Sponsored

Shouldn’t Ford allow to switch camera views via buttons while rock crawling?

Herbert

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Shouldn’t Ford allow to switch camera views via buttons while rock crawling? Bronco_cam_

Video source
Seems pretty uncomfortable to do it on the screen, when you want to swiftly check out tires for instance and switch back to standard view.
Buttons on the steering wheel could’ve been overwritten in some cases (like engaging rock crawling mode & press like once some icon on the touch screen to activate the overwrite)
Sponsored

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Yeah, the fewer times a user has to go through a touch screen menu, the better.

Touch screen functionality meant for use while the vehicle is in motion really should be limited to broad gestures (swiping, maybe pinch zoom) and "pressing" limited to four or five general areas (center, quadrants). That's about all they should be expecting somebody to do at a glance while being jostled.

What would be REALLY cool for rock crawl mode, is having one camera displayed in the center dash, and one camera displayed in the large dash screen. So you hit your "hey Bronco, I'm rock crawling" button (and meet whatever safety criteria are required to stay in rock crawl mode) and it defaults to rear-view in the instrument cluster and front-view in the big screen.

Then, if you want to swap the views, just swipe in either direction on the big screen and it's done. One brush of the hand.

Alternatively, for the 360° stitched view - keep it all in the big display where pressing and holding generally in the center brings up the world view, then swiping up, down, left, or right gives you the camera view for front, rear, left, or right sides. Maybe even finger and thumb on left and right halves or top and bottom halves to bring up the left/right or front/rear cameras in a split screen.

Perfect name for this gesture-based interface would be the "Bronco Wave" by the way.

(hey aftermarket people, are you listening?)

harperrb

Wildtrak
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Seems a lot more complicated than you're making it.

Two buttons that do nothing but camera?a lot of realestate for something that will be used rarely in all but 5% of vehicles.

Do the buttons do anything if not in camera mode? Do they override everything else you're doing? What if you're backing up, turning the wheel and accidentally hit the buttons while referencing the camera?

To have mechanical buttons interface with the display you'd need a additional module in the dash to convert the signal. Is there space for that? How much does that impact sale price, wiring + connections and parts - more to go wrong.

The video is from a pre production car. We know nothing about what is final, placeholder etc

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Shouldn’t Ford allow to switch camera views via buttons while rock crawling? E04F0CE1-B77F-4BEE-ACD1-46D47879B25C

Video source
Seems pretty uncomfortable to do it on the screen, when you want to swiftly check out tires for instance and switch back to standard view.
Buttons on the steering wheel could’ve been overwritten in some cases (like engaging rock crawling mode & press like once some icon on the touch screen to activate the overwrite)
The reality is that it would likely expose Ford to a lawsuit from some numbnuts who crashes their vehicle while playing with the camera view. You might dismiss that, but I am certain it's a consideration and a balance between what is technically possible, and what is legally feasible because of litigious consumers.
- Yes, your Honor, I did burn myself because I spilled my hot coffee on my lap while driving and not paying attention but McDonalds didn't mark the cup that it was hot. :rolleyes:
- Yes your honor, I did engage the cruise control on my RV and go into the back to make my lunch but the manufacturer wasn't clear in the owners manual that you shouldn't leave the drivers seat after turning it on. :rolleyes:
- Yes your honor I did cut myself while using my chainsaw but I didn't know it was sharp and could do that. :rolleyes:
And a future lawsuit:
- Yes your honor, I was playing with the camera buttons while driving off road, but Ford didn't say that I could drive off a cliff if I did that. :rolleyes:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Herbert

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That‘s interesting, so double-press “cam” button returns you to front view (it should at least, as driver pointed out, yet in the clip it worked as an off-switch and after he pressed it again it generally switches back on in front view, might be a pre-production bug).

if I could double-press from front view to “wheels” and double-press back, that would be a nice feature.

But...this button is still to far and sits among lots of others, while on the steering wheel they are already at your finger tips! For example you could long-press “Ok” button to overwrite ”up” and ”down” arrows to switch cam views and long-press again to cancel the overwrite!

Ford Bronco Shouldn’t Ford allow to switch camera views via buttons while rock crawling? 72BB1967-D33F-4DD2-B65E-A55CD37B8AA7

Last edited:

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you see your left front tire to rock crawl without the camera? if you take the fender flares off?
Sponsored