the Bronco takes 2.5 quarts. The number one thing that most will say is to always make sure you can get the fill plug loose first before doing anything. If you were to drain and not be able to get the fill plug out, you'd have to be towed somewhere to fix it. Tighten back up to 26 ft lbs.

Be very careful what kind of fluid you use. All are not created equal. The transmission has to be GL-4 or the synchos can be damaged. The Ford specs are in the Owners Manual under Capacities and Specifications.

If you are green, then best to ask before messing something up. We were all there at one point. Even better if you have a friend local that can help guide you.

Sponsored

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Neither has a filter. Watch some Youtube videos on changing the fluids, see if it something you can do. The MT82 Mustang transmission is pretty much the same as far as changing the fluid goes. Lots of videos on there of that. Only difference I see is that they take 2.7 quarts where the Bronco takes 2.5 quarts. The number one thing that most will say is to always make sure you can get the fill plug loose first before doing anything. If you were to drain and not be able to get the fill plug out, you'd have to be towed somewhere to fix it. Tighten back up to 26 ft lbs.

Be very careful what kind of fluid you use. All are not created equal. The transmission has to be GL-4 or the synchos can be damaged. The Ford specs are in the Owners Manual under Capacities and Specifications.

If you are green, then best to ask before messing something up. We were all there at one point. Even better if you have a friend local that can help guide you.
Thanks, and I'm asking the guy who does it all for the flush. Having him do my Rocklights as well (He does a bit of everything). Local carwash could do it too, but they're like "We won't do anything but OEM approved"

As far as the fluid, just going whats recommended here

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, noise started today after about 400 miles. Doubt the fluid change will help now at this point?

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Dang.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Please be careful what you are suggesting. "GL-4" is a gross generalization of what Ford is requiring for transmission fluid. Once you're out of warranty throw in whatever you like, but if you're wanting them to cover any failures, please use the exact specification of transmission fluid they require.

I have attached my previous posts (from page 1 and 2 of this thread) which document Ford's requirement for the MT-88 transmission and offered a few fluids which comply with their exact requirement, which is "WSS-M2C200-D2".

It's nice to see somebody actually trying to do something instead of just bitching and moaning about it (ie: the @zombie Approach).

With Mitsubishi Evo's the secret sauce was a 60/40 mix of Redline MT90 and Penzoil Synchromesh and once that was discovered all the 5-speed transmission issues went away and people were getting 50K miles out of them at 600+ WHP.

Personally I'll be sending a sampling of the factory engine oil and transmission fluid to Blackstone Labs to get baseline of what's going on instead of how a fluid "looks".

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/information/sampling-procedures/transmission-sampling/

I look forward to trying some different fluids over a controlled period and having them tested to see what works best for this transmission. Amsoil now makes a light weight synchromesh which could be blended with their 75w90 GL-4.

Edit to post Ford's recommended transmission fluids for MT vehicles.

Screenshot_20230403_194944_Drive.jpg

In trying to assist further on other transmission dual-clutch fluids which meet Ford's WSS-M2C200-D2 standard, there are no Amsoil products currently meeting this requirement. EDIT: plugging in the Bronco to use Amsoil's search function will not document DCT as an acceptable fluid even though the tech sheet on that fluid indicates it meets standards.

Redline offers their MT-LV which meets the requirement despite being 70w75 instead of 75w80 as implied by "WSS".

https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-lv-70w75w

And what I intend to use on the first fluid change is the updated version of the tried and true BG Synchroshift (now in version II) which meets Ford's WSS-M2C200-D2. This was the stuff of legend in my old Evo days and is a real miracle worker for helping brass synchros work snicker-snack smooth and silky. Cold temps tend to be an issue for this fluid which is why they blended it with MT90 back in the day, I'll do a 66%/33% blend of BG SSII and the Redline MT-LV.
https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/driveline/bg-syncro-shift-ii/

Note that the older MT-82 Transmission used in the Focus RS also has/had cold weather issues as oil shear problems on the synchros. This type of article goes way back to when the RS was being sorted out in the aftermarket. The fluid suggested in the below does not specifically meet Ford's current recommendation but may have at the time the article was written, originally the MT-82 had fluid requirements of XT-M5-QS

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/mt-82-manual-transmission-oil-change-amsoil-mtf.1183093/

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Well, noise started today after about 400 miles. Doubt the fluid change will help now at this point?
I can't comment with any accuracy of what the MT-88 transmission will do as we don't have enough cases and resolutions to give guidance to those dealing with this issue. Only give experience with the Evo that I tracked and daily drove for >50K miles.

