First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Finally got a chance to take the Bronco into the dunes and deep sand. My buddy in his F150 Raptor went off a dune and got wedged pretty bad with a steep uphill one way and the dune he went off wedging him in from the rear. He was stuck bad. The Bronco had no issues yanking him out going uphill (no other options). Two quick yanks and he was out. I have some experience in the sand but not with the Bronco and I was sure impressed. Honestly, unless you are in a sand-rail or side by side with paddle tires you can't do much better than the bronco. I never even once felt like traction or floatation was an issue even on some seriously steep dunes.

My best tip is it's better to not get stuck in the first place than having to get unstuck. Do this by going as low on the tire pressure as you feel comfortable. I was at 16 psi but had I felt the need I would have gone as low as 12. My friend in the Raptor was at 20 psi with the same tire size (35's) and had he been lower to begin with may have powered out of his predicament. Also, carry a kinetic rope for yanking people out or even to get yourself pulled out if needed. Traction boards can come in handy also. I usually set-up my Bronco manually and not with goat modes. 4H/rear lockers engaged/traction control off was the best. Just to see how it helped I used the sand goat mode and even baja mode. I really didn't need the high shift points and revving that those modes lock in but if you are new to sand they can help. Only complaint or rather observation is that in the steep dunes it is hard to see over the hood at what is in front of you. Camera helps but the flat color of continuous sand makes depth perception difficult with the camera especially at speed.

FYI - the Pismo/Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreation Area (SVRA) is closing next year. If you live close enough to go I highly encourage you to take the Bronco out there and have a blast. It's only $5 for day access and you can camp on the beach if you like.

Ford Bronco Saved a Raptor this weekend at Oceano/Pismo Dunes IMG_7032

Sponsored

MNSnowGoer

Black Diamond
First Name
Monty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2 Dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That looks like a ton of fun! I used to go to Glamis as a kid but am in MN now, so the options are limited.

slews

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco; Prius for the really gnarly stuff
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't have a ton of experience with sand but 20 psi seems way too high for any substantial sand wheeling.

dametime

Black Diamond
First Name
drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

damn, they're closing? do you know why?

if that's true, definitely more of an incentive to head out soon

Sponsored

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FYI - the Pismo/Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreation Area (SVRA) is closing next year. If you live close enough to go I highly encourage you to take the Bronco out there and have a blast. It's only $5 for day access and you can camp on the beach if you like.
damn, they're closing? do you know why?

if that's true, definitely more of an incentive to head out soon
No longer true: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/s...ding-can-continue-at-oceano-dunes/ar-AA1e5Yv7

OP
OP
pakrat

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Awesome news guys. Txs for the updates. People who were out there are still saying they are closing. Should have asked the ranger at kiosk.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Awesome news guys. Txs for the updates. People who were out there are still saying they are closing. Should have asked the ranger at kiosk.
Don't correct them and you'll have more space to yourself when fewer people are coming! 💀

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't have a ton of experience with sand but 20 psi seems way too high for any substantial sand wheeling.
18psi is fine for me in NJ. This looks extremely soft though…

Sponsored

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco Saved a Raptor this weekend at Oceano/Pismo Dunes bugspismo

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for the heads-up on the closure. Have not been there in 15 years will definitely go as the end is near very sad. 5.3 Ltd V8 H3.
Ford Bronco Saved a Raptor this weekend at Oceano/Pismo Dunes H3 Alpha Pismo 2008

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Why are all these badland owners talking about sand? Wildtraks cannot rock crawl as badlands can't do sand. LOL.

AWESOME STORY!!
Wildtraks can't rock crawl.
Ford Bronco Saved a Raptor this weekend at Oceano/Pismo Dunes IMG_2729
Sponsored