Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Bronco XLT, 2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Folks,

I have been enjoying my 21 Badlands Bronco since purchase to the fullest. I haven't done anything to it yet but the purse strings are loosening and the first thing I would like to tackle is putting new wheels/tires on the Bronco.

I have a 21 Badlands non SAS manual 4cyl 2.3l engine. It came with the 17" wheels and 33" tires.

I would like to put the 17" beadlock wheels on with 35" tires. I am massively fearful of ruining my dream vehicle so I turn to this group of more knowledgeable folks for help. I know that I would need to remove the crash bars to make it work from what I have read on the forums here, I just want to make sure that I understand the rest of the undertaking necessary. I don't want to ruin the vehicle. What other things would I need to do to ensure proper installation of the larger tires?
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All you need to do on a Badlands is remove the crash bars. And... that's it. The Sasquatch package has less than 1/2-inch difference in suspension height, so you don't need to install a lift. You may decide to install a minor 1-inch lift just to give yourself some extra room, but not necessary.

The exact wheel is up to you, but below are the wheel requirements:
  • Diameter: 17-inch
    • Your own requirement, but 17-inch is the best choice in my opinion.
  • Width: ~8.5-inch.
    • Exact width ultimately depends on the exact tire you get, but 8.5-inch to 9-inch will be the sweet spot for the vast majority of 35s.
  • Offset: +30 or less
    • Lower the number the farther the wheel sticks out from the fender. Note that if you choose wider 9.5"+ wheels, you will need less offset to compensate.
  • Center bore: 93.1
    • Note you can install a wheel with a larger bore, but you will need bore rings to adapt. You cannot, however, use a wheel with a smaller bore.
  • Bolt Pattern: 6 x 139.7

kojack19

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco New wheels/tires questions IMG_3441
Ford Bronco New wheels/tires questions IMG_3439
Ford Bronco New wheels/tires questions IMG_3455
Ford Bronco New wheels/tires questions IMG_3442

Hopefully these pics help you visually. Re your concerns. Crash bars out and I have no issues. While these are pics from my work parking lot, I spent a lot o time driving on the beach and off-road sand trails this summer with zero issues. I will say with the 2.7 I did not feel any concerns with power but I went with the RTR wheels because they are some of the lightest wheels in their price point along with load C BFG 315x70R17. BFG probably wouldn't be my first choice for Moab or more extreme off-roading but they are a great compromise for the off-roading I do and daily driver needs with snow here in the Northeast. Some people have issues with balancing but I have had none and have run this tire and 4 sets of other BFGs including the 37 on my F 150 Raptors since since 2012. A good road force balance is all that is needed. I was stuck between +30 offset and zero offset. I think with the stock flares, +30 is great-same as the Sas offset. If you go zero offset I think you are in for Sas flares for sure but YMMV. I run tire pressure at 32 PSI. 2 door is lighter so ride gets a bit stiff around town when the pressure is up. I would love to try a set of Falken Wildpeaks at some point or the Nitto but I just decided to go with what I know.

Good luck and have fun with the build!

Discount Tire

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Hopefully these pics help you visually. Re your concerns. Crash bars out and I have no issues. While these are pics from my work parking lot, I spent a lot o time driving on the beach and off-road sand trails this summer with zero issues. I will say with the 2.7 I did not feel any concerns with power but I went with the RTR wheels because they are some of the lightest wheels in their price point along with load C BFG 315x70R17. BFG probably wouldn't be my first choice for Moab or more extreme off-roading but they are a great compromise for the off-roading I do and daily driver needs with snow here in the Northeast. Some people have issues with balancing but I have had none and have run this tire and 4 sets of other BFGs including the 37 on my F 150 Raptors since since 2012. A good road force balance is all that is needed. I was stuck between +30 offset and zero offset. I think with the stock flares, +30 is great-same as the Sas offset. If you go zero offset I think you are in for Sas flares for sure but YMMV. I run tire pressure at 32 PSI. 2 door is lighter so ride gets a bit stiff around town when the pressure is up. I would love to try a set of Falken Wildpeaks at some point or the Nitto but I just decided to go with what I know.

Great looking set up!!! Thank you for sharing!

OP
OP
Tonzafun

Tonzafun

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Awesome response, thank you. I have a lot more confidence after reading this.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tonzafun

Tonzafun

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the detailed responses. Really like the look from the pics you sent. Definitely helps to put a visual with the text. Your Bronco looks great with that setup

kojack19

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks. One final thought. Beadlocks are not DOT approved. You may want to look at Method Bead Grip wheels as another option or Icon has something similar and in both zero and close to +30 offset. @Discount Tire here can take good care of you too with your needs.

