First Name
Elizabeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Audi Q7, 13 Mini Countryman
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hi! I understand the function but don’t want visible holes on the side of my bronco with any of the step options offered through Ford currently. The rock rails hide the holes which I like but I’m short and I need a step to get in. Does anyone have recommendations for steps that will have a rock rail like piece that covers the holes?
Ford Bronco Rock Rails & Steps IMG_0925
Sponsored

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rumbloki

Badlands
First Name
Alton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2, 1973 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you don't do any serious rock crawling the factor "Removable Hoop Steps" should work for you. The steps unbolt for clearance, but the remaining rail is not designed to take a hit. Finding a pair in the classifieds is your least expensive solution.
Ford Bronco Rock Rails & Steps 20230820_102414-50

OP
OP
EBRU2024

EBRU2024

Wildtrak
First Name
Elizabeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Doc TOC

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition Max, Fusion Hybrid, HD Road King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What can you afford?
How do you want it to look?
Are you an off roader or overlander or mall crawler or or or?
Appearance or function? Rugged or boojiey?
Do you know the difference between a wrench and pliers?

The solutions range from just seam covers (IAG Off Road $100) to integrated, automated steps on a rock slider (Rock Slide Engineering $2,400) and a lot more in between and more so ($$$$).

And who is installing it (dealer, you, shop, family member) ? That's at least a few beers more.

Use this site's search function and the "Similar Threads" section (below) to see what other members have done. That should get you headed in the right direction. Have you done any google searches yet? That will help you narrow down what you like or don't like.

Then certainly come back and get some member input on their experience to see if a product meets your needs and wants.

Happy shopping.

Sponsored
OP
OP
EBRU2024

EBRU2024

Wildtrak
First Name
Elizabeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If you don't do any serious rock crawling the factor "Removable Hoop Steps" should work for you. The steps unbolt for clearance, but the remaining rail is not designed to take a hit. Finding a pair in the classifieds is your least expensive solution.
They didn’t have any tube steps on the lot fit me to see… looks like they hide/cover the holes?

Rumbloki

Badlands
First Name
Alton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2, 1973 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They didn’t have any tube steps on the lot fit me to see… looks like they hide/cover the holes?
They do and they don't flex when I bounce 250lbs on them.
I switched mine out with frame mounted sliders due to the rocks in my area. I got them because I bought from dealer stock.

OP
OP
EBRU2024

EBRU2024

Wildtrak
First Name
Elizabeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What can you afford?
How do you want it to look?
Are you an off roader or overlander or mall crawler or or or?
Appearance or function? Rugged or boojiey?
Do you know the difference between a wrench and pliers?

The solutions range from just seam covers (IAG Off Road $100) to integrated, automated steps on a rock slider (Rock Slide Engineering $2,400) and a lot more in between and more so ($$$$).

And who is installing it (dealer, you, shop, family member) ? That's at least a few beers more.

Use this site's search function and the "Similar Threads" section (below) to see what other members have done. That should get you headed in the right direction. Have you done any google searches yet? That will help you narrow down what you like or don't like.

Then certainly come back and get some member input on their experience to see if a product meets your needs and wants.

Happy shopping.
I’m a mom of a two year old so more like a grocery store and toddler schedule crawler. I will not go off-road but live in a mountain area that has had crazy storms this year causing rock and mud slides so the off road capabilities may prove handy! I’m in the process of deciding the configuration of a Wildtrak which I test drove yesterday against an outer banks- I liked the drive better and the look. I’m going to customize it though and having the hard top painted to match the white body, the front bumper mirrors door handles and fenders body matched too. I’m debating adding the ram hood. It would be professionally installed- I don’t have a “budget” per se just gathering information while I’m in the configuration stage right now.

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hi! I understand the function but don’t want visible holes on the side of my bronco with any of the step options offered through Ford currently. The rock rails hide the holes which I like but I’m short and I need a step to get in. Does anyone have recommendations for steps that will have a rock rail like piece that covers the holes?
If I'm not mistaken, you're referring to the pinch welds below the door. Ford, as well as after market companies make a pinch weld cover. I have the Ford OEM. I have the OEM running board. When I picked it up, it showed the pinch welds. Once I had the cover installed, it looked much cleaner.

Before:
Ford Bronco Rock Rails & Steps mybronco5

After:
Ford Bronco Rock Rails & Steps 20220209_091803

OP
OP
EBRU2024

EBRU2024

Wildtrak
First Name
Elizabeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
They do and they don't flex when I bounce 250lbs on them.
I switched mine out with frame mounted sliders due to the rocks in my area. I got them because I bought from dealer stock.
Awesome great information add
If I'm not mistaken, you're referring to the pinch welds below the door. Ford, as well as after market companies make a pinch weld cover. I have the Ford OEM. I have the OEM running board. When I picked it up, it showed the pinch welds. Once I had the cover installed, it looked much cleaner.

Before:

After:
exactly what I was referring to! This is amazing information now I know the right terminology and the solution! Thank you!

Sponsored

Doc TOC

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition Max, Fusion Hybrid, HD Road King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Presume you are looking at a 4-door for the 2nd row car seat for the next 5+ years.

Knowing you will be in and out of that 2nd row a lot, I suggest getting a full length rail instead of steps. Many times it will be you and your toddler on the rail behind that 2nd door. You will be glad for the extra space length. IMO you may be disappointed by a drop step.

And the Wildtrak is taller than an Outer Banks. So, if a Wildtrak is your choice, look for a rail with some drop-down, or the Rock Slide Engineering rock rail. Your toddler will need that lower step as much as you will.

I don't know what your dealer custom shop has on display. Take a trip to a local 4x4 shop (doesn't matter if they're a Jeeper). They probably have several options you can visually see what it would look like on your Bronco.

Dreamer

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are steps/stirrups that can hang on and attached to the factory rock rails. I ended up going with the Rockslide Engineering power step rails. They are spendy but worth it in my opinion.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/side-steps-for-oem-rock-rails.69743/

https://rockslideengineering.com/product/bronco-4-door-step-slider-2-box-set/
I may not be correct, but what I think you’re saying is you don’t want the pinch weld holes to show with the side steps that Ford offers. You can always can get a pair of pinch weld covers that cover the holes. They are reasonably affordable from various sources.

OP
OP
EBRU2024

EBRU2024

Wildtrak
First Name
Elizabeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Presume you are looking at a 4-door for the 2nd row car seat for the next 5+ years.

Knowing you will be in and out of that 2nd row a lot, I suggest getting a full length rail instead of steps. Many times it will be you and your toddler on the rail behind that 2nd door. You will be glad for the extra space length. IMO you may be disappointed by a drop step.

And the Wildtrak is taller than an Outer Banks. So, if a Wildtrak is your choice, look for a rail with some drop-down, or the Rock Slide Engineering rock rail. Your toddler will need that lower step as much as you will.

I don't know what your dealer custom shop has on display. Take a trip to a local 4x4 shop (doesn't matter if they're a Jeeper). They probably have several options you can visually see what it would look like on your Bronco.
thanks for the advice- it’s helpful and now I know about pinch weld covers so I think that expands my options!

OP
OP
EBRU2024

EBRU2024

Wildtrak
First Name
Elizabeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I may not be correct, but what I think you’re saying is you don’t want the pinch weld holes to show with the side steps that Ford offers. You can always can get a pair of pinch weld covers that cover the holes. They are reasonably affordable from various sources.
Exactly and because of this tread I learned something new today. Thank you!!

Dreamer

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Exactly and because of this tread I learned something new today. Thank you!!
I feel the same way. I don’t like the way the holes look either. Good luck.
Sponsored