Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The Badlands Bilstein takeoffs I got are going on my Black Diamond this coming weekend, and I wanted to use new hardware because they are all single use (I know it's not required, but I wanted to try).

I looked up the strut mounting nut part number and I got 12 of them for the install. I then brought them home and compared them to the ones that the original owner included with them when they got shipped to me and they are not the same size.

Seems like they switched the size between the '21/'22 and the '23 model year that these takeoffs came off of. I also can't find the part number for ones that apply to '23, as the ones I bought are only for '21 and '22. The new one for '23 is on the right below. Anyone happen to be able to look up the applicable part number I can't find? @flip ?
Ford Bronco Okay... Need help identifying the correct part number on suspension nuts PXL_20230327_235559876

After thinking about it, I guess as long as they are the correct size, they would just need to be tightened father down the threads of the bolt because they are shorter, but it shouldn't be an issue, right?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
5280Bronco

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Okay, so after further testing, the difference is greater between the two, so I'm going to have to use the original hardware provided on the takeoffs.

On the 21 and 22, the shock mount nuts/bolts are M10-1.5, while the 23 seems to use M10-1.25 nuts/bolts. I can't seem to find equivalent nuts at the hardware store, Ford or online where I can get them quickly. I'm sure that using the original ones for a second time should be fine, but we'll see.

Ford Bronco Okay... Need help identifying the correct part number on suspension nuts PXL_20230328_195702421

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Chevy, 2004 Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Base
Okay, so after further testing, the difference is greater between the two, so I'm going to have to use the original hardware provided on the takeoffs.

On the 21 and 22, the shock mount nuts/bolts are M10-1.5, while the 23 seems to use M10-1.25 nuts/bolts. I can't seem to find equivalent nuts at the hardware store, Ford or online where I can get them quickly. I'm sure that using the original ones for a second time should be fine, but we'll see.

Ford Bronco Okay... Need help identifying the correct part number on suspension nuts PXL_20230328_195702421
I also have take offs from sas 2021 and it seems to have the same nuts M 10x1.5.... found these to use for replacement?
Amazon.com: M10 x 1.5mm (20 PCS) Flange Washer Nylon Insert Hex Locknuts Lock Nuts, 304 Stainless Steel 18-8, Bright Finish, Coarse Thread UNC, A2-70 SS, DIN6926 : Industrial & Scientific

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes, you will be fine reusing the original nuts.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The top cap changed somewhere along the line to a MB3Z-18A099-E which Ford calls "fine pitch studs". For my '22 BL the catalogue is showing W520213-S440 as the correct nuts. I would reuse what you have or get me the VIN from the donor so I can look it up in HVBOM.

Sponsored

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This pisses me off like no other... I still cannot fathom that Ford has the balls to supply these units with SINGLE USE hardware. WTF????? I have never seen this in my life. What kind of shit material are they using that they would do that? I tore into half my suspension two nights ago and saw the same language in the shop PDF. I said 'fuck that' and immediately grabbed a tube of red thread locker. What a bunch of dumb shit that is. I was pissed. None of my Toyotas had that kind of nonsense, and certainly my 2015 Ram 6.7l CD sure doesn't (it's hardware was forged in Valhalla)...

Ford literally has a little picture of a trash can and an arrow in the shop manual when you remove this hardware. Horseshit. I am putting it in the category of 'idiotic Ford shit that makes me question my decision to have bought another Ford product', which I swore I never would again.

Ok- rant over... I still love my Bronco... but I am still VERY leery of Ford (if you've ever backed the threads out of an aluminum Ford motor during a simple spark plug change you'll know...).

OP
OP
5280Bronco

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The top cap changed somewhere along the line to a MB3Z-18A099-E which Ford calls "fine pitch studs". For my '22 BL the catalogue is showing W520213-S440 as the correct nuts. I would reuse what you have or get me the VIN from the donor so I can look it up in HVBOM.
DMd you. Thanks for the help.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This pisses me off like no other... I still cannot fathom that Ford has the balls to supply these units with SINGLE USE hardware. WTF????? I have never seen this in my life. What kind of shit material are they using that they would do that? I tore into half my suspension two nights ago and saw the same language in the shop PDF. I said 'fuck that' and immediately grabbed a tube of red thread locker. What a bunch of dumb shit that is. I was pissed. None of my Toyotas had that kind of nonsense, and certainly my 2015 Ram 6.7l CD sure doesn't (it's hardware was forged in Valhalla)...

Ford literally has a little picture of a trash can and an arrow in the shop manual when you remove this hardware. Horseshit. I am putting it in the category of 'idiotic Ford shit that makes me question my decision to have bought another Ford product', which I swore I never would again.

Ok- rant over... I still love my Bronco... but I am still VERY leery of Ford (if you've ever backed the threads out of an aluminum Ford motor during a simple spark plug change you'll know...).
They started getting serious about this 4-5 years ago and was going as far as charging back entire claims because OTU hardware wasn't replaced. It's my understanding that this came from engineering and applied to hardware that was torque to yield, was locking or had thread locker applied from the factory. They've started backing off of this policy due to supplier issues and IMO, increased warranty costs. Is it a good idea to replace if they've been on there for a long time, lost their corrosion coating or part of a critical system? Yes. Do dealers have to follow the published repair instructions? Yes. Was this new policy stupid and overly burdensome? Yes. Would I reuse most of the hardware on my on vehicles? Yes.

Ford is starting to include some of the OTU stuff (as recommended by technicians) in kits like overhauls. The biggest problem techs had was following a repair in the manual sends to other sections of the manual (to pull the dash you have to remove seats and floor console) which would then have another set of OTU hardware. Miss any of it and the dealer could end up eating the whole claim.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Ooof!! I hate "Fine" threads with a passion. Fine Metric threads tend to seize, in my experience. I got tired of replacing broken wheel studs in my Infiniti G35, so I swapped out every M12x1.25 wheel stud with an M12x1.5 stud and never had another stud failure.
Sponsored