First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Backup Camera Relocation Question: Are there any extenders to raise the factory backup camera or aftermarket cameras that are relatively easy to install (close to plug and play with the Bronco electronics)? Or some other bike rack option I am missing that is suitable for mountain bikes (not looking for racks that hold the bike by the frame)?

My ideal setup would be a rack that doesn’t block the camera (or a camera relocation option), doesn’t block backup sensors, and allows opening the tailgate without having to swing the rack out -or- has a swing arm that is quick and easy to swing out of the way (ideally both). I travel with my dogs a lot and need a quicker & easier way to load them in the back and I also regularly have cargo blocking the rear window, and could use the help of the camera/sensors.

RockyMounts BackStage Bike Rack on 2023 2dr Badlands Sasquatch:
I already had a RockyMounts BackStage rack and have made it work while I consider better options. The setup I have is the rack plus a hitch extender that measures ~8” between each pinhole and two hitch stabilizers. Note: my RockyMount is at least 5 years old, unsure if there have been any improvements on its functionality since.

Pros:
  • The rack setup is solid; doesn’t rattle with or without bikes on it
  • Holds two mountain bikes with platform pedals without touching the spare
  • Swing arm allows for full access to the tailgate with the tray in the up or down position
  • Backup camera has some visibility and most of the backup sensors are functional (see pic)
Cons:
  • Cannot open the tailgate more than ~6” with the hitch tray flat. Must use the swing arm to access the back.
    • A hitch extender with a 4” drop did allow me to open the tailgate a little further, maybe a little more than a foot. I found I did not like how low the hitch swing arm sat with the 4” drop and didn’t want to have to remove the rack every time I wanted to go off road.
  • The swing arm release is not quick to use. You must unscrew a relatively long screw, release the pin, open, then angle the trays in a way that doesn’t hit the spare. Maybe I should try greasing mine, but it is currently a two arm operation to get it into a position I can open my tailgate. Closing the swing may also include messing with a min (depending on if you opened it fully) and then aligning the screw, screwing in and ensuring the other pin is engaged.
  • Backup camera is mostly blocked (see pic)
  • Rear passenger side backup sensor is blocked by the swing arm, resulting in a nonstop beep when backing up. The other sensors work and are audible when something is near.
  • Rack is not quick to remove. Requires a wrench to release the hitch stabilizer. The rack plus the extender is heavy and awkward to move..
  • No lock for bikes (I prefer carrying a sturdier lock than most racks offer)
Overall, the rack setup works well if you don’t regularly need access to the back and don’t mind loss of camera functionality.

IMG_6963.jpeg

IMG_6964.jpeg

IMG_6970.jpeg

IMG_6966.jpeg

IMG_6967.jpeg
Sponsored

CptSamFalcon

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr BD, 2021 Kawasaki KLX300
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Maybe not helpful to you at this point went with the RucRak to solve the mountain bike problem on my bronco. No impact on tailgate opening and camera can see ok (view is mostly bikes but still usable)

OP
OP
Bripi

Bripi

Badlands
First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe not helpful to you at this point went with the RucRak to solve the mountain bike problem on my bronco. No impact on tailgate opening and camera can see ok (view is mostly bikes but still usable)
I am looking to replace my old RockyMount with something better fit for the Bronco, however, I don’t think the RucRack would fit the bill for me. The bike rack add on doesn’t look like it would secure the bike as well as I’d like and it attaches to the bike frame. I have a carbon framed bike that would be more easily damaged if there’s any points that rattle/rub and I also wouldn’t want to damage the paint on my other bike.

CptSamFalcon

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr BD, 2021 Kawasaki KLX300
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am looking to replace my old RockyMount with something better fit for the Bronco, however, I don’t think the RucRack would fit the bill for me. The bike rack add on doesn’t look like it would secure the bike as well as I’d like and it attaches to the bike frame. I have a carbon framed bike that would be more easily damaged if there’s any points that rattle/rub and I also wouldn’t want to damage the paint on my other bike.
I do not have the bike kit and just secure the wheels to the rack using soft tie downs. But we prob have different requirements. Mine are downhill bikes and though I dont scratch them in transport I really can't see myself worrying about scratches.

I am going to try bolting on some fork mounts so it's super secure and much easier to use. I also dont like rucraks bike kit I dont think you need that big pole in the middle.

Last edited:

dangerfoot

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dangerfoot.com
Vehicle(s)
White Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Kuat swing away is a great product, and my NSR4 rack is thin enough the camera isn't really obstructed
Sponsored