First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am installing a Hella slim light 40” light bar using the accessory ready mounting points with factory aux switches. Power is run to the light however, I do not see a good ground point near where the power wire is behind the passenger visor. Why does Ford not place a ground point in this area? Wouldn’t that seem to be a necessary part?

I am hoping to avoid running the ground wire into the engine bay or down behind the glove box. Any suggestions? I have seen someone use the accessory ready bolt on the roof as the ground but the ground is exposed to the elements. I cannot place the painted cover back on as the bolts are a little too short. Trimming the black plastic that the cover snaps to does not work either.

I have watched numerous YouTube videos and they all tear up the weatherstripping or interior panels to ground.

Does anybody know of a manufacturer making a roof light bar bracket that allows the painted accessory ready cover to be placed back on? I purchased the Hooke road brackets.

Thank you for any assistance!
Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am installing a Hella slim light 40” light bar using the accessory ready mounting points with factory aux switches. Power is run to the light however, I do not see a good ground point near where the power wire is behind the passenger visor. Why does Ford not place a ground point in this area? Wouldn’t that seem to be a necessary part?

I am hoping to avoid running the ground wire into the engine bay or down behind the glove box. Any suggestions? I have seen someone use the accessory ready bolt on the roof as the ground but the ground is exposed to the elements. I cannot place the painted cover back on as the bolts are a little too short. Trimming the black plastic that the cover snaps to does not work either.

I have watched numerous YouTube videos and they all tear up the weatherstripping or interior panels to ground.

Does anybody know of a manufacturer making a roof light bar bracket that allows the painted accessory ready cover to be placed back on? I purchased the Hooke road brackets.

Thank you for any assistance!
DO NOT use that wire to power your light bar. It's EXTREMELY undersized. I don't even know why Ford put that there. It's so small.

You need to run 2 power wires up there. 1 for power, 1 for ground.

OP
OP
K6V7N

K6V7N

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
DO NOT use that wire to power your light bar. It's EXTREMELY undersized. I don't even know why Ford put that there. It's so small.

So run the 6ft of wire from the light bar into the engine bay… find a ground… and then purchase wiring/ harness to connect to the powered aux wire?

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are a couple grounding points just behind the passenger curtain airbag cover. Pop that off and you should see a couple bolts you can tie into there.

Ford Bronco Roof light bar ground IMG_1256

OP
OP
K6V7N

K6V7N

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There are a couple grounding points just behind the passenger curtain airbag cover. Pop that off and you should see a couple bolts you can tie into there.

Ford Bronco Roof light bar ground IMG_1256
Thank you for that.
So now just buy a thicker gauge wire to run to the powered aux wire?

Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So run the 6ft of wire from the light bar into the engine bay… find a ground… and then purchase wiring/ harness to connect to the powered aux wire?
You have upfitters, right? If so your light bar can most likely be powered from the upfitter switches. You don't need a relay.

You need to extend the wires to your upfitters in the engine bay. DO NOT Use the pass-through wire ford left you at the top. It's way too small.

I usually run my ground inside the engine bay since that's where im running my power lines to anyway

OP
OP
K6V7N

K6V7N

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You have upfitters, right? If so your light bar can most likely be powered from the upfitter switches. You don't need a relay.

You need to extend the wires to your upfitters in the engine bay. DO NOT Use the pass-through wire ford left you at the top. It's way too small.

I usually run my ground inside the engine bay since that's where im running my power lines to anyway
Thank u. What gauge wire should I use?

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thank u. What gauge wire should I use?
Whatever works for your light bar. I can't tell you that since I didn't sell you the light bar and don't know what light bar you are using or the specs on it. You have to match the wire guage to the specs on your light bar and the length of the run.

OP
OP
K6V7N

K6V7N

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Whatever works for your light bar. I can't tell you that since I didn't sell you the light bar and don't know what light bar you are using or the specs on it. You have to match the wire guage to the specs on your light bar and the length of the run.
I appreciate the help. Like many I am fairly ignorant but did take ur advice and ran it all into the engine bay. Just have to get the 2-3 feet of wire and run it to the powered wire.

IMG_8458.jpeg

IMG_8462.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
K6V7N

K6V7N

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
And this too. So says consumption is 14.9A but the ohms calculator shows 17.5A. Connect to the 30A or 15A circuit?

IMG_8463.png

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It needs a 20 amp or more upfitter. I believe #1 is rated for 30 amps.

As for wire gauge... 14 gauge wire will be sufficient for a 15 amp light bar. You don't need a fuse as the upfitters are already fused. However if you are confused by any of this please have a professional install/wire it up so that it's done correctly.

We use KC Wire Hider on our installs to hide the wire

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/kc-hilites-universal-wire-hider/

See the side of the driver side window how we hide the wire.

Ford Bronco Roof light bar ground Photo Dec 19 2023, 11 57 54 AM

OP
OP
K6V7N

K6V7N

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I did the pillar pod lights a while back and no issues. Just finished wiring everything up and so far works 😁. Bought 12 gauge wire and went to #1 30A.

I’ll take some pics and explain later.

Thank u for getting back to and answering my questions
Sponsored