Sponsored

Rust inside Steering Rack ball screw rust……

Earlybroncoboy

Badlands
First Name
Wagner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22Bronco,76bronco,73bronco,06F250,96F250,97F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anyone else ran into this maybe while doing so steering rack mods? I’ve noticed my bronco has been stiffer to steer than my previous 2 6th gens. Decided to pull a bellow and look inside. Looks to me like it was corroded when they assembled the rack. You can see where the balls rotated over the rust out at the section that never makes contact to the rack once it’s together. And no the bronco has never seen water.

IMG_6777.jpeg

IMG_6776.jpeg

IMG_6775.jpeg
Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That part of the shaft doesn't touch the internal assist pulley. Doesn't hurt anything by having rust on the valleys. The outer metal touches the passenger bushing and there is a lot of grease. You should have stuck some rough country bushings while you where in there!

Most likely something else is the problem.

OP
OP
Earlybroncoboy

Earlybroncoboy

Badlands
First Name
Wagner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That part of the shaft doesn't touch the internal assist pulley. Doesn't hurt anything by having rust on the valleys. The outer metal touches the passenger bushing and there is a lot of grease. You should have stuck some rough country bushings while you where in there!

Most likely something else is the problem.
Yes the section pictured does not touch the assist pulley. But it does appears it was assembled with the rust there. Makes me wonder if the entire ball screw portion was rusted when they assembled it. Rust and liner ball screw is not a great thing. The bearings would be riding on the pitting left behind by the corrosion.

I know! I do have a set of the bushings but I’ll wait until I feel the steering is 100% before I install them incase the rack needs replaced.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

More like the piting will slowly eat the plastic drive gear.

I would file a warranty claim, best to at least document the issue. Is this bronco drastically different from your other broncos? Like going from non SAS to SAS?

OP
OP
Earlybroncoboy

Earlybroncoboy

Badlands
First Name
Wagner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

More like the piting will slowly eat the plastic drive gear.

I would file a warranty claim, best to at least document the issue. Is this bronco drastically different from your other broncos? Like going from non SAS to SAS?

So you don’t suppose it has the recirculating ball bearings inside the plastic gear? I’d be surprised if it didn’t but I haven’t had a bronco rack apart either.

I had a 22 base did a 2” and 35s then went to a 22 sas black diamond, thought I was gonna keep that one but shortly after ford decided to build my order. Running the same wheel n tire setup as what was on that one on my 23 sas badlands. The minor correction at highway speeds bothers me the most. It strains my forearms to the point I was checked out to see if I had anything else going on medically. The more I drive it the less it bothers me. Either whatever it is is wearing in or I’m growing used to it. Bronco has just under 3000 miles on er now
Sponsored