Rick Sanchez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So with the factory armor I am led to believe the composite oil pan is exposed and can be damaged.

I know some of us like myself ordered the factory armor assuming it would be good enough to handle whatever was thrown at it.

If correct, I would be willing to pay a premium for a piece of armor that would better protect the oil pan while fitting in with the factory skids.

maybe if we drum up enough interest, my buddy @BAMF or one of these other fabricators would be willing to make something like this. What do you guys think?
Sponsored

Jgtln

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree. I was shocked when I looked under mine yesterday and say the plastic oil pan unprotected

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think you are looking more rear of where the oil pan is. I know On the 2.3 it is an aluminum pan. What is on the v6? I hope its not plastic lol

**UPDATE**

HOLY CRAP THE 2.7 HAS A PLASTIC OIL PAN!? That has to be the biggest mistake for an off-road vehicle. Could that be the reason for the failed engines?

Last edited:

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So with the factory armor I am led to believe the composite oil pan is exposed and can be damaged.

I know some of us like myself ordered the factory armor assuming it would be good enough to handle whatever was thrown at it.

If correct, I would be willing to pay a premium for a piece of armor that would better protect the oil pan while fitting in with the factory skids.

maybe if we drum up enough interest, my buddy @BAMF or one of these other fabricators would be willing to make something like this. What do you guys think?
Have you looked at @JcrOffroad’s Bronco skid plates? That’s what I’m installing on my rig.

Ford Bronco Oil pan protection 018104B5-B65F-48F0-971E-A6995D02F0E7

One of their skids is an engine skid plate. I’m not sure how well it integrates with the rest of the factory skids on a piecemeal basis, but it’s worth investigating. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you say:pLASTIC OIL PAN!! Are you freaking serious!!
People often laugh when they hear the words “plastic oil pan”, but technically, it’s a composite material that is highly engineered to satisfy multiple design criteria, and composites are often better than metal in this particular application.

Below is a good article that explains this in detail…

Autocomposites Update: Engine Oil Pans

I would recommend reading the entire article, but the excerpt below is a good example of some of the benefits of composite over metal in this application…

As work got underway at DaimlerChrysler in 2007, a parallel program involving BASF and Dana started at Ford Motor Co. (Dearborn, MI, US) on the automaker’s 5.4L/3V (three-valve) V-8 engine for Ford’s F-150 pickups. This three-year effort yielded a 56- by 28- by 20-cm pan that, minus hardware, weighed only 2.24 kg. Also approved for implementation, this effort led to the team’s first North American commercial opportunity, on the 6.7L power-stroke turbo-diesel Scorpion engine in heavy-duty F-250 and F-350 pickups. The Scorpion engine was selected because Ford engineers wanted to integrate an oil level/temperature sensor in this engine’s 38 by 25 by 10 cm, 1.5-kg (fully dressed with hardware) nonstructural pan ― something that would’ve been difficult in stamped steel but straightforward in composites.
Launched in 2009, it was reportedly the first composite oil pan designed for exposed use (typical of North American vehicles without full underbody shields) thanks to a new material (Ultramid B3ZG7 OSI 35%-short-glass/PA 6) and a new waffle-rib configuration. The latter, for which BASF has patents pending, was developed and validated via extensive computer-aided engineering (CAE) analysis and impact testing. A proprietary modification package optimized the resin for stone impacts to -40°C and stabilized it against long-term heat aging in hot oil, bio-diesel and calcium chloride road salts (which normally attack polyamide). Although earlier composite pans had featured sacrificial ribs, this new rib design stood up to multiple stone impacts in BASF testing. Struck by a 100g steel impactor at 113 kph, the PA 6 lower pan sustained no damage, faring far better than legacy aluminum. Pan mass was reduced by 45%, NVH values were similar to aluminum and the pan didn’t rust or corrode. Several components were integrated to reduce assembly cost and it featured the first plastic drain plug, with a cam-lock element to prevent over-torquing and breaking the plug’s screw threads.

FWIW, the reason I’m installing aftermarket skid plates on my Bronco is not because the oil pan is composite. It’s because no non-structural oil pan or transmission pan, composite or metal, is designed from the factory to be bashed on top of boulders while rock crawling.

Last edited:

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let's make up shit so Bronco6g has more to complain about.

BTW .... many many Ford engines use a composite oil pan
I agree but the forum members know more than any engineer. No matter what anyone says

#the.biggest.mistake.ever

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I guess these "engineers"haven't had anything to do with these vehicles in real life (extreme hot/cold/vibration)they end up leaking like a exxon ship in northern Canada,and don't get me started on the use of silicone instead of gaskets :mad:

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You can complain once your composite oil pan fails you. Until then let’s complain about valid issues?

I guess these "engineers"haven't had anything to do with these vehicles in real life (extreme hot/cold/vibration)they end up leaking like a exxon ship in northern Canada,and don't get me started on the use of silicone instead of gaskets :mad:

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tripodbruno

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma(no more) F-250, Hiker Trailer, Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The original F-150 2.7 did use silicone instead of a gasket and needed to be replaced (oil pan) entirely when it leaked. As it did often (one personal experience and heard of many others online and from the service tech.) As well, when replaced careful attention needed to be paid to application of the silicone. I have searched a bit and it seems that now they are using a gasket again. Not sure if a leak means you need to replace the entire pan still. There are still a few spots that require silicone application.

I have not found an aftermarket option. Not an expert but I would be a little concerned using anything dissimilar. The 2.3 is aluminum block, aluminum pan. The 2.7 is CGI with a composite pan at least it will likely be inert and not cause corrosion against the CGI which using aluminum might. I would want a steel pan. I'm sure the composite saves weight, cost etc.. and works for 99% of folks use except for the small % bashing over rocks.

Maybe wrongly assumed the full bash plates would cover most of the pan. I will be checking that and adding armor before switching out to a pan that doesn't exist (that I can find.) 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
GETSCHWIFTY

GETSCHWIFTY

First Name
Rick Sanchez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I was really just wanting something that was going to cover the underside below the oil pan. 🤷🏻

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

BTW .... many many Ford engines use a composite oil pan
Just talking this out, not being mean spirited towards your post.

So BASF ran their own control test on a AL and their own composite oil pans, No Bias there I guess, Throwing rocks at each pan over 50 MPH up to -40 Celsius, and testing the durability? I want to know when a rock will be traveling at 50+ MPH, directly hitting my oil pan, on an off road trail? If it does, then i have much more bigger problem than cracking my oil pan, i should be worrying about why i am rolling down a cliff.

I really dont think these pans will survive survive the majority of the weight of the vehicle in a high centering event, just like an AL pan wouldn’t either. It may be a weight savings aspect only. I just dont see the benefits outweighing the cost savings. If it is not broke, dont mess with it.

I guess I’m an old man for not liking these Ultramid® B3ZG7 OSI oil pans. Apparantly this is the first replacement on the Coyote engines, swapping to a metal oil pan. I am glad that the 2.3 is still running a metal one. If I were to get the 2.7 or the 3.0, I would swap it out for an after market pan. Good luck with the plastic drain plug, everyone.

Ford Bronco Oil pan protection 1647792373483

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was really just wanting something that was going to cover the underside below the oil pan. 🤷🏻
Oil pan is on the bottom of the engine. Hence, an engine skid plate. 🤷‍♂️