North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Left the pic in, just because of it's 70's awesomeness.

Since the painted Mod top isn't metal, I think the hail damage concern is moot. However, there is the trail scratching concern.

I went with MIC, and figure if I hate it, I'll have it painted, or plasti dipped, or something - most likely white. Having driven a JK with a molded top for 13 years, I think we're going to find the MICs very practical in a functional way (painted vs ABS flares are a similar discussion). Besides wind noise n the front two corners of a 13 year old top, the only problem I have had is the passenger freedom panel getting water in it during heavy rains (which I think I have now sealed).

Since the supplier is having so much trouble with the Mods, maybe they aren't so practical ... maybe MIC is the way to go. Especially if you intend to use the Bronco.
I'm torn, I want a white top but I don't want the scratches so I'm leaning back to MIC. But everything I've read about doing colored Line-X on your roof or body is its very difficult to keep clean.
Sponsored

RHW

Badlands
First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I
I went looking for pics of Texas hail damage, the stuff I have to watch out for, and I came across a Lite Brite video of all things, when they are not doing Jeep/Bronco videos they are actually car insurance appraisers.

Texas Hail:
maxresdefault.jpg

Texas Hail Damage:
r960-de956c81f20d1f18aa290c9fc72c8fc1.jpg

Texas Hail Protection:
2744dd87-5da0-4095-8c52-d28bdfbbf451_750x422.jpg
Living in North Texas, this is accurate. I remember many times I have had to hastily grab all the blankets/old comforters from the hall closet and throw them over the cars out front, dodging hail myself. Or preemptively throwing them on when the word Hail was mentioned in the news or the sky started to turn green. Always best to have a garage or carport

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm torn, I want a white top but I don't want the scratches so I'm leaning back to MIC. But everything I've read about doing colored Line-X on your roof or body is its very difficult to keep clean.
Why can't you buy a white top later if you turn out to hate the MIC top? afaik this isn't a 'one-way-door' decision

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yeah - that is why I was thinking trying plastidip, at least as a try out. My son's tan Jeep hardtop was a dirt magnetic mess impossible to keep looking good. a gloss Line-X like hard surface would be washable, but the texture would offer infinite dirt valleys.

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
First, let me say I got the Base with the MIC top, and I prefer that to a painted top, but this comment is true regardless of bias.

I just glanced out an upstairs window and saw my 4Runner from above in afternoon light and realized for the first time I have many dings on the roof. Hail? Walnuts? Not even sure. The hood has zero. So I conclude the roof is a thinner or more malleable metal than the hood.

I then thought about how probably hail or whatever wonā€™t damage the MIC top.

This is my theory. Plenty of time for theories while I wait.

Unrelated:

This photo from 1978 shows my dadā€™s 1976 Bronco, which I still have. The orange 1978 Renegade CJ-7 with Leviā€™s package was my momā€™s. This was a meet-up with a bunch of other folks before heading out to explore trails all day.

5AC7521B-1A14-499B-AB08-1F1E3B418C93.jpeg
Who is taking the picture of the person taking a picture of your Parent's rigs?

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I went looking for pics of Texas hail damage, the stuff I have to watch out for, and I came across a Lite Brite video of all things, when they are not doing Jeep/Bronco videos they are actually car insurance appraisers.

Texas Hail Protection:
2744dd87-5da0-4095-8c52-d28bdfbbf451_750x422.jpg
It's called "Car Bubble". Googleit.

OP
OP
MississippiMule

MississippiMule

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota 4Runner, 1976 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Here is the ā€˜76 about six weeks ago. My dad quit using it in the 1990s (he had a Tahoe by then and wasnā€™t the Steve McQueen adventurer of his youth), and it was not driven often. I was an adult and lived away. My brother drove it some in the late ā€˜90s. Due to infrequent use, the tanks/lines were gummed up and it would choke out driving around. My brother and I did not have the funds nor the knowledge to get it right, but it was essentially mint until then (except the wheel well cutouts, flares, and tires, it was bone stock, as when bought new in Brookhaven, MS, and still is). In 2000 it had no dash cracks, perfect rubber floors, perfect vinyl seats. The top has never been off. No lift. Not long after purchase, he got the rear wells cut, added the flares, and replaced the four wheels and tires. That spare is the original wheel, hubcap, and even tire.

