Sponsored

Sayonara! Sold my Bronco and bought a Crosstrek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
Since we are having a friendly debate about it ill just say this.
A good number of EV owners install solar panels on their roofs to help charge their cars.
There's nothing environmentally friendly about solar panels and if it wasn't for subsidies they wouldn't be sold because you'd be paying more for electricity than you do now.

EV is the current "trend" but it's not the future.

I'm hoping the bronco I ordered is my last vehicle and that ford offers a retrofit powerplant for whatever the future has to offer. Where I live cars don't rust so the thing should last as long as I have an engine for it!
Sponsored

long_road

Big Bend
First Name
TR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
202? 4dr CG Big Bend 2.3 7MT (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I sold my Crosstrek last year in anticipation of getting the Bronco. Every time I see another xtrek out on the road, I get seller's remorse. It was probably my favorite car I've ever had.

If it weren't for its abysmal power and total inability to climb any kind of grade offroad, I'd have probably kept the Crosstrek forever.

Definitely not a bad a choice if you need an all around daily driver that can still get you to some fun places out in the woods for camping, fishing, kayaking, etc.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Living in Colorado I grew a distain for Subaruā€™s simply because of all the Outback owners that thought they could drive anywhere even in a blizzard. Well all that matters is you are happy with your ride. Question though, Iā€™ve heard that Subaruā€™s come with a girlfriend for your girlfriend, any truth in that, haha. Kidding. Enjoy the new ride.
Truth by design.

https://priceonomics.com/how-an-ad-campaign-made-lesbians-fall-in-love-with/

It was the mid 1990s, and sales of Subaru cars were in decline. To reverse the companyā€™s fortunes, Subaru of America had created its first luxury carā€”even though the small automaker was known for plain but dependable carsā€”and hired a trendy advertising agency to introduce it to the public.

The new approach had fallen flat when the ad men took irony too far: One ad touted the new sports carā€™s top speed of 140 MPH, then asked, ā€œHow important is that, with extended urban gridlock, gas at $1.38 a gallon and highways full of patrolmen?ā€

After firing the hip ad agency, Subaru of America changed its approach. Rather than compete directly with Ford, Toyota, and other carmakers that dwarfed Subaru in size, executives decided to return to its old focus on marketing Subaru cars to niche groupsā€”like outdoorsy types who liked that Subaru cars could handle dirt roads.

This search for niche groups led Subaru to the 3rd rail of marketing: They discovered that lesbians loved their cars. Lesbians liked their dependability and size, and even the name ā€œSubaru.ā€ They were four times more likely than the average consumer to buy a Subaru.

This was the type of discovery that the small, struggling automaker was looking for. But Subaru had been looking for niche groups like skiers and kayakersā€”not lesbian couples. Did the company want to make advertisements for gay customers? At the time, in the mid 1990s, few celebrities were openly out. A Democratic president had just passed ā€œDonā€™t Ask, Donā€™t Tellā€, and after IKEA aired one of the first major ad campaigns depicting a gay couple, someone had called in a bomb threat on an IKEA store.

Yet Subaru decided to launch an ad campaign focused on lesbian customers. It was such an unusual decisionā€”and such a successā€”that it pushed gay and lesbian advertising from the fringes to the mainstream.

If youā€™ve ever wondered why people joke about lesbians driving Subarus, the reason is not just that lesbians like Subarus. Itā€™s that Subaru cultivated its image as a car for lesbiansā€”and did so at a time when few companies would embrace or even acknowledge their gay customers.

Wark

Base
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Subarus are great vehicles for the snow and light off-road, my wife had a Forester, and those lifted crosstreks are cool looking for sure. Good luck OP.

We had issues with the a/c that never got TSB'd despite being a design flaw, and servicing (and dealing with) the vehicle at the dealership was always a terrible experience. You couldn't get in for weeks (pre-Covid even) and then they wouldn't solve the issues, and we also had some warranty claims disallowed. Also, not a fan of the boxer engine or CVT.

SaveTheManuals

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I also sold my 2 door bronco recently for a similar reason and got a fully loaded 22 mustang gt. You should of been able to get more than what you paid for the bronco. I got almost 10k over msrp on trade in value on my 2 door black diamond. That was also a reason I decided to sell/trade the bronco.

