Sponsored

My SuperCel thoughts: 15" wheels and secret passage to cargo area underside!

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Folks have covered the ride-along well so I'll skip most of that but it was awesome and the wait just got more painful 🤪

Regarding 15" wheels... the 16" base wheel clearance is going to be the best indicator but the 17" aluminum wheels have about 1" clearance to the banjo bolt so a 15" steel wheel has a chance! It looked to be the closest thing but I didn't get too crazy trying to measure the caliper body since I own several grinders :LOL:

Ford Bronco My SuperCel thoughts:  15" wheels and secret passage to cargo area underside! PXL_20210423_174431355

On to the main reason I started this thread. I was curious if that bolt-in storage tray in the rear floor passes through to the muffler area and I'll be damned if it doesn't! Move the muffler up parallel to the fuel tank and exit the exhaust in front of the left rear tire then remove that tray and heat shield and you now have considerable space in which to build a storage compartment!

The muffler is 28Wx12Lx8H with 2.5" tubing, for scale. The area between the two crossmembers is (very) roughly 39Wx17Lx12H though the jack storage part of the body will take up some of the top rear of the area. We're still probably talking about at least 3 cubic feet or 20 gallons, if fuel, water, or air storage interests you. I'm going 2-door so 3 more cu ft down low is most welcome. It would be a good place for seldom-used, heavy recovery gear.
Ford Bronco My SuperCel thoughts:  15" wheels and secret passage to cargo area underside! PXL_20210422_162542930

Ford Bronco My SuperCel thoughts:  15" wheels and secret passage to cargo area underside! PXL_20210422_162522206

Ford Bronco My SuperCel thoughts:  15" wheels and secret passage to cargo area underside! PXL_20210422_162507493

Ford Bronco My SuperCel thoughts:  15" wheels and secret passage to cargo area underside! PXL_20210423_173910416.MP

The area on the other side of the drive shaft is big enough to fit a similar volume muffler, though I didn't check an assembled Bronco for other things that might be hanging out here.
Ford Bronco My SuperCel thoughts:  15" wheels and secret passage to cargo area underside! PXL_20210423_145630254.MP

PS: As I was finishing up, the Ford guy said I was not allowed to take measurements underneath the Bronco! You B6G crazies must have Ford concerned there are a bunch of FCA spies running around measuring things. :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good news on the wheels. I have a set of 6 lug 15" steel wheels and 16" alloys stashed away. I planned to test fitment when it gets here.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco My SuperCel thoughts:  15" wheels and secret passage to cargo area underside! IMG_0840.GIF

Why 15” wheels? The 16” wheels look tiny on the big Bronco.
Secret cargo? You running moonshine? Uncle Jesse is gonna be mad. 😂

On a serious note, your exhaust relocation will have to get outside the frame rail somehow . You can’t go under it without fear of crushing it off-road. Go through it? That sounds sketchy just typing it. 😲

OP
OP
VoltageDrop

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford Bronco My SuperCel thoughts:  15" wheels and secret passage to cargo area underside! IMG_0840.GIF

Secret cargo? You running moonshine? Uncle Jesse is gonna be mad. 😂

On a serious note, your exhaust relocation will have to get outside the frame rail somehow . You can’t go under it without fear of crushing it off-road. Go through it? That sounds sketchy just typing it. 😲
Because sidewall is helpful when the mall is not your destination. :geek:

The control arm bracket sits so low it could probably come out just in front of that with a skid plate to protect it. Or just cut a 3" hole through that massive frame. The exhaust could potentially still route over the axle and dump behind the driver side tire as long as the muffler is relocated to free up 90% of that space. Waylon says them Duke boys gonna find a way or be in a heap of trouble!

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

The control arm bracket sits so low it could probably come out just in front of that with a skid plate to protect it. Or just cut a 3" hole through that massive frame. The exhaust could potentially still route over the axle and dump behind the driver side tire as long as the muffler is relocated to free up 90% of that space. Waylon says them Duke boys gonna find a way or be in a heap of trouble!
So, what size tire are you planning on running?

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A more flexible tire will have greater surface area available for contact with the ground. Taller sidewalls coupled with low pressure make that possible. Small wheels with a large diameter tire are strongly favored in many off road situations, unlike pavement driving.

OP
OP
VoltageDrop

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So, what size tire are you planning on running?
Probably the stock ones ;) This was mainly academic for me but I know others were interested in running 15's so I thought I'd look. Then again, I have always wanted to run the 35x15.5 SX on something :unsure:
Ford Bronco My SuperCel thoughts:  15" wheels and secret passage to cargo area underside! 35x15.5-15 sx

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
A more flexible tire will have greater surface area available for contact with the ground. Taller sidewalls coupled with low pressure make that possible. Small wheels with a large diameter tire are strongly favored in many off road situations, unlike pavement driving.
That part I understand. It was just that 15 seems so small to me.

Are we talking 37s here?

Ford Bronco My SuperCel thoughts:  15" wheels and secret passage to cargo area underside! 1619329850490

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

...and you now have considerable space in which to build a storage compartment!
I'm going 2-door so 3 more cu ft down low is most welcome.
Ford Bronco My SuperCel thoughts:  15" wheels and secret passage to cargo area underside! 1619341367255

Last edited:

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Side exit through the body in front of the rear tire didn’t work well in my 87, it resulted in exhaust in the cab. I was able to route the exhaust over the frame where it curved up between the front seats and rear axle, but it was a mistake.

I crawled for years on 15”, then 17” wheels. Both have their place, but I much preferred the street ride and handling on 17”. I didn’t find the offroad ability compromised comparing 17” to 15” but I did ding the wheels up a little more often in the rocks.

OP
OP
VoltageDrop

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just realized the 4600 race Bronco pics showed a nice view of the underneath with the tray removed and no exhaust.

bronco-4600-race-trucks-ultra4-ford-performance-6.jpg

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thankyou very much for this. I do hope to find some either some vintage cyclone/turbine type wheels or steel outlaw type. And 15s are definitely more common. Also having the entire rear underfloor area for a storage box would be great to keep all my recovery gear under there and maybe a few always ready for beach items. It'd also be pretty cool to have a different dual exhaust on there.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't see 15's fitting with the factory calipers. The profile of steel wheels is not flat. Now that storage find is gold. Perfect space for additional fuel.
Sponsored