Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback 3.6R (for now)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

B6Gers,

Wondering what type of range (mileage) you are getting while overlanding with different rigs, terrains, duration, etc. Here in the North East most paths are through logging roads but they vary wildly (in my limited experience) and I have a lead foot. If it ever arrives, I'll be running a stock, non-SAS Badlands overloaded with beer and gadgets in a month. By EOY likely adding pizza cutters and potentially a rooftop tent - but looking to see what others are getting for range in similar and non-similar rigs when overlanding and whether it compromises your planning?
Sponsored

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The only time I've really paid attention off-road (using the lie-o-meter) I got about 13 mpg going up the mountain, reset it, and got 22 mpg going down the mountain. Rarely exceeded 15 mph since it was pretty rough. I would think on fire roads your average mileage would be roughly the same as on road (higher from lower speeds, lower from braking and accelerating).

OP
OP
masshole

masshole

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback 3.6R (for now)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only time I've really paid attention off-road (using the lie-o-meter) I got about 13 mpg going up the mountain, reset it, and got 22 mpg going down the mountain. Rarely exceeded 15 mph since it was pretty rough. I would think on fire roads your average mileage would be roughly the same as on road (higher from lower speeds, lower from braking and accelerating).
Awesome, thanks. That's not too bad, right? Do you carry Jerry cans? I'm trying to figure out the logistics of that but the idea of carrying that much combustible fluid (wherever it fits) gives me the heebie jeebies.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have an RSE spare tire mount for a Rotopax that I got from a forum member for cheap, but I pretty much just do day trips so I haven't carried it yet. Even while hunting we were close enough to a little town that I could grab gas if I needed it.

The idea of carrying gas outside of the vehicle doesn't bother me while off-road, but I sure wouldn't carry it around full while in town. Other people suck at driving!

OP
OP
masshole

masshole

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback 3.6R (for now)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have an RSE spare tire mount for a Rotopax that I got from a forum member for cheap, but I pretty much just do day trips so I haven't carried it yet. Even while hunting we were close enough to a little town that I could grab gas if I needed it.

The idea of carrying gas outside of the vehicle doesn't bother me while off-road, but I sure wouldn't carry it around full while in town. Other people suck at driving!
Thanks. I too fear the other drivers more than anything!
Sponsored