RalBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
been racking my brain (no pun) on how I will transfer surfboards on my incoming bronco with a soft top. Am I missing something, or could someone in my shoes use those old-school soft racks that tighten inside the vehicle? I haven't used something like this in about 20 years. See link for an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Surfboard-LO...ocphy=9009731&hvtargid=pla-570199129148&psc=1

the only potential issue i immediately foresee could be the fact that the doors aren't fully framed. Anyone have thoughts?
Sponsored

Tortuga353

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’d think it could work and just use roll bars to tie-off? Don’t have one yet so just guessing.

OP
OP

RalBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford made a beach concept - Maybe some inspiration?
Interesting. It looks like this model is rocking the racks that you can put up top, but only with the soft top down. Certainly doable- of course, the only problem is navigating the weather like a hawk, and potentially being held up by any rain event. I know there will be cages etc available at some point, but I hope I don’t have to go that route - I had one on an old Jeep and while they’re effective, I’m only a weekend warrior these days when it comes to surfing. Thanks for the link!

OP
OP

RalBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’d think it could work and just use roll bars to tie-off? Don’t have one yet so just guessing.
That was sort of my thinking.

Sponsored

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There's another thread, and I recall finding a bunch of options.

Sponsored
OP
OP

RalBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
I bookmarked some good info shared by @MellowYellow in this thread re: surfboard storage: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ith-the-bronco-owner-review-experience.26386/

Good pics in initial post and a little later in the thread, he replied with more details.
Thanks for the link. Sounds like this guy is doing something similar to what I'm asking about. I'm hoping I can find a way to make it work and have it be strong and reliable enough for highway speeds, as opposed to just a quick jump down to the water.

As for the exposed racks that were linked above, those are the kind that can only be implemented when the soft top is down. Certainly a viable option for that scenario, but also limiting, as they're extremely weather dependent. Summer storms are listed on the weather report almost daily here in NC during the summer months, whether or not they end up actually occurring.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the link. Sounds like this guy is doing something similar to what I'm asking about. I'm hoping I can find a way to make it work and have it be strong and reliable enough for highway speeds, as opposed to just a quick jump down to the water.

As for the exposed racks that were linked above, those are the kind that can only be implemented when the soft top is down. Certainly a viable option for that scenario, but also limiting, as they're extremely weather dependent. Summer storms are listed on the weather report almost daily here in NC during the summer months, whether or not they end up actually occurring.
Same state, same predicament.
exposed racks is the best option...as long as we don't mind getting soaked in a downpour in the afternoons.
EXO racks are the ticket, but then again, expensive, large, and can be just one more thing to deal with while getting the top up/down/off.
Genuinely curious what you end up going with, and how it works out.

OP
OP

RalBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Same state, same predicament.
exposed racks is the best option...as long as we don't mind getting soaked in a downpour in the afternoons.
EXO racks are the ticket, but then again, expensive, large, and can be just one more thing to deal with while getting the top up/down/off.
Genuinely curious what you end up going with, and how it works out.
Amen. I know I'll land on something at some point. I'll try to remember to update on this thread whenever that is.

Papow

Base
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

been racking my brain (no pun) on how I will transfer surfboards on my incoming bronco with a soft top. Am I missing something, or could someone in my shoes use those old-school soft racks that tighten inside the vehicle? I haven't used something like this in about 20 years. See link for an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Surfboard-LO...ocphy=9009731&hvtargid=pla-570199129148&psc=1

the only potential issue i immediately foresee could be the fact that the doors aren't fully framed. Anyone have thoughts?
Like you I am looking for a rack solution. For me it is for whitewater kayaks. My playboats are short and can fit in a hitch basket, but I am looking at these as well. They are priced a bit steep, but seem like they might be a good solution.

https://www.hitchmount-rack.com/

theslide

Big Bend
First Name
Slide
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Like you I am looking for a rack solution. For me it is for whitewater kayaks. My playboats are short and can fit in a hitch basket, but I am looking at these as well. They are priced a bit steep, but seem like they might be a good solution.

https://www.hitchmount-rack.com/
Yes..the hitchmount looks like the ticket. You can have your soft top up or down without rack restriction. It'll also work on a pickup truck--which is cool added bonus..
Sponsored