First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Can anyone help me out here, this Baja Boss Tire 285/70/17 has a STD rating. Use is Big Bend non-sas daily driver, with some beach driving. Want to replace Duellers with 33s that look a bit more substantial. I like that the STD weight is 48lbs, vs 63lbs for the LT version. Is there any downfalls to going with the STD rating?

Ford Bronco Mickey Thompson Tires question Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 11.44.13 AM
Sponsored

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can anyone help me out here, this Baja Boss Tire 285/70/17 has a STD rating. Use is Big Bend non-sas daily driver, with some beach driving. Want to replace Duellers with 33s that look a bit more substantial. I like that the STD weight is 48lbs, vs 63lbs for the LT version. Is there any downfalls to going with the STD rating?

Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 11.44.13 AM.png
1: Do Not go rock crawling with these tires as they are only 4 ply and probably have really thin sidewalls.
2: I don't think you want to tow anything with these tires either.
3: Those seem like the perfect tire for cruising the beach with.

Just remember to keep your tire pressures low. The Bronco was factory set to read 39 psi, and these tires Max out at 44 psi, so I would run them around 35 psi and make a FORScan adjustment if needed to get the TPMS light out (if it comes on).

OP
OP
RADRide

RADRide

Big Bend
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks so much @Bikeric I was also considering the Kenda Klever, which I think is 10ply and a similar weight so I may go that route, many people on here seem to like them

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Ruby1

Heritage
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Heritage In Production
Your Bronco Model
Heritage

Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 11.44.13 AM.png
I run these in the same size, on my 2020 4Runner here in the rocks of AZ, and haven't had an issue. I air down to about 18 psi. They offer awesome traction and I like them on the road too. I air them up to about 40 when I tow my 22' travel trailer.

Sponsored

RaceRedOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
For what you descrided the standard load will be perfect! They won't weigh you down with extra weight and will give you a much better ride. I have run LT E rated in the past and will say that they are very tough, but they are also rough and drop fuel economy. I run standard load cooper AT3's on my f-150 and tow/drive trails with no issues...

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks so much @Bikeric I was also considering the Kenda Klever, which I think is 10ply and a similar weight so I may go that route, many people on here seem to like them

I don't know if I'm Klever but the tires are. So far so good for me. Also the red letter ones are DOT compliant if you want that look. i don't believe most red letter sidewalls are DOT compliant as it's usually a racing only compound.

They stay relatively quiet on asphalt So Klever is aptly named. I met their Sales Manager once or twice great guy and happy to support them.

Ford Bronco Mickey Thompson Tires question 20230614_100823

Ford Bronco Mickey Thompson Tires question 20230614_100812 (1)

Ford Bronco Mickey Thompson Tires question 20230601_180802

Last edited:
OP
OP
RADRide

RADRide

Big Bend
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I run these in the same size, on my 2020 4Runner here in the rocks of AZ, and haven't had an issue. I air down to about 18 psi. They offer awesome traction and I like them on the road too. I air them up to about 40 when I tow my 22' travel trailer.
@Ruby1 thanks, do they throw rocks, I have the hoop steps not running boards

Biff

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda CR-V AWD SE
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OP: Did you end up going with the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss? The difference I see from MT’s website is the STD rated ties are not 3PMS rated and have a 60k mile tread warranty, whereas the LT rated tires are 3PMS rated and have a 50k mile tread warranty. Also, both STD and LT rim width for 285/70/17 show as 8.57 - 9.5” and I’m wondering if these will mount up to the Big Bend rims since they are 7.5”. MT does list a LT255/85/17 and shows rim width to be 7.06 - 8.0”, however a slight lift/level may be required for that height, not sure. I have narrowed my choices down to BF Goodrich KO/2 and the Baja Boss, and would prefer the Baja Boss for their rain performance advantage over the KO/2. Thanks!

OP
OP
RADRide

RADRide

Big Bend
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OP: Did you end up going with the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss? The difference I see from MT’s website is the STD rated ties are not 3PMS rated and have a 60k mile tread warranty, whereas the LT rated tires are 3PMS rated and have a 50k mile tread warranty. Also, both STD and LT rim width for 285/70/17 show as 8.57 - 9.5” and I’m wondering if these will mount up to the Big Bend rims since they are 7.5”. MT does list a LT255/85/17 and shows rim width to be 7.06 - 8.0”, however a slight lift/level may be required for that height, not sure. I have narrowed my choices down to BF Goodrich KO/2 and the Baja Boss, and would prefer the Baja Boss for their rain performance advantage over the KO/2. Thanks!
I did not pull the trigger, I think I'm going ahead with the Kenda Klever AT2 285s and I've seen others with that size here on a BB so fit shouldn't be an issue

Biff

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda CR-V AWD SE
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Right on, the Kenda Klevers seem like a good choice too. Thanks
Sponsored