Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Previously: '83 and '95 Bronco XLTs. RIP.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Here is an interesting solution I found on google. Someone in a 2door jeep put a hammock diagonal in there. No need to deal with uneven floor and should allow for more length if it goes from corner to corner with the seats folded. Can't really tell where the front passenger seat is, assuming it is tilted all the way forward but possible it was removed.
Ford Bronco Sleeping in 2 Door Bronco 1638308182269

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've been thinking about this more lately. I do have a 40' diesel pusher that I tow my Bronco with and it's great for many things, but sometimes it's overkill especially if it's just me on a trip with my Clamper buddies or an over-nighter, or if we're camping far off of decent roads (though I've been known to take my pusher down some pretty iffy roads LOL). So I've been thinking of some "smaller footprint" camping solutions.

I never really understood the enthusiasm for turning the Bronco (or Jeep) itself into the sleeping quarters, with either an interior sleeping space or a roof-top tent or an attached dealio that sits next to the vehicle and incorporates it. In the case of the RTT's and side-tents, it takes just as much effort to set up as it does a freestanding tent. With the in-vehicle sleeping arrangements, in many cases you have to do some sort of conversion first, or at least re-arranging all your shit, before you can sleep in there.

In each case, if you're setting up a central campsite for a multi-day trip, and hitting trails each day without moving your camp, you have to break down your camp anyhow in order to use the vehicle. And rooftop tents come with the added cons of having all of that weight on the roof as well as having to climb up and down that ladder in the middle of the night to take a piss.

I do like the idea of a small trailer. It can be left at camp while you go explore, your camp can stay set up, you're not carrying your camping equipment around everywhere during the week, and you can haul more stuff. I've thought of off-road teardrops, converted military trailers, or even tiny self-contained RV trailers like a Scamp or Casita. If no trailer, I prefer the idea of carrying and pitching a stand-alone tent as needed. But I do realize neither of these methods has the added benefit of screaming "Overlander Here!" to all the other pavement pounders during your commute :)

By the way, I'm also not averse to simply leaning the driver seat back, pulling a blanket over, and grabbing a few winks. BTDT many times.

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Keep in mind, sleeping on a car or truck sucks, ladder in and out in the cold. And forget about having to pee. It's a whole ordeal to get out of a rooftop tent.

mdk100

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, Cayenne, BMW X3e, 2 door BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve been thinking about this too. Mostly have been a tent camper, but my last outing in Moab seemed to be during gale force winds. Not good tent weather. I’m not sure a rooftop tent would be any better in those conditions.

I found the following setup on a Wrangler forum, where they used a cot across the seats. Not sure this would work in the Bronco, but there is probably a bit more space to try. Just a thought if someone wants to try.
Ford Bronco Sleeping in 2 Door Bronco IMG_3527
Ford Bronco Sleeping in 2 Door Bronco IMG_3528

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I intend to modify my HF trailer as an off-ground and off-road sleeping solution. You can easily put a tent on top of this 4'x8' trailer (it's superlight). With a few simple mods, this trailer is an excellent base for camping. Some larger rims/tires and a different hitch and it would be very off-road capable. These little trailers rock.

Ford Bronco Sleeping in 2 Door Bronco HF 1720 trailer

They have a 1720 lb working weight, they weigh around 300 lbs, and are cheap. Additionally, they fold for storage. You can use 3/4" oak plywood for a floor and they are plenty stiff and tough for just about any use you can imagine.

If you make two 4'x4' modules, you can detach the modules and stack them for storage, then fold up the trailer to minimize storage space. One module for food, supplies, and power. One module for tent and creature comforts. It's a simple, but flexible, base camp solution.

tidallock

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Appreciate all of the feedback! For reference, I am 6 feet tall so I'm probably not going to fit unless I look into removing the front passenger seat and flatten it all. I love the aesthetic of the 2 door Bronco but the 4 door is starting to look more and more practical. Gonna make due with what I have! I do like the idea of the tent that hangs off the back...
What did you end up doing?

I'm considering removing the front passenger seat as well.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wife and I slept in our 2 door one night. She thought it was fine at 5'5". My knees hurt at 5'8" and i was more comfortable sitting innthe passenger seat. Mind you, we are empty nesters.

That was all due to a weather issue. We normally just use a tent on the ground. Takes about 20 to put down and 30 to pack up.

0 interest in a rooftop tent. Concerned about being top heavy driving on mountains.

Cali Gaucho

Base
First Name
Cali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is one of the reasons I got the 4 door. Been nomading in it for almost a year. :)
That cot across the passenger side could be viable. Either way... Enjoy.

Amubu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm getting into the Overlanding arena as well, I have an m116A3 generator trailer that I'm converting into a squaredrop trailer with a 270* awning. Until that happens, the 270 is too long for my 2dr, but I picked up an ARB 2000x2500 awning with the awning room. I'll be using that for my camping solutions until the trailer is built.

Ford Bronco Sleeping in 2 Door Bronco 20220411_193848
Ford Bronco Sleeping in 2 Door Bronco 20220414_184827
Ford Bronco Sleeping in 2 Door Bronco arb awning roomclosed
Ford Bronco Sleeping in 2 Door Bronco arb awning room

Sponsored

Rory Shields

Badlands
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have this dream of going cross country with my Bronco in the springtime. Just came in 2 weeks ago. Got a 2 Door Outerbanks with the hard top and a 2.7L engine. I've been researching hardcore into different sleeping options such as rooftop tents, and trailers. I really like the idea of sleeping within the vehicle itself and was wondering if anyone's had any experience with this yet.

The rooftop tent seems like a good option too but I've heard concerns over the weight limit on top of the vehicle, and current mounting options. Just wondering if anyone has any plans for when the time does come.

Thanks.
If you take the front passenger seat out and put in a deck in that spot you can easily sleep in a 2 door bronco. I have mine in single seat mode and there is tons of space.

broox

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Website
broox.com
Vehicle(s)
BMW M4, Bronco Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the main issue with taking the front passenger seat out would probably be seatbelt + SRS airbag warnings on the dash, but that might be easily solved with the appropriate resistor(s).

i know that the rear seatbelt delete warnings can be solved by either leaving the buckle attached or adding a 2.4ohm resistor to the wiring harness. it'd be great if the front seat warnings could be removed with a resistor as well... i'm just not quite sure that i want to start touching airbag electronics to find out, hah.

fwiw - i did this same thing in my 2-door jeep for a solo trip and had airbag SRS lights the entire time, but they went away after putting the seat back in.

there was some discrepancy on whether the airbag system would still function with the warning on, or whether it was completely disabled. personally, i'd sure like for it to still function with the seat out.

here are some pics of my jeep setup:

Ford Bronco Sleeping in 2 Door Bronco jeep-platform-1
Ford Bronco Sleeping in 2 Door Bronco jeep-platform-2
Ford Bronco Sleeping in 2 Door Bronco jeep-platform-3
Ford Bronco Sleeping in 2 Door Bronco jeep-platform-4
Ford Bronco Sleeping in 2 Door Bronco jeep-platform-5
Ford Bronco Sleeping in 2 Door Bronco jeep-platform-6
Sponsored