MorgansRun

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 330e
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
From the title I thought this thread was going to be about the future of cell phone service.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lxatoledo

Lxatoledo

Wildtrak
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think he was talking about custom built 2.7/man/SAS that Ford says can't be done.
Yes sir. The components are there... We a need a freak or two to Frankenstein the thing together.

OP
OP
Lxatoledo

Lxatoledo

Wildtrak
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What Bronco do you have ordered? And how do you plan to use it? I assume you won't sell your EB.

What do you mean by the MT/SaS/2.7 comment? I don't get it. None of those three translate into a hardcore rock rig. Motor doesn't matter, and the 2.3 has plenty of power. SaS is the shocks, which would get changed out, and an auto is better for technical rock crawling. But you say that would be a great platform. Then you say later in the post that the Bronco just isn't going to run hard trails. I'm not sure what you're really saying? :unsure:

For me, I think a new Bronco will make a great daily driver and exploration rig. I use my rock buggy for rock crawling, don't need to scratch that itch with the Bronco, though when out and about I always get tempted to stick my nose down something more rocky and rough. Heck, I've done a couple black diamond trails in my unlocked XJ on 30's. Didn't really mean to, but we were already there. 😊
Sounds like we are super aligned. Essentially we plan the same thing for our new rigs. If I am out exploring and get into a "problem" I want something that will get me out, but not running technical trails with it...this fits the bill. Daily Driver for me. I'll use my EB rig for those. I agree, if a Samari can run huge tires....it is not size of engine, especially if geared right ...Yotes with Marlins do just fine. I personally agree with auto for rock crawling as that is what I run, but that deeeeep gearing is super attractive.

The 2.7 is just that I never want to be underpowered pulling grade or turning tires. Made the mistake in the past to be "practical". As you know with your buggy....folks are super innovative when building a trail capable rig. I am merely speaking to the future builds. I've seen videos, looked at the rig....fender flares are attached pretty hokie...which makes me wonder what others stuff is soon the break off. Stock, there is no flex...about 55 rock magnets to get hung up on underneath, a tank that is begging to get punctured and those tie rods are cheeeeeeesy. So as mentioned....very capable for 97% of the market. I spend a lot of time in Moab so maybe my bar is skewed.

Again...just excited to see the rich guys with know-how start building some crazy stuff.

Moab EJS 22

Last edited:

feeble

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1977 Cobra II Monroe Handler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the undercarriage and drivetrain are stripped out and replaced with aftermarket, it really isn't any different than an equivalent Jeep or other rig built completely from scratch. The body and badges are just the "clothes" that are worn. An extreme example of this is Bigfoot. Other than shape of the body and maybe engine (dunno, I haven't kept up), it really isn't a Ford.

BadBoyBroncoBilly

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E150 Adventure Van, Chevrolet Spark
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't know that LED's, rock rails and rough country skid plates qualify. I'm talking 3 or 4 link, hydro assist, 60's, 5.38's, shafts, body armor, heavy bumpers, coil overs, zero approach/departure. ...full mods.
383BADC5-B2C4-4647-A108-655E1DC9C524.jpeg

Sponsored

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If the undercarriage and drivetrain are stripped out and replaced with aftermarket, it really isn't any different than an equivalent Jeep or other rig built completely from scratch. The body and badges are just the "clothes" that are worn. An extreme example of this is Bigfoot. Other than shape of the body and maybe engine (dunno, I haven't kept up), it really isn't a Ford.
One of the most popular swaps is the Dana 60 and Sterling 10.5 out of a Superduty. Still Ford.(y):)

OP
OP
Lxatoledo

Lxatoledo

Wildtrak
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Translation: ‘I’ve never even driven a 6G Bronco off road but I’ve got this all figured out.’
You bring up a great point--
Translation: ‘I’ve never even driven a 6G Bronco off road but I’ve got this all figured out.’
You bring up a great point...should have qualified the statement.

After wheeling for 30 years, building/fabricating, wheeling different platforms, rolling with buddies who race Ultra4 and pit for baja1000 crews, live/run trails in the Rocky mountain, attend EJS annually and have followed a lot of YouTube reviews on this build specific to actual trail capabilities.

With hairy locations for the "off-rodeos" like, New Hampshire or Austin ..... I stand by my statement.

I haven't driven an M1 tank but I am extrapolating from experience that it probably isn't too sporty on Mountain roads.

Never said the thing was gonna run KOH stock....

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

One of the most popular swaps is the Dana 60 and Sterling 10.5 out of a Superduty. Still Ford.(y):)
You bring up a great point--

You bring up a great point...should have qualified the statement.

After wheeling for 30 years, building/fabricating, wheeling different platforms, rolling with buddies who race Ultra4 and pit for baja1000 crews, live/run trails in the Rocky mountain, attend EJS annually and have followed a lot of YouTube reviews on this build specific to actual trail capabilities.

With hairy locations for the "off-rodeos" like, New Hampshire or Austin ..... I stand by my statement.

I haven't driven an M1 tank but I am extrapolating from experience that it probably isn't too sporty on Mountain roads.

Never said the thing was gonna run KOH stock....

Any vehicle like this with two lockers and 35's is pretty damn capable, regardless of what's above it. I've never been an advocate of the full bodied Jeep on 40's, and so many friends who have done it end up just wishing they had a buggy and left the Jeep for good driving trail rig. You really can't use the 40's, won't/can't take a full bodied rig where you'd need them anyway, 37's would work and drive better and be more reliable. And, can't stay with the buggies because of full body and non-sticky tires. So, really, 40's on a full body are kind of pointless. We'll see how the Bronco front axles and steering hold up to 37's, seeing a bit of steering issues already. Axles are supposed to be the same as on an F150 Raptor, so they may be OK. Though I see there is already an upgrade option in the factory accessory catalog.

It's new, and we'll see plenty of different stuff, some of it will be good and some of it will be dumb. Thing is, we'll mostly have to see in person. No one ever on the internet installed a part or did a modification and then came online and admitted it sucked. 😁 :ROFLMAO:

I think many of us aren't going to be able to resist pushing the limits when we actually get out there. And, like someone above said, it will be just like with Jeeps, SOOO many folks think they won't do much wheeling and then they get exposed and get the bug and dive in. It's going to be interesting to watch.

BTW, I'd love to drive the Ultra4 4600 class Bronco with the 74 Weld portals on the front IFS. Slick. We'll see how they do at KOH next year, should be dominant. Have to see how much body damage, and what parts end up breaking. I'll get a good look at it when they come through tech.

OP
OP
Lxatoledo

Lxatoledo

Wildtrak
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Any vehicle like this with two lockers and 35's is pretty damn capable, regardless of what's above it. I've never been an advocate of the full bodied Jeep on 40's, and so many friends who have done it end up just wishing they had a buggy and left the Jeep for good driving trail rig. You really can't use the 40's, won't/can't take a full bodied rig where you'd need them anyway, 37's would work and drive better and be more reliable. And, can't stay with the buggies because of full body and non-sticky tires. So, really, 40's on a full body are kind of pointless. We'll see how the Bronco front axles and steering hold up to 37's, seeing a bit of steering issues already. Axles are supposed to be the same as on an F150 Raptor, so they may be OK. Though I see there is already an upgrade option in the factory accessory catalog.

It's new, and we'll see plenty of different stuff, some of it will be good and some of it will be dumb. Thing is, we'll mostly have to see in person. No one ever on the internet installed a part or did a modification and then came online and admitted it sucked. 😁 :ROFLMAO:

I think many of us aren't going to be able to resist pushing the limits when we actually get out there. And, like someone above said, it will be just like with Jeeps, SOOO many folks think they won't do much wheeling and then they get exposed and get the bug and dive in. It's going to be interesting to watch.

BTW, I'd love to drive the Ultra4 4600 class Bronco with the 74 Weld portals on the front IFS. Slick. We'll see how they do at KOH next year, should be dominant. Have to see how much body damage, and what parts end up breaking. I'll get a good look at it when they come through tech.
Totally Agree. Glad we are here having this discussion vs. speculating about if/when a concept vehicle moving to production. It's been a long wait!

And it's definitely NOT a Bronco II. My hard core Jeep friends have a lot of respect for this Bronco

The Broncos did great at 2021 KOH. Check em out on YouTube for rewatch.. ran out of gas. It was sad, yet entertaining to watch.

Sponsored

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The Broncos did great at 2021 KOH. Check em out on YouTube for rewatch.. ran out of gas. It was sad, yet entertaining to watch.
Actually, there were no real Broncos at KOH this year. Jason, Loren, and Vaughn had Bronco skins on their previous cars, all three unlimited 4400 class IFS cars. The actual Broncos to run 4600 class didn't get ready in time, so they just had one for display but it didn't race. I think the 4600 Bronco's first race was San Felipe, don't remember how it finished. I think three 4600 Broncos were built, memory is foggy. I think only one ran San Felipe, and I don't know if any will run Nationals later this month. I'm hoping a couple aren't tech inspected and chassis banded yet, I do that at KOH so I'll get to really go over them. Either way, I'll do contingency tech on them all so will still get a good look.

