Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So the moment you guys have all been waiting for. A little SHOOTOUT between the Morimoto XRGB Headlights and the Alpharex NOVA Series Headlights.

We installed both on our truck and this is what we have to say about them...

Morimoto's have an RGB DRL. That means you can use an app and change the DRL color. Alpharex is a solid white (you can change it to amber if you remove the ballast and change some wires though).

The Morimoto's DRL, when white is selected, isn't as clean a white as the Alpharex. It's closer to a pinkish color since it's an RGB system. However, you can change the color (meaning you can get an Amber DRL like on the Raptors). The Alpharex comes with a white DRL out of the box (to get amber you have to remove the ballast and change some wiring). So if you only want a white DRL... Alpharex looks better. If you want amber DRL, Morimoto is easier to configure that way with their app.

Morimoto with Amber DRL setup:
Ford Bronco Morimoto XRGB vs. Alpharex NOVA Headlights - real world comparison w/ photos Morimoto-ON

Alpharex DRL (it's a full circle in white, the frequency of my camera caused it to have some dark spots)
Ford Bronco Morimoto XRGB vs. Alpharex NOVA Headlights - real world comparison w/ photos Alpha-ON

Both have startup sequences as well. Although with the Morimoto XRGB, the horizontal bar AND the halo animate during turn signal function. Whereas with the Alpharex ONLY the horizontal bar animates (the surround stays a solid white in this case).

AND the numbers. This is about 20' or so.

Morimoto: 1590 lux
Alpharex: 1370 lux

And to mention Morimoto has ONE single low beam projector wheras Alpharex is utilizing FOUR low beam projectors (the bottom 2 have a solenoid that flips up giving you highs, similar to how Morimoto does it on the larger housings).

Im really impressed with the Morimoto. 1/4 of the projectors and MORE light. Just wish the XRGB had a cleaner WHITE DRL is all.

You'll also notice how on the Morimotos it's a VERY clean step/cut-off. On the AlphaRex there is more of a blueish hue at the top then on the Morimotos. Also, because they are running 4 projectors, the cut-off isn't as CRISP. This is an issue we've always seen with the Alpharex, the cut-off is never as clean and depending on how you stare at the vehicle, the white output looks blueish/purplelish.

Ford Bronco Morimoto XRGB vs. Alpharex NOVA Headlights - real world comparison w/ photos Low Beams

On the high beams you can see even more of that blueish hue with a centered hot spot. This is because they are running 4 LED projectors at all time and using a solenoid to move the bottom 2 OPEN a bit more. Whereas on the Morimotos, they use a separate projectof for the high beams which comes on in conjuction with the low beams. This gives you a more even spread for high beams which goes higher. The hot spot isn't as defined as on the Alpharex so your light is more spread out for high beam use.

Ford Bronco Morimoto XRGB vs. Alpharex NOVA Headlights - real world comparison w/ photos High Beams

So there are some quick raw numbers in our testing today. We prefer the Morimotos for output but as I said, wish the DRL had more of a pure white for those who want to run a white DRL over an Amber DRL. The output though is just superior in terms of lux output AND how crisp the pattern is.

Here is a video of the turn signal function. One thing to note, if you enable the AMBER DRL on the Alpharex the halo turns OFF when your signals are on. If you leave them white the halo stays white while turn sigals are on

Sponsored

Last edited:

MudMonsterRacin

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1, 2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks great. I thought with the Alpharex you can change the DRLs yellow inside the headlight before installing them? What are the warranties on both?

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Looks great. I thought with the Alpharex you can change the DRLs yellow inside the headlight before installing them? What are the warranties on both?
Their spec sheet says that. But since they didn't provide any instructions nor are there any on their website... I have to look into that

JonDW29

Wildtrak
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Great writeup. No dog in the fight for the Bronco (yet. lol), but I have the Morimoto XB Gen 2s on my '16 F-150 and they've been solid. I did have a warranty issue, but Morimoto was easy to deal with getting it resolved.

Fivefingerheist

Badlands
First Name
FFH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, 4-D, Non-SAS, 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Buckleupbuttercup handle on YouTube flat out shows how to switch to amber only on the Alpharex.

Sponsored
OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What are the warranties on both?
Morimoto has a 5 year warranty (which is clearly listed in the product data). Alpharex has a 2 year warranty (which isn't published unless you go on their site and look under the returns tab, it's hidden for some reason).

The other thing about Morimoto is they publish a lot of data on the lights. Alpharex doesn't publish much info at all...

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Buckleupbuttercup handle on YouTube flat out shows how to switch to amber only on the Alpharex.
Yeah it's done by removing the ballast. There are no instructions right now that show you how though, so you have to rely on people who have done it. Morimoto has an installation video out already and instructions.