Discount Tire

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks. One final thought. Beadlocks are not DOT approved. You may want to look at Method Bead Grip wheels as another option or Icon has something similar and in both zero and close to +30 offset. @Discount Tire here can take good care of you too with your needs.
@kojack19 Thank you for the shout out! The Method 703 and the Icon Rebound Pro are 2 of my personal favorites!

TEAMSLO

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Bronco 2.7 4d Oxford White & 22' JLURD
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Have you run beadlocks before? If so, disregard the long read below. If upi're referring to the factory beadlock rings, also disregard below as I'm unfamiliar with them and their intricacy.

I run beadlocks on my Jeep but I mostly air down to below 10 lbs while on the dirt. There is maintenance to do, checking the tq on every single bolt before every couple of runs that I go on.

Also, the charge for installing if you have a shop that will do so it's much more expensive than let's say discount tire with a regular wheel n tire combo. I've seen as cheap as 65 bucks a wheel to over 100 per wheel for shops that are willing to work on beadlocks. Discount Tire will balance them but won't install the tire to beadlock wheel.

Last week I had to reverse a directional tire on a beadlock, did it myself. Now I'm far from a seasoned tire changer, I will never have a career in it for obvious reasons. But you can imagine my 2 sons, father-in-law, and myself sweating profusely trying to get the tire off. Then spending the next 30-45 minutes with a sore back securing all the bolts properly. I think I went around securing them at least 12-15 times with a tq wrench for 20+ bolts.

Like others mentioned above, there are other options such as Method wheels, specifically the beadgrip line which I ran before on my Gladiator on 37s at 12 lbs with no issues ever. Also ICON Rebound Pro's which is a legal type of bead retention system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tonzafun

Tonzafun

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
thank you for the responses, everyone. I was looking at the beadlocks that come as one of the options for the Broncos from Ford from factory. I am particularly enamored with these below
Ford Bronco New wheels/tires questions 1695258650863

as they offer the colored trim rings that my wife believes will make it look beautiful to go with everything. I get what I want and she gets to feel pretty riding around, win/win.
Have you run beadlocks before? If so, disregard the long read below. If upi're referring to the factory beadlock rings, also disregard below as I'm unfamiliar with them and their intricacy.

I run beadlocks on my Jeep but I mostly air down to below 10 lbs while on the dirt. There is maintenance to do, checking the tq on every single bolt before every couple of runs that I go on.

Also, the charge for installing if you have a shop that will do so it's much more expensive than let's say discount tire with a regular wheel n tire combo. I've seen as cheap as 65 bucks a wheel to over 100 per wheel for shops that are willing to work on beadlocks. Discount Tire will balance them but won't install the tire to beadlock wheel.

Last week I had to reverse a directional tire on a beadlock, did it myself. Now I'm far from a seasoned tire changer, I will never have a career in it for obvious reasons. But you can imagine my 2 sons, father-in-law, and myself sweating profusely trying to get the tire off. Then spending the next 30-45 minutes with a sore back securing all the bolts properly. I think I went around securing them at least 12-15 times with a tq wrench for 20+ bolts.

Like others mentioned above, there are other options such as Method wheels, specifically the beadgrip line which I ran before on my Gladiator on 37s at 12 lbs with no issues ever. Also ICON Rebound Pro's which is a legal type of bead retention system.
thanks for the response. I have in the past run beadlocks, although it has been about ~15 years, I assume that things have changed. If I have learned anything getting older its to never assume stuff stays the same, not even tires/wheels. So if I can poll knowledge from folks that know more than me I will gratefully take as much as yall are willing to share.

Sponsored

TEAMSLO

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Bronco 2.7 4d Oxford White & 22' JLURD
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yeah those aren't a bad option, they are the beadlock capable wheels. The rings on those are not the beadlock rings. Plenty for sale around the country as well for a great price.

kojack19

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

thank you for the responses, everyone. I was looking at the beadlocks that come as one of the options for the Broncos from Ford from factory. I am particularly enamored with these below
Ford Bronco New wheels/tires questions 1695258650863

as they offer the colored trim rings that my wife believes will make it look beautiful to go with everything. I get what I want and she gets to feel pretty riding around, win/win.

thanks for the response. I have in the past run beadlocks, although it has been about ~15 years, I assume that things have changed. If I have learned anything getting older its to never assume stuff stays the same, not even tires/wheels. So if I can poll knowledge from folks that know more than me I will gratefully take as much as yall are willing to share.

So same +30 offset as mine on the pics above but 1/2 narrower. Only downside about the stock wheels is the weight.
Sponsored