Kach Vartan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™m going to Pismo next month mainly for beach camping but will definitely hit the off-road area. I am new to all this wheeling stuff so apologies for the novice questions:

1. What would you say is bare minimum recovery gear I need to take with me? I have Rhino USA tow shackles and 4-inch tow strap. Do you recommend a kinetic rope too? Traction boards?

2. Where do I pick up one of those flags and do I need anything fancy to attach it to my vehicle?

3. Is it a bad idea to go with the roof fully removed? Figured it would be fun on beach, but no idea how much sand will be kicked up into the cabin?

My buddy will be there with his modded Wrangler, so wonā€™t be alone.

RaceRed66Retro

Banned
Heritage
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F350 6.7 4WD CREW CAB LARIAT
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
damn, they're closing? do you know why?

if that's true, definitely more of an incentive to head out soon
Famous words by Ronald Reagan:
ā€œThe nine most terrifying words in the English language are ā€˜Iā€™m from the government and Iā€™m here to help."

Last edited:
OP
OP
pakrat

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™m going to Pismo next month mainly for beach camping but will definitely hit the off-road area. I am new to all this wheeling stuff so apologies for the novice questions:

1. What would you say is bare minimum recovery gear I need to take with me? I have Rhino USA tow shackles and 4-inch tow strap. Do you recommend a kinetic rope too? Traction boards?

2. Where do I pick up one of those flags and do I need anything fancy to attach it to my vehicle?

3. Is it a bad idea to go with the roof fully removed? Figured it would be fun on beach, but no idea how much sand will be kicked up into the cabin?

My buddy will be there with his modded Wrangler, so wonā€™t be alone.
You will definitely get sand in the cabin if you are having a good time in the dunes. Nothing terrible but it will happen. It is very dry sand especially if you go when the fog burns out. Easily vacuums out or is blown out out is compressed air.

They sell flags on the beach from a trailer at the entrance to the dune area. $15 and he will give you some zip ties to attach to your spare tire. You can't miss it. Easy. You only need a flag in the actual dunes, not the beach.

As far as he tow strap goes, if you plan to start doing some moderate off-roading then a kinetic or "snatch" strap is better and a wise investment. In sand you don't want to start towing from a standstill especially if you have to do it uphill like I did. You will simply bury yourself if you are not moving forward when towing someone out in sand. Not enough traction to start towing from a standstill. You can "snatch" with a tow strap but since the tow strap has no give, it jerks rather violently when you are moving forward and the weight of the other vehicle hits it. Also, tow straps tend to snap under sudden load.

Keep your tire pressure low, start moving slow and smoothly increase throttle, and don't stop on steep uphills and you won't get stuck in the first place. Have fun!

MyDogGoldie

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7L BD 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How much fun can I have in Pismo without ruining my beautiful new Bronco?

Sponsored
OP
OP
pakrat

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How much fun can I have in Pismo without ruining my beautiful new Bronco?
Whatever you can stomach. I didn't catch much air but sure as heck drove fast, carved turns in the banks, raced side by sides, whatever. Just watch where you are going and don't blindly drive off a dune you can't see the bottom of. The most damage will come if you drive in the wet/salty sand at the waters edge. Drive slow above the high tide line and you are golden. Wash the Bronco and the undercarriage and you won't know the difference.

EZ$

Wildtrak
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack, 2020 F450, 1943 White Halftrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We raised our family near the dunes and had many great weekends on the beach. Haven't taken the new Bronco out there yet but look forward to it.

We are a "Bronco Family" with two of my son's each owning one along with my wife.

Maybe we will see you guys out there someday...
20230410_102258.jpg
20230201_114923.jpg
20220221_151349.jpg

SoCalBroncoMan7

Heritage
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Is there a place to get into the dance without having to do the salt water river crossing?

jrandy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Been going to Pismo all my life and have been following the closure closely. I'm glad that they finally gained some traction for keeping it open.
Sponsored