First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 / 4D ā€˜23 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I ordered and installed the plugnplay wiring kit with the Kicker Key 200 amp several months ago. Like many, I mounted the amp on the plate under the steering column. When I went to make an amp adjustment today, I noticed quite a bit of rust on the plate and associated steel supports. Any one else had this issue? Is it from the heat? Is there some kind of galvanic reaction going on?

Appreciate any thoughts. Top hasnā€™t been off so itā€™s not from moisture or anything like that.

When installed
Ford Bronco Rust from Kicker Key 200? 57581520-D528-4BEA-A051-36C32DD53E3C

Today
Ford Bronco Rust from Kicker Key 200? BCF94C57-5A91-4C21-BECD-F4C27C940DB6
Sponsored

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's not from the amp, it's from handling the bracket. There is very little corrosion protection on any of the metal under the dash (pretty much bare metal) then when you handle the bracket it exposes it to the salts in your sweat and such causing the surface rust. If you are worried about it, you could wipe it down with some oil or paint it but it won't really get any worse, if you look at the metal under the dash on pretty much any car more than a couple of years old it will be like that.

Deleted member 32220

I ordered and installed the plugnplay wiring kit with the Kicker Key 200 amp several months ago. Like many, I mounted the amp on the plate under the steering column. When I went to make an amp adjustment today, I noticed quite a bit of rust on the plate and associated steel supports. Any one else had this issue? Is it from the heat? Is there some kind of galvanic reaction going on?

Appreciate any thoughts. Top hasnā€™t been off so itā€™s not from moisture or anything like that.

When installed

Today
How far from the coast are you? Salt air?ā€¦Ford is stingy on the paintā€¦no love for the driveshaft or half shafts either. Not hating on Ford, but jeep paints their driveshaft and the front axle housing conceals the axles up to the seals. Itā€™s funny the shit you notice when youā€™re nit picking each has itā€™s strengths and Weaknesses.

OP
OP
TXBronco72

TXBronco72

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 / 4D ā€˜23 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It's not from the amp, it's from handling the bracket. There is very little corrosion protection on any of the metal under the dash (pretty much bare metal) then when you handle the bracket it exposes it to the salts in your sweat and such causing the surface rust. If you are worried about it, you could wipe it down with some oil or paint it but it won't really get any worse, if you look at the metal under the dash on pretty much any car more than a couple of years old it will be like that.
[/QUOTE
Thanks for the info and advice. Iā€™m not too concerned if it doesnā€™t continue to get worse. I planned to check it again in a couple of weeks now that I have a comparison photo.

OP
OP
TXBronco72

TXBronco72

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 / 4D ā€˜23 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How far from the coast are you? Salt air?ā€¦Ford is stingy on the paintā€¦no love for the driveshaft or half shafts either. Not hating on Ford, but jeep paints their driveshaft and the front axle housing conceals the axles up to the seals. Itā€™s funny the shit you notice when youā€™re nit picking each has itā€™s strengths and Weaknesses.
About 30 minutes north of Houston.

Sponsored

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This. I noticed rust on all my metal supports when I installed the amp.

Duke460

Outer Banks
First Name
Earle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The plate is bare metal with an oil rust preventative. Assume you wiped the plate off when installing the amp. paint it if it bothers you.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Wipe a little fluid film on it. Wonā€™t be an issue either way.
Sponsored