Sponsored

Someone drove off with my Bronco! (not really, but makes me think...)

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

However, been anxious about this since I tend to leave it running when I'm out on the trail and walk away. Sometimes several hundred yards. I don't really think anyone will take it out there (I guess they could joyride it through the pumpkins), but it does raise a question.

What would happen if someone jumped in my Bronco after I got out and left it running? Would not having the key nearby force it to stop? 🤔
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

It's interesting, I figured without 10 miles it would start to lose speed or something. The park to drive lockout I didn't expect per se.
For liability I can't see Ford having it die or lose speed and cause an accident when most cases will be someone forgetting the key vice having it stolen. Shifting into park makes sense, at that point you're stationary but screwed if it's your vehicle!

joez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My wife has a 2015 mustang with the key fob. One day I was driving I gave her the key fob and she got out of the car. I drove around the block, after with out any problems. when I went around the corner something came up on the dash about missing key fob. I assume the bronco will work the same.

Sponsored

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You’ll get a warning message that the key is not detected, but the vehicle will still be fully driveable. You wouldn’t be able to restart it without the key though if the ignition was switched off.

You can always take they key with you when you get out and just lock it before you walk away. That’s what I do. I’d recommend disabling the double honk if you do this on the regular though.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There was a post a while back about a guy who left his keys at the beach or they fell out of the car or something and he parked across town and came back to an inoperable bronco as his key was miles away.

El Bronco Blanco

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Explorer XLT, 2021 Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What is the reason for leaving it running at the trail? Can you stop it, and then use the remote start on the key? Effectively leaving the AC run, yet the car is locked? Not positive but I'm pretty sure you can lengthen the time it will idle before shutting off too in the settings.

Firewrench

Base
First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch, F-350, Slingshot, H-D TriGlide
Your Bronco Model
Base
Happened to a buddy with his Harley. Fob was on the bench next to bike. It started up and away he went. Everything was fine until he stopped for a burger…

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is the reason for leaving it running at the trail? Can you stop it, and then use the remote start on the key? Effectively leaving the AC run, yet the car is locked? Not positive but I'm pretty sure you can lengthen the time it will idle before shutting off too in the settings.
When you're wheeling, you're in and out all the time. Sometimes I think I'll be out for just a second but then go to investigate the trail and end up walking away a bit. Sometimes it's just a PITA to keep starting/stopping.

Sponsored
OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Happened to a buddy with his Harley. Fob was on the bench next to bike. It started up and away he went. Everything was fine until he stopped for a burger…
21st Century problems. :whistle:

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You’ll get a warning message that the key is not detected, but the vehicle will still be fully driveable. You wouldn’t be able to restart it without the key though if the ignition was switched off.

You can always take they key with you when you get out and just lock it before you walk away. That’s what I do. I’d recommend disabling the double honk if you do this on the regular though.
It never leaves my pocket. The double honk has deafened me in my right ear, already deaf in my left (thanks COVID), can't hear it at all!! :oops:

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here's what you need to do:
Ford Bronco Someone drove off with my Bronco! (not really, but makes me think...) 1692886034195

Oh, and if you leave it running at a Gas station or 7-11 and walk away, you DESERVE to have it driven off.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Tangentially related story:

This reminds of when I returned to college during my break in service from the Army. I was the only dude in an apartment with 6 females. The apartment I sublet with them was right on campus. This was 2006 and I had gotten a Mustang GT and modded it (how clichéd).

Anyway, I was coming out of class one afternoon and heard the unmistakable sound of my car rumbling away. I hit a much fast stride and came around the corner of a building to see the back of my car wiping around the corner and headed off of campus. It turns out of my roommates wanted to borrow it and she knew where my keys were in my room. I was mad as hell but slightly impressed she figured out how to drive a manual without destroying my clutch. lol

It is one of those small moments in life that is burned into my memory. The entire episode... the weather, the smells, the sun and time of day being broken by the sound I knew but shouldn't be hearing... not exactly running but moving quickly to turn the corner of the red stone college building to see the read quarter of my car whipping around a street corner and disappearing... the thought in my head of what the f@#$ and rushing into the apartment to grab my flip phone cell phone to call the cops... to my other roommates laughter suddenly stopping when they saw me practically smash through the front door of our apartment... their tentative and worried explanation that it was just (name redacted) borrowing it because she thought it was cool... to the long actious 37 minute wait for her to return with my car... he weak excuse that she thought I was in class an hour later than I actually was... like that was a valid reason to borrow it... to me finally chilling back to normal when I saw the car was fine... I put a lock on my door from then on... but still the only time I ever had a car "stolen."

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I found out yesterday that if the vehicle is on, and the key is not near, it will not go into drive. I was working on my 68 with my bud, when he said hey let me move the Bronco. I was wondering why it was not moving, when he asked, how do you put it in reverse? I thought he was kidding, but then I realized I had the key in my pocket. When it gave it to him, it went into reverse.
Sponsored