Sponsored

Opening the door with iced windows or battery dead?

ab_slack

Black Diamond
First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Explorer and 87 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Since the windows open slightly automatically for clearance when opening the doors, what happens when it can't? Is it possible to still open the doors? Anyone directly experience this? Such as when window is completely iced up. Or if battery is dead?

I get that ice can be scraped off, but sometimes that is easier said than done and the big problem is the ice scraper is stored in the car.

I don't have a garage and in the northeast I regular experience times when my cars are completely covered with ice. Sometimes if it is really cold it can be near impossible to scrape any significant amount till the car is warmed up and with a manual I won't have remote start.

If I am home I can keep a scraper in the house or grab one out of one of the other vehicles which don't have this situation, but sometimes ice occurs when I am not home.
Sponsored

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The doors will still open without the windows indexing, it will just cause the rubber seal to stretch or maybe get pinched when you close it.

So just pull it open either way, scrape the ice, replace dead battery, then everything should be fine.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ice, remote start. Dead battery use the key to unlock and open the door. It will open without the window dropping.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The windows do not index UNTIL after the windows clear the weatherstripping and solid weatherstrip backing. So they will open just fine, the issue may come in closing them if they are not indexed.

If @Ford is listening, the windows should index immediately when one touches the door handle to unlock, in fact it should be an option to make windows index when either unlock button on key fob is pressed or person with key in pocket touches door handle
Sponsored