I still donā€™t have the finances to have both a daily driver and a money pit for fun on the side. So Iā€™m beyond excited about the 2021 Base I ordered as a daily driver and also weekend adventurer. However, this gives me the space now to begin slowly working on the Bronco. A much more mechanically inclined buddy has volunteered to help us get started getting it back running, across upcoming Sunday afternoons. Heā€™s a Toyota overland nut, but once he saw the Bronco in my momā€™s driveway he got fired up. There is something special about that pony. It has that effect on everyone. It symbolizes everything joyful.

I donā€™t remotely have funds to ā€œresto-modā€ it like a Jay Leno rig. Just want to get it cleaned up and driveable around town. Replace the flares and tires, brakes, possibly gas tanks, etc. Leave patina. Middle of hood and grill at front are dented in from a fallen tree. Will leave that as-is.

This vehicle is why I am so passionate about Broncos. It took us everywhere as kids. It has just never been practical to pour money into it. We lobbied dad to spend to get it going, but he said he didnā€™t understand why we wanted to drive a primitive, unsafe vehicle instead of modern tech. At the same time, he never got rid of it. He just moved it out of the garage. That Bronco is in some ways the spiritual epicenter of the family ethos. It is revered not just by us but all our buddies we grew up with. Dad passed four years ago.

The ONLY time it ever got stuck was in the late ā€˜80s when my parents and some friends were having drinks and Dad decided they should go four-wheeling in his ā€˜87 XLT about 10 p.m. near the big local lake. He got that one stuck badly in a mud hole. I guess he had his ā€œbag phoneā€ then, because he called a friend to pick him up to take him home to get the ā€˜76 to pull it out. Got that stuck, too. Had to get a wrecker, which I believe initially got stuck as well.

I want to get it running but donā€™t want to have to rely on it. And it would really be just for cruising, not off-roading at this point. Hence the new Bronco, which I also donā€™t have to share with my brother, and has a top thatā€™s easy to take in and off. At this point, it would be just wrong to remove the ā€˜76 top.

Maybe this is all part of why Iā€™m irked that after I dashed to reserve the new Base Bronco, I hear about line-cutters who didnā€™t care enough to sign up on day one, getting pushed up to get some silly-ass loaded luxury ā€œBronco.ā€ I felt my dad in the room with a bourbon in his hand, grinning and saying ā€œWatch thisā€ before traversing a steep slope, the night of 7/14 when I made the reservation and sent a screenshot of it to everyone in the family.

The Base is the PERFECT update of the classic. Spartan simplicity but also basic modern tech to make it the daily driver and highway-worthy.

Ford Bronco Possible advantage of MIC tops B919AFF8-DD4E-4612-A9F4-03D12D47414D

Last edited:

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The MIC just makes sense for durability. Will it look as good on day 1 as a Mod top...maybe not. Will it look as good on Day 750...probably better than the Mod top. The dings, abrasions the top and inserts are bound to absorb will provide a lasting viability IMO.

Sponsored

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Seems like everyone wants to do the top the hard way. MOD top with a $300 vinyl job and your done. Any color you want, even clear. No scratches no nasty linex, and you can change it when you want. The MIC top is the one thats going to scratch terribly because there is no way to protect it.

OP
OP
MississippiMule

MississippiMule

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

On my Base, I LOVE the steel wheels. But if the new Bronc were available with white MIC top and white fender flares, I would probably replace the wheels with classic ā€˜70s style white wheels like on that ā€˜76, which were American brand. My momā€™s ā€˜78 CJ-7 came with those.

OP
OP
MississippiMule

MississippiMule

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not a fan of Line-X or Rhino on exteriors. Looks silly and adds a lot of weight. Belongs just in truck beds and floors, IMO.

