First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i premium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I just confirmed my order for the 2022 Badlands, I had a 21 MY order that had to get converted over and made some changes to it. I wanted to test drive it too just to make sure I'd actually enjoy driving it since I'm getting it as a daily driver and ORV. I loved it but I have some concerns. Namely the 2.3L Inline 4.

So I should start by saying the top thing that attracts me to the Bronco is that it checks all my boxes for my requirements
1. Has to be Manual (I refuse to drive automatics they're incredibly boring to me.)
2. Has to have 4 doors (got a family and plan to have more kids so a 2 door anything is a no-go.)
3. I live in NE Washington near the Idaho state line and our winters are always snowy so, I gotta have AWD or selectable 4x4

Until the bronco was announced that left me with pretty much 2 options, Another Subaru or a Jeep.

I test drove a Jeep Rubicon and the ride on the road was horrible in my opinion and the newer Subaru's feel soulless (I think my 2011 2.5i was the last good year in my opinion)

Anyways back to the matter at hand now that you have background info. My concern is that I test drove the Wildtrek 2.7L with the auto (because I've yet to find a manual one to test out) and I'm concerned that the 2.3L isn't going to be anywhere near as snappy as the 2.7L. To be clear, I'm not buying the thing for its 0-60 time to begin with and it's nowhere near my top concern. At the same time, however, there's a fun factor that comes from hitting the accelerator and getting that burst of speed.

Does anyone out there have a 2.3L with the manual that they've been driving and can you share your experience? Did you test drive a 2.7L? How do you think it compares? I mean I know on paper there's a loss of about 40hp and 80ft-lb of torque but I guess what I'm asking is is it a noticeable difference?

Badlands.PNG
Sponsored

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.3 is just fine, I don't have mine yet but I test drove a manual Badlands and the manual transmission with the 4.7 gears from the factory felt amazing

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The 2.3 is plenty for my needs. It’s fun once it hits the boost. You won’t mistake it for a sports car but it definitely isn’t boring! I plan to put a tune on it and make that power available lower in the RPMs, which should really make it fun!
Don’t stress about the motor. It’s definitely worth it to keep the manual.

rustedgoat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a base model, 2.3 manual. I found the 1st to 2nd shift to come up really quick. Once in 2nd I would say accelerating is no problem. This was with the stock 30" tires on the base, I installed 32" rims/tires from an Outer Banks and found the 1st to 2nd shift more bearable even though I'm only talking maybe 1-2 mph difference before shifting to 2nd.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Russ.Gil

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.3 is just fine, I don't have mine yet but I test drove a manual Badlands and the manual transmission with the 4.7 gears from the factory felt amazing
Glad to hear it that really helps me feel better about my firm stance on manual

OP
OP
Russ.Gil

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP
Russ.Gil

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2.3 is plenty for my needs. It’s fun once it hits the boost. You won’t mistake it for a sports car but it definitely isn’t boring! I plan to put a tune on it and make that power available lower in the RPMs, which should really make it fun!
Don’t stress about the motor. It’s definitely worth it to keep the manual.
That was my biggest concern is that it would feel boring I'm glad to hear you don't feel that way and it's definitely helped rest my concerns. I have seen some tuning kits coming out for the 2.7l so hopefully we manual fans will get some good tuning and performance kit for our 2.3's

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You drive a 2.5i impreza. The 2.3EB is gonna be just fine.

OP
OP
Russ.Gil

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a base model, 2.3 manual. I found the 1st to 2nd shift to come up really quick. Once in 2nd I would say accelerating is no problem. This was with the stock 30" tires on the base, I installed 32" rims/tires from an Outer Banks and found the 1st to 2nd shift more bearable even though I'm only talking maybe 1-2 mph difference before shifting to 2nd.
Awesome that was another thing I was going to do too was I want to get 35s on my Badlands and I was worried about the power drop there, good to know your base model did well with 32s.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Russ.Gil

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You drive a 2.5i impreza. The 2.3EB is gonna be just fine.
Haha Yea I figured it'd be a lot better than my little 100somthing HP Impreza lol just after driving the 2.7 I wasn't sure how much of a drop to really expect.

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Subaru's feel soulless…
I have somehow got the impression that they are putting all the soul that they have into their TV commercials, rather than into their vehicles.

OP
OP
Russ.Gil

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have somehow got the impression that they are putting all the soul that they have into their TV commercials, rather than into their vehicles.
Yea, I drove a 2021 WRX and hated it. It just felt... bleh which is crazy because the 2012-2015ish WRX's are amazing. I feel like the Toyota take over has something to do with it but who knows.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your number one non-negotiable item is a manual transmission.

There is no other engine option to consider in the Bronco if that is true.

Your thread is moot unless your items are not really must haves

OP
OP
Russ.Gil

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your number one non-negotiable item is a manual transmission.

There is no other engine option to consider in the Bronco if that is true.

Your thread is moot unless your items are not really must haves
I'm aware that I don't have a choice. I was trying to get a feel for what other people felt about their 2.3L.
Sponsored