First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I recently to a trip to a state park that required a dune flag (Sand Hollow State Park). I bought a flag, not thinking that it wouldn't be mount-ready. For the trip, we rigged up something behind the spare tire, but that left me trying to decide where I should mount it in the future. I have the capable bumper (without the detachable endcaps), so that ruled out the mounts I've seen for the modular bumper. I found a mount that attaches to the spare tire carrier, but I'm too OCD to want to see that attached all of the time without a flag. Plus, some parks require flags to be mounted to the front of the vehicle. There are mounts for the trail sights, but the flag would interfere with GoPro video. I got the idea of mounting a flag at the accessory mount of the rearview mirrors, but I couldn't find any. I did find a pod light bracket kit for the F-150 that looked like it would work. When I got it, I realized I would need to drill out the hole for the flag (the minor DIY part), but otherwise, it's a perfect solution.

Ford Bronco Slightly DIY dune flag mount solution tempImagebPnQVQ

The bracket is angled so the bolt that attaches it to the Bronco is easily accessed with the wrench and Torx T30 bit that comes with the Bronco toolkit. The bracket can be rotated in any direction. That's my 2.5" stubby antenna for reference.
Ford Bronco Slightly DIY dune flag mount solution tempImagecVG8DN

The flag can be easily detached with the quick disconnect when we want to get back on the road. When I'm done using the flag for the trip, it takes only a minute to completely remove the mount, if I want.
Ford Bronco Slightly DIY dune flag mount solution tempImagezVJvgh

The light pod brackets I bought: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C6D3LYXL

Also needed were 4 1/2" washers because my flag mount came with a nylon locking nut that wouldn't let it screw down as far as I needed it to go.

The flag I bought was from Handy Flag: https://www.handyflag.com/product-page/orange-handy-flag-kit-1

Oh--the brackets come in pairs for $17. I only need one. If anyone else wants this solution, I'm happy to sell my other one for $8.50 and I'll cover the shipping. Win/win! :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That seems like a lot of stress on that one small screw holding the bracket in place.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That seems like a lot of stress on that one small screw holding the bracket in place.
Agree. Tall flag puts a lot of leverage on that one screw. My pod light mounts use 2 screws to attach and would be twice as strong.

Robs

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I recently to a trip to a state park that required a dune flag (Sand Hollow State Park). I bought a flag, not thinking that it wouldn't be mount-ready. For the trip, we rigged up something behind the spare tire, but that left me trying to decide where I should mount it in the future. I have the capable bumper (without the detachable endcaps), so that ruled out the mounts I've seen for the modular bumper. I found a mount that attaches to the spare tire carrier, but I'm too OCD to want to see that attached all of the time without a flag. Plus, some parks require flags to be mounted to the front of the vehicle. There are mounts for the trail sights, but the flag would interfere with GoPro video. I got the idea of mounting a flag at the accessory mount of the rearview mirrors, but I couldn't find any. I did find a pod light bracket kit for the F-150 that looked like it would work. When I got it, I realized I would need to drill out the hole for the flag (the minor DIY part), but otherwise, it's a perfect solution.

The bracket is angled so the bolt that attaches it to the Bronco is easily accessed with the wrench and Torx T30 bit that comes with the Bronco toolkit. The bracket can be rotated in any direction. That's my 2.5" stubby antenna for reference.

The flag can be easily detached with the quick disconnect when we want to get back on the road. When I'm done using the flag for the trip, it takes only a minute to completely remove the mount, if I want.

The light pod brackets I bought: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C6D3LYXL

Also needed were 4 1/2" washers because my flag mount came with a nylon locking nut that wouldn't let it screw down as far as I needed it to go.

The flag I bought was from Handy Flag: https://www.handyflag.com/product-page/orange-handy-flag-kit-1

Oh--the brackets come in pairs for $17. I only need one. If anyone else wants this solution, I'm happy to sell my other one for $8.50 and I'll cover the shipping. Win/win! :)
How about just using an angle iron from Home Depot bent to the needed shape and painted in your favorite bronco color? ?? Probably cost about $2.50

Sponsored
OP
OP
timhood

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll admit I haven't tested this yet, but the width of the bracket spreads the load and should prevent sideways flex so that the screw only needs to supply the downforce. But we'll see. I don't have a lot invested in this, so I'm not afraid to take the loss if need be. The flag is pretty light, too.

OP
OP
timhood

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agree. Tall flag puts a lot of leverage on that one screw. My pod light mounts use 2 screws to attach and would be twice as strong.
If I had seen something that used both screws, I would have gotten that, as long as the price was reasonable. I don't have the tools to fabricate anything. I liked that these are aluminum.
Sponsored