I bought a 2006 Wrangler new and soon sprayed the inside with Line-X. Was great, except putting the carpet back in on top of it wasnā€™t feasible since the guy sprayed the snaps. So, it was a loud ride.

Spray

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here is the ā€˜76 about six weeks ago. My dad quit using it in the 1990s (he had a Tahoe by then and wasnā€™t the Steve McQueen adventurer of his youth), and it was not driven often. I was an adult and lived away. My brother drove it some in the late ā€˜90s. Due to infrequent use, the tanks/lines were gummed up and it would choke out driving around. My brother and I did not have the funds nor the knowledge to get it right, but it was essentially mint until then (except the wheel well cutouts, flares, and tires, it was bone stock, as when bought new in Brookhaven, MS, and still is). In 2000 it had no dash cracks, perfect rubber floors, perfect vinyl seats. The top has never been off. No lift. Not long after purchase, he got the rear wells cut, added the flares, and replaced the four wheels and tires. That spare is the original wheel, hubcap, and even tire.

I still donā€™t have the finances to have both a daily driver and a money pit for fun on the side. So Iā€™m beyond excited about the 2021 Base I ordered as a daily driver and also weekend adventurer. However, this gives me the space now to begin slowly working on the Bronco. A much more mechanically inclined buddy has volunteered to help us get started getting it back running, across upcoming Sunday afternoons. Heā€™s a Toyota overland nut, but once he saw the Bronco in my momā€™s driveway he got fired up. There is something special about that pony. It has that effect on everyone. It symbolizes everything joyful.

I donā€™t remotely have funds to ā€œresto-modā€ it like a Jay Leno rig. Just want to get it cleaned up and driveable around town. Replace the flares and tires, brakes, possibly gas tanks, etc. Leave patina. Middle of hood and grill at front are dented in from a fallen tree. Will leave that as-is.

This vehicle is why I am so passionate about Broncos. It took us everywhere as kids. It has just never been practical to pour money into it. We lobbied dad to spend to get it going, but he said he didnā€™t understand why we wanted to drive a primitive, unsafe vehicle instead of modern tech. At the same time, he never got rid of it. He just moved it out of the garage. That Bronco is in some ways the spiritual epicenter of the family ethos. It is revered not just by us but all our buddies we grew up with. Dad passed four years ago.

The ONLY time it ever got stuck was in the late ā€˜80s when my parents and some friends were having drinks and Dad decided they should go four-wheeling in his ā€˜87 XLT about 10 p.m. near the big local lake. He got that one stuck badly in a mud hole. I guess he had his ā€œbag phoneā€ then, because he called a friend to pick him up to take him home to get the ā€˜76 to pull it out. Got that stuck, too. Had to get a wrecker, which I believe initially got stuck as well.

I want to get it running but donā€™t want to have to rely on it. And it would really be just for cruising, not off-roading at this point. Hence the new Bronco, which I also donā€™t have to share with my brother, and has a top thatā€™s easy to take in and off. At this point, it would be just wrong to remove the ā€˜76 top.

Maybe this is all part of why Iā€™m irked that after I dashed to reserve the new Base Bronco, I hear about line-cutters who didnā€™t care enough to sign up on day one, getting pushed up to get some silly-ass loaded luxury ā€œBronco.ā€ I felt my dad in the room with a bourbon in his hand, grinning and saying ā€œWatch thisā€ before traversing a steep slope, the night of 7/14 when I made the reservation and sent a screenshot of it to everyone in the family.

The Base is the PERFECT update of the classic. Spartan simplicity but also basic modern tech to make it the daily driver and highway-worthy.

B919AFF8-DD4E-4612-A9F4-03D12D47414D.jpeg
You said your from Brookhaven, Ms. Did you go to high school there? If so was Brock Pray your principle? He is my uncle! I have family property between McComb and Liberty. I happens to be on Pray Road. The familyā€™s been there for generations. I love it there! Going to be a full time resident in a couple years as my wife has finally agreed that South Florida is not what it was 40 years ago and is ready to get away from here.
Sponsored

Last edited: