Sponsored

Someone drove off with my Bronco! (not really, but makes me think...)

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tangentially related story:

This reminds of when I returned to college during my break in service from the Army. I was the only dude in an apartment with 6 females. The apartment I sublet with them was right on campus. This was 2006 and I had gotten a Mustang GT and modded it (how clichéd).

Anyway, I was coming out of class one afternoon and heard the unmistakable sound of my car rumbling away. I hit a much fast stride and came around the corner of a building to see the back of my car wiping around the corner and headed off of campus. It turns out of my roommates wanted to borrow it and she knew where my keys were in my room. I was mad as hell but slightly impressed she figured out how to drive a manual without destroying my clutch. lol

It is one of those small moments in life that is burned into my memory. The entire episode... the weather, the smells, the sun and time of day being broken by the sound I knew but shouldn't be hearing... not exactly running but moving quickly to turn the corner of the red stone college building to see the read quarter of my car whipping around a street corner and disappearing... the thought in my head of what the f@#$ and rushing into the apartment to grab my flip phone cell phone to call the cops... to my other roommates laughter suddenly stopping when they saw me practically smash through the front door of our apartment... their tentative and worried explanation that it was just (name redacted) borrowing it because she thought it was cool... to the long actious 37 minute wait for her to return with my car... he weak excuse that she thought I was in class an hour later than I actually was... like that was a valid reason to borrow it... to me finally chilling back to normal when I saw the car was fine... I put a lock on my door from then on... but still the only time I ever had a car "stolen."
i posted this because I had a nightmare mine got stolen while I was running to a car accident. Same feeling when I looked back and saw it go around the corner. Thankfully never had anything stolen either… 🤞
Sponsored

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What is the reason for leaving it running at the trail?
I'll occasionally leave mine running when I hop out to take a photo up in the hills, just because I don't want to answer half a dozen stupid questions, like yes, I know the tires are low (by the same amount), yes I want to leave it in the same trail mode, and so on.

Sometimes the "nanny" features can be really annoying.

cbeech70

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22PBF150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My Big Bend has secure idle, as have all my Fords since at least my 16 Mustang have had, if you leave the vehicle running and get out with the key fob it won't shift into drive after your are 20 or so feet away. If you have it in drive and the person with the key gets out you can drive it until you put it in park or turn it off.

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Big Bend has secure idle, as have all my Fords since at least my 16 Mustang have had, if you leave the vehicle running and get out with the key fob it won't shift into drive after your are 20 or so feet away. If you have it in drive and the person with the key gets out you can drive it until you put it in park or turn it off.
What about if I get out while it's still in drive? Actually done that about half dozen times, at least started to before I realized... Once got out in drive and it was off but it rolled about two feet before I got back in. Was headed straight for my neighbor's garage door. 👀

cbeech70

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22PBF150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What about if I get out while it's still in drive? Actually done that about half dozen times, at least started to before I realized... Once got out in drive and it was off but it rolled about two feet before I got back in. Was headed straight for my neighbor's garage door. 👀
My BB doesn't do it, but my 22 F150 Powerboost would shift it's self into park if you did that. Not sure if the higher trims have that feature in the Bronco or not.

Sponsored

APhysicist

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
I saw a girl delivering UberEats leaving her car running to pick up an order at a cafe. When she walked into the cafe, some dude jumped in her car and drove off with it. Can never be too careful around other people.

Dog

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Tangentially related story:

This reminds of when I returned to college during my break in service from the Army. I was the only dude in an apartment with 6 females. The apartment I sublet with them was right on campus. This was 2006 and I had gotten a Mustang GT and modded it (how clichéd).

Anyway, I was coming out of class one afternoon and heard the unmistakable sound of my car rumbling away. I hit a much fast stride and came around the corner of a building to see the back of my car wiping around the corner and headed off of campus. It turns out of my roommates wanted to borrow it and she knew where my keys were in my room. I was mad as hell but slightly impressed she figured out how to drive a manual without destroying my clutch. lol

It is one of those small moments in life that is burned into my memory. The entire episode... the weather, the smells, the sun and time of day being broken by the sound I knew but shouldn't be hearing... not exactly running but moving quickly to turn the corner of the red stone college building to see the read quarter of my car whipping around a street corner and disappearing... the thought in my head of what the f@#$ and rushing into the apartment to grab my flip phone cell phone to call the cops... to my other roommates laughter suddenly stopping when they saw me practically smash through the front door of our apartment... their tentative and worried explanation that it was just (name redacted) borrowing it because she thought it was cool... to the long actious 37 minute wait for her to return with my car... he weak excuse that she thought I was in class an hour later than I actually was... like that was a valid reason to borrow it... to me finally chilling back to normal when I saw the car was fine... I put a lock on my door from then on... but still the only time I ever had a car "stolen."

Let me get this straight - you were in college and shared an apartment with 6 chics, and this is the best story you got? Lame... ;)
Sponsored