MudMonsterRacin

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1, 2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Their spec sheet says that. But since they didn't provide any instructions nor are there any on their website... I have to look into that
There's bronco youtubers that have them that show them changing them to yellow I think.
What's the warranty on both lights?

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There's bronco youtubers that have them that show them changing to yellow I think.
What's the warranty on both lights?
Yes as I said earlier the manufacturer (Alpharex) has not put out any instructions yet (odd) whereas Morimoto has (and the Morimotos are not out yet).

Warranty on Alpha is 2 years. Morimoto is 5 years

MudMonsterRacin

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1, 2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes as I said earlier the manufacturer (Alpharex) has not put out any instructions yet (odd) whereas Morimoto has (and the Morimotos are not out yet).

Warranty on Alpha is 2 years. Morimoto is 5 years
Sorry I didnt refresh fast enough lol. You definitely sold me on the Morimoto's. Less stuff to break with no solenoids or shutters and they are brighter. Plus a better warranty and buy back.

Sponsored
OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just switched the Alphrex to Amber to give you guys a side by side. Here is a little video...

This is with the Amber DRL setup. With the Amber DRL setup the halo turns OFF on the Alpharex when the turn signals are activated. Whereas before with the WHITE DRL setup, the white DRL stayed ON during the turn signal application.

foremi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, T1 V10, T7, YXZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The projectors in the Alpharex look awful at angles like shown in your DRL photo.

How bad are these to swap?

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So the moment you guys have all been waiting for. A little SHOOTOUT between the Morimoto XRGB Headlights and the Alpharex NOVA Series Headlights.

We installed both on our truck and this is what we have to say about them...

Morimoto's have an RGB DRL. That means you can use an app and change the DRL color. Alpharex is a solid white (you can change it to amber if you remove the ballast and change some wires though).

The Morimoto's DRL, when white is selected, isn't as clean a white as the Alpharex. It's closer to a pinkish color since it's an RGB system. However, you can change the color (meaning you can get an Amber DRL like on the Raptors). The Alpharex comes with a white DRL out of the box (to get amber you have to remove the ballast and change some wiring). So if you only want a white DRL... Alpharex looks better. If you want amber DRL, Morimoto is easier to configure that way with their app.

Morimoto with Amber DRL setup:
Ford Bronco Morimoto XRGB vs. Alpharex NOVA Headlights - real world comparison w/ photos High Beams

Alpharex DRL (it's a full circle in white, the frequency of my camera caused it to have some dark spots)

Both have startup sequences as well. Although with the Morimoto XRGB, the horizontal bar AND the halo animate during turn signal function. Whereas with the Alpharex ONLY the horizontal bar animates (the surround stays a solid white in this case).

AND the numbers. This is about 20' or so.

Morimoto: 1590 lux
Alpharex: 1370 lux

And to mention Morimoto has ONE single low beam projector wheras Alpharex is utilizing FOUR low beam projectors (the bottom 2 have a solenoid that flips up giving you highs, similar to how Morimoto does it on the larger housings).

Im really impressed with the Morimoto. 1/4 of the projectors and MORE light. Just wish the XRGB had a cleaner WHITE DRL is all.

You'll also notice how on the Morimotos it's a VERY clean step/cut-off. On the AlphaRex there is more of a blueish hue at the top then on the Morimotos. Also, because they are running 4 projectors, the cut-off isn't as CRISP. This is an issue we've always seen with the Alpharex, the cut-off is never as clean and depending on how you stare at the vehicle, the white output looks blueish/purplelish.

On the high beams you can see even more of that blueish hue with a centered hot spot. This is because they are running 4 LED projectors at all time and using a solenoid to move the bottom 2 OPEN a bit more. Whereas on the Morimotos, they use a separate projectof for the high beams which comes on in conjuction with the low beams. This gives you a more even spread for high beams which goes higher. The hot spot isn't as defined as on the Alpharex so your light is more spread out for high beam use.

So there are some quick raw numbers in our testing today. We prefer the Morimotos for output but as I said, wish the DRL had more of a pure white for those who want to run a white DRL over an Amber DRL. The output though is just superior in terms of lux output AND how crisp the pattern is.
Thanks for doing this @4x4TruckLEDs.com . I hope to see @Diode Dynamics elite series added to this comparison once they are available.

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The projectors in the Alpharex look awful at angles like shown in your DRL photo.

How bad are these to swap?
Easy. Here is an install video we did on the Morimoto (same on the Alpharex):

foremi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, T1 V10, T7, YXZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any chance you've asked morimoto about this? It's dealbreaker for me, Orange DRL's would probably be too much on cyber orange lol. I would have expected at the price point using RGBW LED's would be a no brainer as they are already quite common in most forms of RGB lighting.
Sponsored