George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hello, I was loyal the MD law on auxiliary lights and it’s a bit confusing. Can you have ditch lights and roof mounted light bar on your bronco as long as there not on? Do they have to be covered?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

jayr1959

Big Bend
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JK 2DR 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Covered and disconnected. I got a safety violation in my Jeep when I did not have them covered but they don't always bother you. A state cop got me.

Sp8Ball

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak; 2017 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
MD resident/poster. I just purchased a (used) Wildtrak with ditch lights and a light bar. (Diode Dynamics)
I know that - during the inspection – it had to have covers on the lights. The seller provided those covers to me as part of the sale along with a lot of other accessories.
Are you guys saying the law is we can’t run without the covers on? (I also understand there’s some variance in how often it’s enforced…)
If I carried the covers in the back, does that assist in a scenario like that? Do I have to be pulled over for something else or can they pull me over just for the light covers?

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This doesn't answer your question directly, but it's a decent place to put it. And maybe it will help out in your search for MD laws.

*edit*
I did find this for Maryland, but I haven't parsed through it like I did California below
https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/transportation/title-22/subtitle-2/22-217/
(you have to click through a lot of individual sub-sections to get at it all)

California has several different designations for lights:
https://law.justia.com/codes/california/2010/veh/24400-24411.html

Fog Lamps - Can have up to 2, must be 12-30" off the ground. May be used with headlamps. Must be aimed (unloaded vehicle) 4" below center at a distance of 25'

Auxiliary lights (off road lights) - Limited to 8, must be between 16" off the ground and 12" above the roof, and anywhere from the front of the vehicle to no further than 40" behind the driver. And they must be covered when not in use. Must be switched independently of on-road lamps, and only used off road.

Auxiliary Driving Lights - must be mounted to the front of the vehicle, within 16-42" off the ground. Do NOT need to be covered. Limited to 2. Cannot be switched or used with low beams, intended to supplement high beams only.

Auxiliary Passing Lamps - must be mounted to the front of the vehicle, within 24-42" off the ground. Do NOT need to be covered. Limited to 2. Meant to be used to augment low beams, but may be used with high beams.

Spot Lamps - Limited to 2. Cannot be aimed at other moving vehicles. Limited to 32 candlepower (~400 lumen) and 300' light throw distance. Can't be aimed across the vehicle (i.e left light must go from left to straight ahead, but can't cross over to the right)

In CA, they can pull you over just for lights, it would be a fix-it ticket (same as if you didn't have your front license plate on or any other minor vehicle infraction). There are some states where they can't pull you over for minor violations - I believe PA just passed such a law, I don't know if it applies to MD or not though. Best I can tell is it's county by county there.
Sponsored

Last edited: