Sponsored

Set up Bronco Big Bend for Sleeping in 3 minutes!

final_go

Big Bend
First Name
Flame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A5
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Finally figured a feasible solution to build up a comfortable sleeping space.
- A Leveling Mat ($50) - DeepSleep is the best option I've found so far
- Sleeping Pad (single) $70 - There is plenty of options from Amazon
- Air Pump $13
- Power Station ($200) - Optional, you can definitely plug into the power outlet in the car.

I put the short video here:
Sponsored

Macjr

Black Diamond
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad, 2020 Volvo xc40 RDesign
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

nice, thanks for sharing!!

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Anyone found options for the seat gap? Luno has "base extenders" for their product that would to the job perfectly but they do not appear to sell them as a standalone product.

Shrek27

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

imstimpy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The one time I slept in the cargo area I had a lot of challenges:
1. The mismatched level of the rear cargo space and the folded seats. I used a cargo blanket, towels, and another blanket. Meh. Admittedly I didn't use the sleeping mat I now own.
2. I am 6'0" and I had to sleep diagonally and I still used every inch. I had to basically unpack the Bronco in order to make room to sleep. Then I still had to pull in my legs a bit.
3. Because of my height, my head was on the very edge of the seat. IIRC I stuffed a blanket and a pillow in there.

It is unfortunate it takes so many things to correct such an inconsiderate design.

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The one time I slept in the cargo area I had a lot of challenges:
1. The mismatched level of the rear cargo space and the folded seats. I used a cargo blanket, towels, and another blanket. Meh. Admittedly I didn't use the sleeping mat I now own.
2. I am 6'0" and I had to sleep diagonally and I still used every inch. I had to basically unpack the Bronco in order to make room to sleep. Then I still had to pull in my legs a bit.
3. Because of my height, my head was on the very edge of the seat. IIRC I stuffed a blanket and a pillow in there.

It is unfortunate it takes so many things to correct such an inconsiderate design.
I am also 6 ft and find sleeping in the back to be extremely comfortable as long as you do a bit of preparation. You need to move the passenger seat all the way up which opens up around 76 inches of room. Then you need to spend around $100 on some gear

DeepSleep leveling mat $45
https://deepsleepoverland.com/colle...t-for-ford-bronco-more?variant=43271974715558

A cheap seat gap filler from Amazon or use something you already have in the vehicle (some have reported using their water containers). This works perfectly
https://a.co/d/65OjQNc

An inflatable mat already own one. For sleeping in the back I use a cheap self inflating mat. I would stay away from the Deepsleep mat itself. It looks very comfortable but is too expensive for my taste, too bulky and time consuming to put up and down, and too thick which will preclude me sitting on the map without bumping my head in the top.
https://a.co/d/9sWAkkM
I have been unable to find a 22inch or wider half length self inflating mat. With the Deepsleep leveling mat under your feet you don't need anything else down there. Some day I will get around to cutting my self inflating mat down to size and resealing it to minimize the bulk of my sleeping gear.

Pillows are very important to me and a major issue when I go backpacking. For sleeping in the back of the Bronco I treat myself to
https://a.co/d/gVNfHvR

I am a very finicky sleeper but with the above setup I usually sleep like a baby. The size of the cargo area is the one and only reason I own a Bronco. There is no other true 4x4 (other than a truck with a shell) that will accommodate a 6ft+ sleeper in the back without the need to sleep diagonally.
Sponsored

Last edited: