Smittybilt x20 Gen3

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 WildTrak; '06 Whippl'd Mustang (sold4upgrades)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was about to pull the trigger on a Warn VR EVO 10-s 10k, as I've always used Warn previously, but then came across the Smittybilt X20 Gen3 10k. I'm not able to find many reviews on this, plenty on the XRC or x20 Gen2, but it seems a few forum members are running this winch. Any free spool issues like with the XRC? the X20 Gen2 seems to be pretty well reviewed and liked... The Smitty is ~$115 cheaper than the Warn also.

How do those with the X20 Gen3 like it? I'd like to get some thoughts on the Smitty vs the Warn..

Note - I'm leaning toward the JCR Vanguard winch bumper for it to go on...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Chritaka

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Bump... Anybody have feedback on the Smitty X20 Gen3? For only $115 difference, I feel Warn is the obvious choice, but really curious about this latest Smittybilt offering...

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bump... Anybody have feedback on the Smitty X20 Gen3? For only $115 difference, I feel Warn is the obvious choice, but really curious about this latest Smittybilt offering...
I just bought the x20 gen 3 12k. I got it a couple of days ago but the weather has been shit and looking at the forecast it looks like I won't be able to install it for awhile. All I can say right now is that it feels solid.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
10K is certainly the low end of the spectrum for a Bronco winch, 12K will give you better safety margin if your rig will have a lot of extra weight added.

That being said, I have the smitty 10k gen2 X20, it was a black friday deal for nearly half off. Price was so good I had to pull the trigger (from a major off road company, BNIB).

It's still sitting in the box, and the JCR Vanguard bumper is also sitting in the garage waiting for install. Will update with impressions hopefully after next weekend's install party.

Personally, once Warn offloaded production, manufacturing and QC to China there stopped being a compelling reason to pay the "Made in America" tax for Warn products.

Arlo.Overland

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have the X20 Gen3 10K, I've used it once and had no issues. I ran the X20 Gen2 on my TJ for years never had a problem. Had warn Zeon on my last jeep and had problems with the wireless winch connecting and disconnecting. My buddy had the same Zeon winch and when he ran his winch next to mine, mine would connect to his controller

OP
OP
Chritaka

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had placed an order for the Warn VR EVO 10-s back in Jan, but due to the recall on the wireless remote it still hadn't shipped, so I cancelled it. Apparently their fix is to only provide wired remotes now, which was a major selling point for me that was just nixed... The Smittybilt X20 Gen3 12k has a switch to enable/disable wireless so it can't randomly go off, an extra safety Warn doesn't have. The remote is also IP65 rated and the winch is IP68 rated per a Smittybilt Tech. Both lines made in China...so a wash there. Smitty has a lifetime mechanical and 5 year electrical warranty. Warn is lifetime mechanical and 7 year electrical....

I found the Smittybilt X20 Gen3 12k w/synthetic for $561.97 online and 4WP price matched it, so I pulled the trigger. Everyone I've talked to about it only had positive things to say and have been really happy with it. I figured a win/win at that price point. It even beats out the HF Badlands at that price, and definitely the warranty.
Sponsored