Back then, swapping transmission fluid to the "secret sauce" of Redline MT-90 and Penzoil Synchromesh (referenced on page 1 of this thread and directly above), many, many, many people were able to extend the life of their transmissions and often smoothed out the baulky 2nd gear which was the weak point in that transmission.

Temperature seems to be a primary factor in the factory transmission fluid not thinning out quickly enough. If you're having some noise now then common sense quick-fix would be to perform a ~5 min (or less.... or more) warm-up procedure before driving the vehicle. FWIW anecdotally speaking, in my 1951 Chevrolet Fleetline it has a 3 on the tree non-synchronized manual transmission and requires a warm-up period of 10-15 minutes to thin out the transmission fluid to give better (any) shifting.

Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't comment with any accuracy of what the MT-88 transmission will do as we don't have enough cases and resolutions to give guidance to those dealing with this issue. Only give experience with the Evo that I tracked and daily drove for >50K miles.

Back then, swapping transmission fluid to the "secret sauce" of Redline MT-90 and Penzoil Synchromesh (referenced on page 1 of this thread and directly above), many, many, many people were able to extend the life of their transmissions and often smoothed out the baulky 2nd gear which was the weak point in that transmission.

Temperature seems to be a primary factor in the factory transmission fluid not thinning out quickly enough. If you're having some noise now then common sense quick-fix would be to perform a ~5 min (or less.... or more) warm-up procedure before driving the vehicle. FWIW anecdotally speaking, in my 1951 Chevrolet Fleetline it has a 3 on the tree non-synchronized manual transmission and requires a warm-up period of 10-15 minutes to thin out the transmission fluid to give better (any) shifting.
Temperature doesn't appear to be the issue in my case. I had done a few mods and took the Bronco out for a spin. The noise was not there when I started the little trip but present when I was driving down the street at low speed in the neighborhood so when the fluid should have been warmed up. The temps were about 55 deg.

I have both the Redline MT-LV and BG Syncho II fluids but now question whether I should do anything at this time.

BDBJ79

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle-less
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do we know exactly how widespread the grinding issue on the MT’s is? Obviously, within the bubble of this forum, we hear quite a bit about it. But I’ve also seen some folks on here say they have had no issues. I also have not seen any YouTube videos crop up about this issue. Could it just be a B6G bubble? Or is this more widespread? My MT is being built Wednesday 4/12, and the forum bubble has me a little freaked out.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do we know exactly how widespread the grinding issue on the MT’s is? Obviously, within the bubble of this forum, we hear quite a bit about it. But I’ve also seen some folks on here say they have had no issues. I also have not seen any YouTube videos crop up about this issue. Could it just be a B6G bubble? Or is this more widespread? My MT is being built Wednesday 4/12, and the forum bubble has me a little freaked out.
I was in your shoes a month ago. Decided to get it. Everyone's situation is different though. It's not my DD. More than likely, your transmission would have been built last year. Would be nice to know what the actual issue is. Tolerance, end play, bad material, hard to say but at some point it will probably come out. No one has ever been left stranded though if that helps.

Quite a few YouTube videos of the noise. At least some of them are from people on here.

BDBJ79

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle-less
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bought the BG Syncro kit. Anything I can do to delay or keep the issues from happening. Gonna drain and fill the second I get home with my rig.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bought the BG Syncro kit. Anything I can do to delay or keep the issues from happening. Gonna drain and fill the second I get home with my rig.
On the fill, are you going to do the 2.5 quarts or fill up to the bottom of the fill port? I've seen both, same with the Mustang MT82. Full is actually about 1/2" below the port.
Sponsored