First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, does anyone else feel that the sub signal is off? I'm not sure if it's over processed, severely limited in range, or if it's just mine but the subwoofer performance seems way under par. I kinda expected just the sub to be comparable to the factory Alpine sub in my '16 Ram 3500. It is bad enough I almost feel that it would be better without it. Anyone else have issues or praise for the sub? Maybe it's just mine, but I have no way to compare.
Sponsored

MyBHinds

First Edition
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So, does anyone else feel that the sub signal is off? I'm not sure if it's over processed, severely limited in range, or if it's just mine but the subwoofer performance seems way under par. I kinda expected just the sub to be comparable to the factory Alpine sub in my '16 Ram 3500. It is bad enough I almost feel that it would be better without it. Anyone else have issues or praise for the sub? Maybe it's just mine, but I have no way to compare.
Mine seems to do fine most of the time. I personally like more though. I am about to upgrade to a different sub next week. I took it into the audio shop I've used for years and let them take a look at it. He said it actually sounded really good overall and said they had done a good job with the staging and cutoffs. I tend to agree with him, I just prefer more bass that I can feel. I have the cargo enclosure on order, and thus just doing a standalone box that can be taken in and out as necessary but still secure under the enclosure.

OP
OP

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine seems to do fine most of the time. I personally like more though. I am about to upgrade to a different sub next week. I took it into the audio shop I've used for years and let them take a look at it. He said it actually sounded really good overall and said they had done a good job with the staging and cutoffs. I tend to agree with him, I just prefer more bass that I can feel. I have the cargo enclosure on order, and thus just doing a standalone box that can be taken in and out as necessary but still secure under the enclosure.
Interesting take and I appreciate your response. Given your opinion, I'm even more concerned that mine may not be quite right. For lack of being able to describe what I'm hearing, it sounds "flat" and is absent in recreating sounds below what I would consider a common tonal range that is still fairly high for a sub. Think "bass blocker" for anything that you might hear in rap music or even a lower kick drum...

MyBHinds

First Edition
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Interesting take and I appreciate your response. Given your opinion, I'm even more concerned that mine may not be quite right. For lack of being able to describe what I'm hearing, it sounds "flat" and is absent in recreating sounds below what I would consider a common tonal range that is still fairly high for a sub. Think "bass blocker" for anything that you might hear in rap music or even a lower kick drum...
Alan,

Here's a couple tracks to try that sound pretty solid on the B&O. I have the bass up about 3/4, High's just a little under 2/3, and everything is centered from front/back. Volume at 20-22. I listen to a bit of everything and these tend to be bass heavy running tracks.

You can't stop me - Andy Mineo
Boom - X Ambassadors
What's up Danger - Black Caviar remix - Blackway, Black Caviar (it's part of the spider man soundtrack
Get Low - Lil Jon & East Side Boyz

Or for real low try -
Bass Head - Bassnectar

If there's not a decent amount of sub hit on these tracks, then yes I'd say you have an issue with the sub.

OP
OP

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Alan,

Here's a couple tracks to try that sound pretty solid on the B&O. I have the bass up about 3/4, High's just a little under 2/3, and everything is centered from front/back. Volume at 20-22. I listen to a bit of everything and these tend to be bass heavy running tracks.

Boom - X Ambassadors
What's up Danger - Black Caviar remix - Blackway, Black Caviar (it's part of the spider man soundtrack

Or for real low try -
Bass Head - Bassnectar

If there's not a decent amount of sub hit on these tracks, then yes I'd say you have an issue with the sub.
It's very much appreciated, Bill. Great idea as well. Thanks for acting as my "bass"line! (Yeah, it's weak but I used it anyway) I'll check it out today using what you gave me.

Sponsored

KyleQ

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 Broncos!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Alan,

Boom - X Ambassadors

Or for real low try -
Bass Head - Bassnectar

Whoa, volume up in the 20's?!? It will handle that? I thought I was pushing it about 13-14 in the Bronco, similar in my B&O 19' F350 CCSB.

I've got some woofer rattle, but I'm curious on upgrading the factory subs in both vehicles - would adding some cotton batting help?

MyBHinds

First Edition
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Whoa, volume up in the 20's?!? It will handle that? I thought I was pushing it about 13-14 in the Bronco, similar in my B&O 19' F350 CCSB.

I've got some woofer rattle, but I'm curious on upgrading the factory subs in both vehicles - would adding some cotton batting help?
I love my music loud, and the B&O is very clear at those levels since they have the DSP controlling the frequencies. The batting will help some. For the Bronco, the offending rattle seems to be coming from just above and to the left of the sub. See pic. This piece pops out and just put anything in there that might absorb the plastic rattle. It helped substantially. Quick fix. The real issue is the use of the plastic fasteners do not have a tight grip on it and thus have some movement that allows for the vibrations and therefore leading to the rattles.

Sub rattle area.jpg

KyleQ

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 Broncos!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks, I'll have to give that a try after fixing the squeaks of the empty child booster seat. SO annoying!
Sponsored