Status
Not open for further replies.

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live in snow hell. I need a rugged vehicle capable of handling the rough winters here. This will be no mall crawler for me. The ground clearance sold me. In Canada there are a ton of trails and camps.
Sponsored

OldGrayMare

Badlands
First Name
Jami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '67 Tempest, '85 Yota SR5, '16 ATS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We’ve got three 4X4s already. Do we need another one, probably not. Two of those are rock crawlers. Do we need another one, probably not. I want my new bronco to be just as capable as our old one. Pavement Princess or Trail Queen...depends on what day it is. It’s gonna do it all.

OP
OP

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 Hummer, Explorer Sport, BMW R1200C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We’ve got three 4X4s already. Do we need another one, probably not. Two of those are rock crawlers. Do we need another one, probably not. I want my new bronco to be just as capable as our old one. Pavement Princess or Trail Queen...depends on what day it is. It’s gonna do it all.
nice pic

rigel

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan murano 2017
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I keep reading this board everybody sounds like they need the squatch package and the larger engine. I would be willing to bet the majority of these vehicles will be mall crawlers rather than overlanders or rock crawlers.
Mall crawler you don't need much you only want to bedazzle it cause it looks cool
DD with occasional overlanding probable only need 33s and rear lockers at most
True off-roader rock crawler you will benefit from the works.
My two cents: Some people are/will be starting a new hobby (like me). I want everything possible so I can be successful. I DO NOT plan to do rock crawling but if I get in to a situation, I want to know the Bronco can handle it.

rigel

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan murano 2017
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

and that's a dope profile pic

Sponsored

BRNCONOW!

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F150 XLT Super Crew Short Bed 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It is not about need. All about want. I am honest with myself. I'll never go rock crawling. Won't be overlanding or even camping. Honestly, not a fan of camping. I may hit an occasional back dirt or logging road to get to a favorite mountain bike trail. I know for sure I'll be in the lovely snow and slush of New England winters. Most of driving will be around town and doing day to day stuff. I am still getting a 2dr BD with the 2.7 and Auto 4x4. I want it for how it looks and for the 310 HP and 400+ torque. I want to cruise with top and door off. I want a new vehicle and the Bronco just looks cool to me. I am old enough to afford pretty much what I want. Thought sports sedan or hot hatch (A5 or a VW GTI/R). Never really loved them and the wifey was meh on them. Asked why I would want to ride on the ground. I've been driving a F150 SuperCrew for 10 years. Used to riding up high. Showed her the Bronco and she said, nice go ahead :). Funny thing with the F150 is that people in car forums said the same thing (who needs a 4x4 pick up truck with a V8 and tow package if you are just going to Home Depot. More vehicle than you need. Just get a minivan, it will haul more, etc). The thing is I love my F150. Been awesome. Never towed a thing with it, never went off roading, I don't used it for construction work. Yup - HomeDepot, the drump, hauling mountain bikes, beach stuff for a week on The Cape (rental house - not camping :) ), school drop off, grocery store and occasional trip to the mall. When I get my Bronco, I am keep the F150. Oldest son just turned 16 and he'll get the F150 to go to school and bring him and his younger brother to practice. Get what you want and what will make you happy. None of us need any of this.

Raptor2G

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We're looking at a Wildtrak for the wife and frankly, the closest thing to off-roading it will do will be the bump at the front of my driveway. So why the wildtrak?

2 main reasons - we like how it looks and resale value, however we also get some bad winter weather here so the bonus of additional ground clearance etc comes in handy.

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I buying a BLs. Went 5k over budget! YODO!

95% Im driving to my job which I live 5 minutes from!

Buuut...5% left I take 30 days off every year and pick a region to explore. Alot of times I'm picking NPs, hiking, camping, and light off roading bc I'm alone most the time I won't put myself in a sticky situation!

Also in 5 years I plan on turning this vehicle into a camping vehicle so nice already having the heavier duty options from the factory. Granted mine BLs isn't getting a SAS or a 2.7. I learned the hard way having a lift jeep I didn't need all that. Did look killer tho!

You do you!! Want it..get it! You decide doesn't fit your life, change it, sell it, & start over.

Kept the jeep a year. Sold it! Got a car & love my car! I forgot how fun it is to just fast and not have the wind drag by driving a box on wheel. So my BLs hopefully be the best of both worlds! I'm super stoked for my plans for Alaska in 22! Banff/Jasper 4200 beautiful miles one way!

Ford Bronco OVERESTIMATION Screenshot_20201026-123041~2

Ford Bronco OVERESTIMATION FB_IMG_1603734397345

Last edited:

Andrew_EOD

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My thinking comes from having what you need when you need it. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Case in point, I went through Hurricane Michael a couple years ago. Trees. Debris. Flooded roads and other high water. It was literally life and death to be able to get through that. Personally, my little car couldn't even leave the driveway and I depended on people with jeeps. Now, I have no desire for a jeep like every 6th car on the road it seems, including at work. But, a new Bronco? I can get aboard that and will buy one that CAN get me out of any apocalyptic scenario in the future.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
One factor to consider is depreciation.
I bought my current vehicle, a 2016 Ford Mustang Convertible with 6500 miles on it and about 1 year old, for $23K.
I think that car is worth about $16K right now. I am super happy with only $7K of depreciation.
The Mustang depreciation rate is very low after the first year. I think the Bronco will be low, even in the first year.

I am planning to buy my Base Bronco for about $33K. I expect to sell that thing (if I want) for about $20K, even after I put 60K miles on it over maybe 4-5 years. If you get the Sasquatch and a higher trim level, you might be able to get that same ratio... though I think the base is a "safer bet".

Keep in mind that average $40K vehicles depreciate like a rock. I would not be surprised to see my $33K Bronco be worth more than a $43K "Premier" Trim Level Blazer in 4 years.

Sponsored
OP
OP

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 Hummer, Explorer Sport, BMW R1200C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It is not about need. All about want. I am honest with myself. I'll never go rock crawling. Won't be overlanding or even camping. Honestly, not a fan of camping. I may hit an occasional back dirt or logging road to get to a favorite mountain bike trail. I know for sure I'll be in the lovely snow and slush of New England winters. Most of driving will be around town and doing day to day stuff. I am still getting a 2dr BD with the 2.7 and Auto 4x4. I want it for how it looks and for the 310 HP and 400+ torque. I want to cruise with top and door off. I want a new vehicle and the Bronco just looks cool to me. I am old enough to afford pretty much what I want. Thought sports sedan or hot hatch (A5 or a VW GTI/R). Never really loved them and the wifey was meh on them. Asked why I would want to ride on the ground. I've been driving a F150 SuperCrew for 10 years. Used to riding up high. Showed her the Bronco and she said, nice go ahead :). Funny thing with the F150 is that people in car forums said the same thing (who needs a 4x4 pick up truck with a V8 and tow package if you are just going to Home Depot. More vehicle than you need. Just get a minivan, it will haul more, etc). The thing is I love my F150. Been awesome. Never towed a thing with it, never went off roading, I don't used it for construction work. Yup - HomeDepot, the drump, hauling mountain bikes, beach stuff for a week on The Cape (rental house - not camping :) ), school drop off, grocery store and occasional trip to the mall. When I get my Bronco, I am keep the F150. Oldest son just turned 16 and he'll get the F150 to go to school and bring him and his younger brother to practice. Get what you want and what will make you happy. None of us need any of this.
Sound like You're not concerned about price....totally agree with you

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
in all honesty, 98% of my driving will be on pavement - but if and when I do decide to take it offroad, I want it to be capable... but I also want to look good (all the time). I'm leaning towards either the Wildtrak or a Sasquatched OBX (just so I can get that roasted leather interior)... are they overkill for something that will be on the road 98% of the time? yup. do I care? Nope :) it'll look amazing, and that's half the appeal of this truck, is it's looks
Yes - My feelings exactly. I am in Vermont where I drive 60 miles round trip to work each day (on the highway) and have been doing so in different Raptors over the last three years. I get out 6-10 times a year into some back roads, ventured out to Northern Maine a couple times where it was nice to have that suspension, but seriously doubt I will ever 'rock crawl' . . . however I do think the Sasquatch looks awesome and will have it, along with the 2.7 in hopes it will tow my 21' SeaDoo . . . why? - because that is what I want! I am leaning toward the WildTrak (which I reserved) but may switch to the (Sasquatch) OBX because I do prefer the Navy Pier and the fact it is the only one with the powered seats . . . adding Lux, mesh bimini, tow package and hard top (if I end up with the OBX - already standard on the WT) and hope it shows up ASAP! . . . still torn on the color and will probably decide at the time of the order.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I keep reading this board everybody sounds like they need the squatch package and the larger engine. I would be willing to bet the majority of these vehicles will be mall crawlers rather than overlanders or rock crawlers.
Mall crawler you don't need much you only want to bedazzle it cause it looks cool
DD with occasional overlanding probable only need 33s and rear lockers at most
True off-roader rock crawler you will benefit from the works.
Newsflash kid.

"Overlanders" ARE the new mallcrawlers.

But of course, you're right. Only you will wheel a new Bronco to it's limits, bet you'd roll it on day two. Too bad your mom won't buy you one, then I could find me some cheap samsquamch takeoffs for a cruise down to Kohls.

Inventor

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well B, this is one of the big secrets in life, before we create the world we want to be in, we dream it all up first. That's what is happening. We are all doing it.

TX_Bronco77

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I live in Houston and if you've ever seen pictures or a news program about houston's weather, but you never know what you may need to crawl out of. We also have fun on the beach in Galveston when no one is looking, plus there are some great National parks in Texas.
And this is one of my primary reasons to switch from a Mustang to a loaded Bronco. I may not rock crawl it but I guarantee I will be forging flood waters a lot in it. No more waiting on a relative or friend to come pick me up in their trucks.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.