Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will say, the 2.3 responds very well to a bigger intercooler and a tune - I had trouble keeping the back tires on my Mustang from spinning (even with 285's) with the TC turned off... definitely a lot of fun :)

Sponsored

330SMG

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 ,89 325i and 72 Dodge Charger SE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I just confirmed my order for the 2022 Badlands, I had a 21 MY order that had to get converted over and made some changes to it. I wanted to test drive it too just to make sure I'd actually enjoy driving it since I'm getting it as a daily driver and ORV. I loved it but I have some concerns. Namely the 2.3L Inline 4.

So I should start by saying the top thing that attracts me to the Bronco is that it checks all my boxes for my requirements
1. Has to be Manual (I refuse to drive automatics they're incredibly boring to me.)
2. Has to have 4 doors (got a family and plan to have more kids so a 2 door anything is a no-go.)
3. I live in NE Washington near the Idaho state line and our winters are always snowy so, I gotta have AWD or selectable 4x4

Until the bronco was announced that left me with pretty much 2 options, Another Subaru or a Jeep.

I test drove a Jeep Rubicon and the ride on the road was horrible in my opinion and the newer Subaru's feel soulless (I think my 2011 2.5i was the last good year in my opinion)

Anyways back to the matter at hand now that you have background info. My concern is that I test drove the Wildtrek 2.7L with the auto (because I've yet to find a manual one to test out) and I'm concerned that the 2.3L isn't going to be anywhere near as snappy as the 2.7L. To be clear, I'm not buying the thing for its 0-60 time to begin with and it's nowhere near my top concern. At the same time, however, there's a fun factor that comes from hitting the accelerator and getting that burst of speed.

Does anyone out there have a 2.3L with the manual that they've been driving and can you share your experience? Did you test drive a 2.7L? How do you think it compares? I mean I know on paper there's a loss of about 40hp and 80ft-lb of torque but I guess what I'm asking is is it a noticeable difference?

Badlands.PNG
Have a 2.3 in the Ranger we bought until the Bronco comes in, even with an autotragic it is quick enough and does not labor.
My wife ordered a Mansquatch Badlands... The wait begins

SaveTheManuals

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have almost 7000 miles on my 2.3L 2 door with 35in nittos on it. I will say that it is not fast and adding the 35's did slow it down a bit. Low speed is a little bit zippy, but highways is sluggish. I just got my shipped email from panda motorsports for the tuner device. Hoping that adds enough to regain what I lost from adding bigger tires and then some. With all that being said, the car I traded in for the bronco was a 450whp mustang so its a very different driving experience.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My old Daily driver , a 2015 Outback 2.5, is now the wifes daily.

My new daily is the baseBase manual 2dr. 4.46 gears with 30" tires.

Obviously, very different beasts, but the Bronco WILL get out of its own way.

My Outback was VERY snappy off the line, almost to a fault, the bronco is not.

There are a number of posts covering how the Bronco 1st gear feels sometimes too short, and that makes it feel a bit lurchy when you shift.

Overall, it is different. My Base LOVES to run the hiway. I've been in traffic at 90 - 95 mph and it is no issue. The only time it ever felt lacking, heavy traffic at HIGH speeds, I put it in Sport mode and the turbo lag was GONE.

Like another already said, if the Subie was ok, you'll love the Bronco.

My only regret is MAYBE I should have gotten the more door. But I bought this cheap version to test the waters.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Driving a slow manual is more fun than a fast automatic, especially a not very sporty Auto. Iā€™m getting a 2door 2.3 Basemansquatch or a badlands manual if one ever shows up on a lot for a reasonable price while I wait for the Basemansquatch. Iā€™m not going to test drive a 2.7 or a 2.3 beforehand because my requirement for this vehicle is removable top and doors, Manual, 4x4. I donā€™t think that either will be very impressive power wise in stock form but manuals may not be around much longer and if you are into modding, either EB engine will have a lot of potential. Iā€˜m on my 3rd Modified SUbaru STi and cars like this (manual, AWD, Turbo, hydraulic steering), cars or trucks that YOU actually control, wonā€™t be around long either. Get ā€˜ā€˜em while you can.
Sponsored