First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ford knows we want race red and a base....So you'll have to go to a higher trim to get it. Rapid red will be an upcharge...It doesnt make sense until you realize that dollars are involved.
Sponsored

DC9atnight

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford knows we want race red and a base....So you'll have to go to a higher trim to get it. Rapid red will be an upcharge...It doesnt make sense until you realize that dollars are involved.
Agreed. Base steelies would be great with my build but Ford has me so I’ll go BD for the Marine Grade Vinyl and paint the steelies white, chrome dog bowl and then either paint the grill Race Red or White. And then of course white hard top by hook or crook. I think Race Red is a dead ringer for Poppy Red on the 67 (or was it 68?) Bronco!

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think race red with a painted black top will look pretty good on a 2 door Bronco.
Ford Bronco Race Red thread. 20200711_185628
Yuuuuuuuuuuup, Race Red Badlands with the Shadow Black roof is the current plan :) I'm thinking that the gloss roof is going to compliment the overall shape nicely, especially as the black(ish) plastics elsewhere will provide a texture variation for the eye to pick up.

Once colors were released for Bronco, Race Red was the #2 choice as Cactus Gray looked so wonderful when it was surf green hued. As that has now become the same color as the concrete on the street behind the Focus pictured above, Race Red is MOVING ON UP!

Full disclosure: When shopping the 2015 Mustang GT for pre-order, Race Red was the only color I was interested in, so I have some history with the color and appreciate its qualities as long as it has an ultra glossy and deep coat of wax on it. When it's dull from neglecting the surface coat, it looses a ton of character.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yuuuuuuuuuuup, Race Red Badlands with the Shadow Black roof is the current plan :) I'm thinking that the gloss roof is going to compliment the overall shape nicely, especially as the black(ish) plastics elsewhere will provide a texture variation for the eye to pick up.

Once colors were released for Bronco, Race Red was the #2 choice as Cactus Gray looked so wonderful when it was surf green hued. As that has now become the same color as the concrete on the street behind the Focus pictured above, Race Red is MOVING ON UP!

Full disclosure: When shopping the 2015 Mustang GT for pre-order, Race Red was the only color I was interested in, so I have some history with the color and appreciate its qualities as long as it has an ultra glossy and deep coat of wax on it. When it's dull from neglecting the surface coat, it looses a ton of character.
So would you characterize Race Red as "high maintenance"? Im not really a big fan of lots of waxing and paint maintenance. I actually like patina. If Race Red doesnt age well, and needs a good amount of upkeep, maybe its not the color for me.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So would you characterize Race Red as "high maintenance"? Im not really a big fan of lots of waxing and paint maintenance. I actually like patina. If Race Red doesnt age well, and needs a good amount of upkeep, maybe its not the color for me.
It's not high maintenance. It's pretty much the same as every other colored 2-stage modern paint.
I simply prefer the color when it has a high-gloss wax layer on top. Race Red is a "flat" color in that there isn't depth to it such as a metallic or 3-stage tri-coat. So when it isn't waxed, it has a much more uniform appearance without body lines and creases showing as well.

That being said, Bronco isn't exactly lighting the world on fire with style creases and go-fast surfaces. It has it's character and wears it well, but it doesn't pretend to be a svelte sports car.

Look at red cars around you which have been in the area for about 5 years, that will give you an idea of the type of fading you will get from the sun. Red tends to show sun fading quicker than other colors (I'm not sure why, chemistry isn't my thing), but the entire vehicle will be doing this at the same rate so it's not usually noticeable unless you have one of the red paints/clears which are notoriously poor at resisting environmental degradation (Honda, i'm looking at you! You haven't made a quality and durable red paint in over 30 years!)

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's not high maintenance. It's pretty much the same as every other colored 2-stage modern paint.
I simply prefer the color when it has a high-gloss wax layer on top. Race Red is a "flat" color in that there isn't depth to it such as a metallic or 3-stage tri-coat. So when it isn't waxed, it has a much more uniform appearance without body lines and creases showing as well.

That being said, Bronco isn't exactly lighting the world on fire with style creases and go-fast surfaces. It has it's character and wears it well, but it doesn't pretend to be a svelte sports car.

Look at red cars around you which have been in the area for about 5 years, that will give you an idea of the type of fading you will get from the sun. Red tends to show sun fading quicker than other colors (I'm not sure why, chemistry isn't my thing), but the entire vehicle will be doing this at the same rate so it's not usually noticeable unless you have one of the red paints/clears which are notoriously poor at resisting environmental degradation (Honda, i'm looking at you! You haven't made a quality and durable red paint in over 30 years!)

Red paint used to be "very, very" crappy and faded quickly. Any decent maintenance of Race Red will keep it as tempting as stripper lips for many years; I had mine over 5 years and just took it through a laser wash or some such and it held up beautifully. There are enough around that you can see ~10 year old Race Red vehicles in person near you...probably, but make sure you're not looking at a Torch Red aka Tomato Red, lol.

Edit: There is the unavoidable, but I couldn't find scientific data on it, theory that red fades faster because it absorbs the shorter wavelengths of light and that bleaches it faster.

Last edited:

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My company has had race red fords in our fleet. The color does not hold up well over the years. As a result, I have no interest in this color whatsoever for my Bronco.

Sponsored

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My company has had race red fords in our fleet. The color does not hold up well over the years. As a result, I have no interest in this color whatsoever for my Bronco.
You sure they were Race Red and not the Torch/Tomato Red Squatch mentioned?

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You sure they were Race Red and not the Torch/Tomato Red Squatch mentioned?
Just looked it up. You are right. It is actually Vermillion Red from 2011. Still, between this and my girlfriends red car fading overtime I am not a fan of red paints like this. Someone who works in the factories at Ford on BlueOvalForums is VERY passionate about their hate for Race Red.

I will say that when it is freshly washed this color looks incredible. I am just worried about longevity.

AaronTV

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Kia Stinger GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That Focus RS I posted has a ceramic coat on it. If you're willing to pay for some extra frills like that, I think it'll look great for years.

DC9atnight

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had the day off today and it was playtime at dealerships. Loved sitting in the Ranger as well! If the Bronco is similar we are in for a treat. This is coming from an owner of a 2011 Taco. Here are some race red pics. I think Rick’s plan of black accents will look amazing and I think white accents will look great too. It feels like a 60s or 70s color in person and coming from me that’s a complement!

B52B8FDE-88D1-43EA-8535-0A75E2FDEEBE.jpeg

1B6A9906-0E32-4394-9481-23BCB08EB80F.jpeg

80875A89-C8BD-4473-8BAE-5F1A9F50A9FA.jpeg

1E221C98-411E-4F40-9C1B-8022DE056C2E.jpeg

68607473-3F2D-4551-96D6-9F54B0371A98.jpeg