Sponsored

miami2823

Base
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I honestly thought a Crosstrek was a Jeep. Oops.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Subarus are good vehicles and they are also very safe. So good choice on the Crosstrek if it works for you.

I have a 2 door Basesquatch too, my wife and I love it. I know what you mean about the roof rack- or lack of. So pricey and mine won't fit in my garage- too tall- even if I got one. I really need a pick up but will make the Bronco- work- I'll have to invest in a folding trailer to transport the kayaks and paddle boards.

I'm one of those that gets pretty good gas mileage- averaging 21.8 right now. It drives great, the 2.7 moves it effortlessly. While I get good MPG in it it for what it is, it is not good enough to be my daily. I have a 53 MPG VW Jetta for that. I'd love to drive the Bronco daily but 100 mile commute will consume too much gas for me.

Aurongel

Outer Banks
First Name
M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger RT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Congrats on finding a vehicle that works better for you šŸ‘. I canā€™t even say I disagree about any of the points you raise about the Bronco, Iā€™m enjoying mine but itā€™s very far from the perfect vehicle for me.

mykoljay

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Getting 16mpg with my 2dr w/ 35s, that def sucks.
Obviously it's also not going to be as comfortable as most cars or suvs out there for daily driving. That's def true, I found myself not able to sell my 2013 328 just because I like using it to drive on days I commute (will prob give in though).
Now space wise for my family of 4, no complaints, especially since I have an SUV, but I am driving to the beach in the bronco for a 5 night trip today, we just learned to pack light (and will use the roof box to hit the slopes).

Sponsored

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not quite sure what you were thinking getting a Bronco if you were worried about MPG...

Personally, I would have kept the Bronco and bought a cheap gas getter for your commute. We picked up a nice 06 Impala (fleet vehicle so parts a cheap) for like $2600 and it gets like 31 mpg on the highway.

As to the Crosstrek, all I gotta say is good luck off-road. In our local off-road club there is a Cherokee Trailhawk that we wheel with quite a bit and they struggle, STRUGGLE on anything more than an easy trail. They actually just blew up their rear-end in Colorado, had to trailer all the way back to the Kansas City area.

That type of platform just isn't designed to do any real off-roading. Cars that have 4wd will not, cannot keep up with Jeeps and Broncos period.

Have fun with your car and it's bomb proof roof rack.

Osky305

Wildtrak
First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Iā€™m not trolling and will probably get roasted for this, but I could take my 2 door Basesquatch as a daily driver for only 4 months.

Main issues for me were the inability to fold the rears seats flat for cargo, the sketchiness of the load factor for roof cargo and the dismal gas mileage ā€“ for some reason my mpg seemed to decline and I got only 17mpg (275 miles) on my last highway trip. The lack of a 2nd set of doors also proved to be much more of a headache than I anticipated.

Granted, I knew about these potential issues going in, but was also hoping I could make it work for daily driving, but for me it just didnā€™t. So I sold it for what I paid for it, and bought a Crosstrek which has rear seats that fold flat, a bomb proof roof rack and gets 550 highway miles on a tankful. But unlike the Bronco which I think is the best-looking vehicle on the road, a Crosstrek looks like millions of other cars on the road ā€¦ no one is ever going to come up to you at a gas station and say ā€œ nice looking car you got thereā€. So in a way I went from Ginger to Mary Ann.

Donā€™t get me wrong, I think the Bronco is a GREAT car ā€¦ you just need to be realistic if it's going to be a great car for your specific needs.
City boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy šŸ˜¹

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I wish people would quit saying "car" when talking about the Bronco. It's not a car. And as far as gas mileage goes like I've pointed out many times it's most likely your driving that's the problem. There are Broncos out there getting 20+ real world mpg.
I'm downright shocked at the MPGs I get with mine-I'm around 19.5 MPG for around town driving (I drive 13 miles to work), its better then my old '13 SHO I had. I get on it at times at lights when I need too also!

I haven't had it on the highway much, but was around 20 going to LBI last week.

I know if you have sasquatch package your gonna take a hit.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.