Yeah, Jason Scherer running out of gas while in the lead was a bummer. Evidently it didn't get a full fill up like they thought it did at the previous pit stop. I work all week at KOH doing tech and morning line up, but once the 4400 cars are off the line on Fri morning I'm free to watch the race. Well, we check the first three finishers for tire balls at the end, but that's it.

I still hang out with a bunch of 4600 guys, and the Broncos will be a big topic of conversation. Would be fun to be racing against them.....or driving. 😊 😊

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Totally Agree. Glad we are here having this discussion vs. speculating about if/when a concept vehicle moving to production. It's been a long wait!

And it's definitely NOT a Bronco II. My hard core Jeep friends have a lot of respect for this Bronco
Yep. I'm kind of late to the party, just got involved and decided to order a Bronco a couple months ago. It's cool that the Jeep guys like the Bronco. Part of why I want one is the history, which makes it cool. And, I'm actually more of a Ford guy than a Jeep guy. All of my Jeeps have been XJ's and MJ's. Never could get myself to buy or drive a Wrangler.

Again, I wonder how much I'll be tempted when out with my Jeep friends to see/show what the Bronco can do. You know....."Hold my beer, watch this". Or, as one of my friends says about me....."Hold my Ensure, watch this!" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Ford Bronco Reality on 6G 20130928_101245
Ford Bronco Reality on 6G 20130929_075852

OP
OP
Lxatoledo

Lxatoledo

Wildtrak
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yep. I'm kind of late to the party, just got involved and decided to order a Bronco a couple months ago. It's cool that the Jeep guys like the Bronco. Part of why I want one is the history, which makes it cool. And, I'm actually more of a Ford guy than a Jeep guy. All of my Jeeps have been XJ's and MJ's. Never could get myself to buy or drive a Wrangler.

Again, I wonder how much I'll be tempted when out with my Jeep friends to see/show what the Bronco can do. You know....."Hold my beer, watch this". Or, as one of my friends says about me....."Hold my Ensure, watch this!" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Very cool

Ricks73eb

First Edition
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 bronco, 77f100, 90 mustang, 05 f150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
When it is all said and done, from what I have been able to research--the Bronco w/ MT/SaS/2.7 is a great platform to go nuts with and build a super capable rock crawler (recent tie rod post are a bit concerning)---but for the average knucklehead who is going to go through a puddle, lock in for an occasional snow flurry, and use 4x4 because they got stuck making a bad decision or wrong turn, ----the rig is going to be just fine. I looked at the rig, and it is just not going to run hard trails w/o issues. I'll jump into my crawler for that, and honestly, don't want to horse whip a new, nice ride. I look forward to 10 years down the road where the maniacs and pathfinders, trick these things out. They are going to be sick.

10151452859810191.jpg
Thats awesome! back in the day I had a 73 bronco my buddy had a 60s jeep and my other buddy had a 70s bruiser it was good times.
Now my 77 sits broken and beaten.. 😔

OP
OP
Lxatoledo

Lxatoledo

Wildtrak
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Actually, there were no real Broncos at KOH this year. Jason, Loren, and Vaughn had Bronco skins on their previous cars, all three unlimited 4400 class IFS cars. The actual Broncos to run 4600 class didn't get ready in time, so they just had one for display but it didn't race. I think the 4600 Bronco's first race was San Felipe, don't remember how it finished. I think three 4600 Broncos were built, memory is foggy. I think only one ran San Felipe, and I don't know if any will run Nationals later this month. I'm hoping a couple aren't tech inspected and chassis banded yet, I do that at KOH so I'll get to really go over them. Either way, I'll do contingency tech on them all so will still get a good look.

Yeah, Jason Scherer running out of gas while in the lead was a bummer. Evidently it didn't get a full fill up like they thought it did at the previous pit stop. I work all week at KOH doing tech and morning line up, but once the 4400 cars are off the line on Fri morning I'm free to watch the race. Well, we check the first three finishers for tire balls at the end, but that's it.

I still hang out with a bunch of 4600 guys, and the Broncos will be a big topic of conversation. Would be fun to be racing against them.....or driving. 😊 😊
If you need help at KOH sign me up. My boys run but I don't want to just sit around waiting to wrench on stuff. Patrick Petersen BadAxe Productions. Would make it worth while. Baja was/is a grinder time and logistically but Johnson Valley is a bit more accessible.
Sponsored